360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on a 8 day trip out of Clearwater FL on a 83ft parytboat for just fam and friends. We will fish our way down to the keys and then back. Anyone use diamond jigs in 400ft or deeper? We will fish the Pully ridge area a little bit. I have used them for years for jacks in 250ft and less but never really fished over 280ft in the gulf.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Going on a 8 day trip out of Clearwater FL on a 83ft parytboat for just fam and friends. We will fish our way down to the keys and then back. Anyone use diamond jigs in 400ft or deeper? We will fish the Pully ridge area a little bit. I have used them for years for jacks in 250ft and less but never really fished over 280ft in the gulf.
Which ship is it? I have heard of some out of florida doing long trips like that, bet it will be a blast

·
463 Posts
I’m on the YC look, Learn, Find trip on the 23rd and needed a few over 500g SP jigs just in case. No one had what I wanted in stock so I picked up a few 20oz (567g) glow hammered diamond jigs.

400’ = no problem, twice that depth easily, if the current is reasonable. To be candid, I’d rather take a break than jig that much weight but if the bite is on and you need a heavy jig… down she goes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which ship is it? I have heard of some out of florida doing long trips like that, bet it will be a blast
It is the Double eagle 3 out of Clearwater FL. This is just for the owners fam and me and another guy since i used to deck on that boat and cook on it back in 1983 thru the 90's. Only about 15 of us going. Will fish some stuff south of the Elbow in 240ft and then head for Keywest and dock and then to the Fort to dock and then fish some of the pulley ridge area. Most fishing will be in 70 to 150ft on some wrecks northwest of the fort.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m on the YC look, Learn, Find trip on the 23rd and needed a few over 500g SP jigs just in case. No one had what I wanted in stock so I picked up a few 20oz (567g) glow hammered diamond jigs.

400’ = no problem, twice that depth easily, if the current is reasonable. To be candid, I’d rather take a break than jig that much weight but if the bite is on and you need a heavy jig… down she goes.
Where do you buy these jigs? I just always used 6 to 8oz diamond jigs for jacks all these years. I don't see how the fish can see so deep so i guess they can feel the jig in the water? I have caught jacks at nite so i guess they just feel the jig moving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts