360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advise between these two reels. I am looking to get either for my Carnage 2 popping rod. Thinking about a BG 6500, or a Lethal 100 that I sold to a friend two years ago, but he never took it out of the box, and has the reel only has about two hours of fishing on it. I can buy it back from him for $100, or spend a little more for the BG reel? Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not familiar with the Fin Nor but the BG6500 is a beast for the money. A 74 and 95lb tuna two years ago and it handled them just fine.
Wow, I'm impressed with results like that from the BG users...starting to have problems locating the 6500 size for a reasonable price. Thinking the 8000 would be a bit much for tossing poppers and Halco's all night. I've heard great reviews on the Lethal 100 as a top rated low end tuna reel. That's why I bought one, but sold it to my friend because I was leaning more toward conventional reels for casting.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Both have pros and cons. BG is smoother. LETHAL is stronger and +drag...
BG 5.3ratio is faster 48.5" and 53"....lethal100 4.9/ 45", +powerful....if half the time jigging/ bottom would go with lethal, more versatile. Mainly topwater?go to 6500...only topwater and bigger fish? maybe 8000 spool: +yds braid(and only +1oz, no braid).
*I have a bg5000 that was submerged in saltwater!!, on sunday. I have to clean it!.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good points on all reasons for each there!👍I'll probably be throwing Halco's and maybe some poppers. Not sure if the 8000 is to heavy for casting all night...I know it would take a crap load of line to fill it to, so there's that? I will be putting it on a Penn carnage 2 popping rod. I think it is rated for 60-80# braid.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd buy the Lethal & upgrade the knob & still be less than BG...
Read Alan Hawk's reviews of both
Yeah, that's why I was considering buying back the Lethal 100 from my friend for $100. He never took it out of the box, and I used it very lightly for a couple hours of fishing before selling it to him.
I did read the Alan Hawk review, which triggered my to buy it in the first place. Replacing the knob on the handle? I guess like an aftermarket power knob? Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I ended up getting my Lethal 100 back from my buddy with a trade. Gave him one of my conventional combos that I got for kings and cobia, etc., but rarely used it. So, think I will still keep my eye open for a BG 6500, if I find one for a price I can't resist. Oh, still curious about an upgrade on the knob too?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would go for a 6500 bg magsealed, more drag and even smoother. They go for around 135 euros in Europe. All black... I have one on an80 lb popping rod, and love it. I have a normal bg 5000 as well for a jigging rod, that can handle still a lot of line and is a lot lighter. But still bought a new saragossa 14000 love that one as well for a lighter popper set up...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would go for a 6500 bg magsealed, more drag and even smoother. They go for around 135 euros in Europe. All black... I have one on an80 lb popping rod, and love it. I have a normal bg 5000 as well for a jigging rod, that can handle still a lot of line and is a lot lighter. But still bought a new saragossa 14000 love that one as well for a lighter popper set up...
That's a nice reel for the money! Not sure how to get one in the U.S. though?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thought I would bring this post up again, just because I have ended up buying both reels, the Lethal 100, and a BG 6500. The BG 6500 is on Amazon for $109.99 with free shipping. That's a great deal if any of you need an inexpensive, or back up reel?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Penn Slammer 6500HS (Black and Red in color) would be a much better option over the other 2 reels you mentioned.
Yeah, I probably would have went that route if I wasn't supplying tackle for two people, only 1-2 tuna trips a year, and the Slammer is about $120-$150 more than the BG or Lethal. I may eventually try to get one if either of these fail me. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts