diamond jigs, poppers, and jigs in general

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by lucas_shane, Feb 22, 2009.

1. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

we are headed out of port a on the lapesca on a 36 hr trip.
    my question is would it hurt to tie a steel leader onto the jigs/lures.
    just kinda thinking that maybe this would keep the toothy critters from cutting me off as much. but i dont want to effect the lures any.
    any help would be apreciated.
    thanks
    luke

2. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

i have steel leader material in hand. already bought its so i was kinda looking for responses toward steel

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

You wont get cut off, but you wont get many bites using steel leader. For Assist hooks its ok though.

d-a

4. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

so you wouldnt suggest tieing the steel on to my jigs and such?
    how does it effect the bite?

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

drop in your cheap jigs without steel leader first. If you get cut off or other ppl hook up to toothy fish, then you can try putting on 6 inches of steel lead to try prevent cut offs. I don't suggest using your expensive jap jigs in that case unless you jig for a bit and no one else is getting cut off or no toothy critters are boarded. If you have diamond jigs, don't bother with steel lead, it's cheap to replace, but what's the point of going out there and risk not getting hits right?

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

so you wouldnt suggest tieing the steel on to my jigs and such?
    how does it effect the bite?

It effects the action of the lure. There's been numerous discussions on here about it. Try the search function if you want more info on it

d-a

7. jig

jig Senior Member

I don't think I have ever hooked a fish when I put a steel leader on the jig. I don't know if the fish see it, or it affects action, or what. But no doubt in my mind it affects it. Have heard good thinks about steel on assist hooks, but never tried that myself. I don't think I have ever brought up a jig that had the assist bitten off. But, when they get very frayed, I change it out.

8. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

the bite slows down drastically with steel leader. i lost 4 jigs i an hour, put on steel leader .. not one bite after that for a while. switched back and lost the fifth jig on the 1st drop. should have moved the boat :)

9. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Tuna have extremely good eye sight. The less terminal tackle the better.They can see swivels. When chunking, you have to hide the hook completely or you won't get bit, at the same time the rest of the boat is experiencing a full out bite. Even for kingfish, a kink in the wire or too thick of wire can lead to no bites, or they are so accurate the will hit the part of the bait with no hook, rip off some line and when you set the hook....nothing.

10. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

Day time use mono leader. At night you can get away with using steel leader.

11. papio

papio Senior Member

I have no issues when using wire at nite, even for YFT & Blackfins. Of course I don't use wire for tuna but when Kmacks and Cuddas start cutting me off i use wire and stay with it and still catch tuna regardless.

Yes, use mono during day time for more strikes. Many times wire is a must in the gulf. I use single strand SS Malin coffe color. When it kinks I replace it - no biggie, wire much cheaper than losing even the cheapest jig. I have pre rig wire ready to go when i need them.

12. etan

etan Senior Member

At the floaters on that trip the barracuda might get you when you are next to the rig. Othewise you won't need it. Try using the plastic coated wire for more flexibility.

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

tuna do get line shy at times. id recommend not using wire. ive hda a few bite offs at the floaters, but not that many.....not enough to make me rethink a leader.

note that by tuna im talking about yellowfin. on these trips im not very concerned about whether or not blackfin will hit something.

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

If you make sure when tying a wire to your jig you leave a small loop on the eye of the jig you should be ok. You will probably lose bits from many fish other than maybe blackfin/cuda/kings. You might nail a wahoo though

you need to find out what your targetting before deciding to put wire on.

15. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

the office said we are targeting tuna. i have only done 24 hr trips in the past and that was mostly bottom fishing. we ran out last year and made a few drift at one rig (unknown by me) jiggin with no luck other than sharks and more sharks. the next morning proved to have more toothy critters of sharks, kings and lots of cudas.

i am wanting tuna so if a steel leader will hurt my chances then ill just have to buy more gear. jigs are cheap Jigs, Rigs and Stuff... so why chance it right.

16. rtran

rtran Senior Member

My experiences:

Fluro during day for chunking
    Mono for jigging day or night
    Mono for night chunking
    Mono for casting day and night

I haven't noticed toothy fish around when tuna are around. Only sharks.

Everyone has difference preference with line, if you are really worried about tuna being leader shy you could use fluor for jigging and chunk day and night. Maybe even drop down a line class to get more bites.

If you have bad problems of getting bit off maybe you should check quality of your lines and knots. 2-3 lost jigs in a row is not uncommon at rigs but in open water if you lose 2-3 jig, tie on wire leader and see what is bitting you off.

17. etan

etan Senior Member

The LaPesca 36 hr trip is a tuna trip to the floaters. Just imitate what the crew is doing and you can't go wrong. Tell them you have never caught a yellowfin and they might give you a handoff. what date are you going out?

18. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Most of the time if bite is slow, crew will fish to try to get hooked up and hand off. They will try to hand off to closest person.

19. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

The LaPesca 36 hr trip is a tuna trip to the floaters. Just imitate what the crew is doing and you can't go wrong. Tell them you have never caught a yellowfin and they might give you a handoff. what date are you going out?

i am going out on feb 28th. do you have suggestions to help improve my chance for YFT or BFT ? or possibly some grouper ?