360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ALL,
I just inherited a few fishing reels and bamboo rods. These are antiques and it’s from a Grand Uncle that got me into this sport of fishing so the sentimental value to me is very high. It will be shipping from Singapore to Toronto Canada by DHL (lowest shipping cost I can find). Anyways, I will be declaring a value to it but not sure what to state the value because a few points is bugging me;
if I declare higher value, it’s flagging for someone to “come steal me”? Or is it the other way around, higher value Courier take it more seriously, make extra attention to the package?

how often does a package lost in the middle of nowhere never to be seen again? I can get insurance on it but I don’t think it will make me “happier” if/when I have to claim

Or maybe I am thinking too much. They just send the package through after the duties, fees and taxes. No one throughout the entire process know/care what’s inside?

Anyone lose DHL package before?

·
5,263 Posts
Uhhhg. Tough one but I’d rather have it insured for a higher value and have it stolen or damaged than having something happen to it and it being underinsured.

Reactions: explorer

·
313 Posts
Hi ALL,

Or maybe I am thinking too much. They just send the package through after the duties, fees and taxes. No one throughout the entire process know/care what's inside?

Anyone lose DHL package before?
Keep it simple don't over think it. Never had a problem with DHL shipping, 4-5 times shipping cycle parts from Germany.

IMHO DHL best int'l shipping company, FedEx is the worst.

·
Retired Member
4,780 Posts
I had numerous packages delivered from overseas with DHL and never had a package lost, stolen or damaged. My packages from overseas tackle shops Just say fishing tackle. Never had one list specific contents.

Benny

·
4,935 Posts
You can insure and old rod or reel for
$100, $1000, $10,000 or more.

Reality is, if you have to file a claim,
the carrier will pay you for REPLACEMENT VALUE.
So, that old beater rod, is worth about $50 when they
look it up based on your description of the rod,
and that is what you will get paid, $50, even if you had it insured for 10k.
Call the carrier and ask if you doubt what I have explained.

If the items have great "value" to you,
spend a few dollars more and use fedex secure delivery,
or a registered mail product from the PO.

·
5,693 Posts
DHL might be great in other countries & never had losses when I did use them.
BUT I have not used them in 20 yrs as they scam custom charges here in Australia.
The scam is they call Customs to do a check on the airfreight containter contents ( not a random customs initiated check...............a DHL request ) . This is charged by Customs at their bulk rate .
Typical actual cost is around AU$2000 for an AVE container. DHL then charges EACH parcel in the AVE at the minimum customs rate of AU$80 each . DHL grosses over AU$8000 for the contents of an average AVE in supposed customs charges.......................not a bad profit margin $6000 on a $2000 investment.
This little scam does not show up on the original shippers costs, they only see their contract freight cost...........it is a direct bill to the receiver.
Its difficult avoiding DHL when the company you are buying stuff from only has a freight contract with DHL............in those cases If I cannot buy the stuff I want elsewhere I ship to another freight forwarder CONUS & export avoiding DHL.

In all other respects DHL is OK....... & I have not heard of this scam being perpetrated in other countries.

·
4,935 Posts
DHL might be great in other countries & never had losses when I did use them.
BUT I have not used them in 20 yrs as they scam custom charges here in Australia.
The scam is they call Customs to do a check on the airfreight containter contents ( not a random customs initiated check...............a DHL request ) . This is charged by Customs at their bulk rate .
Typical actual cost is around AU$2000 for an AVE container. DHL then charges EACH parcel in the AVE at the minimum customs rate of AU$80 each . DHL grosses over AU$8000 for the contents of an average AVE in supposed customs charges.......................not a bad profit margin $6000 on a $2000 investment.
This little scam does not show up on the original shippers costs, they only see their contract freight cost...........it is a direct bill to the receiver.
Its difficult avoiding DHL when the company you are buying stuff from only has a freight contract with DHL............in those cases If I cannot buy the stuff I want elsewhere I ship to another freight forwarder CONUS & export avoiding DHL.

In all other respects DHL is OK....... & I have not heard of this scam being perpetrated in other countries.
$80 seems a bit high for a customs clearance paperwork charge.
In the US, if you package requires or is selected for inspection,
Fedex and other carriers generally charge $25-35 for the paperwork.

While $80aud seems high, a container used for air cargo,
is not that large really, and if there is costs of $2000,
at $80, that would be a potential total of 25 shipments in a container,
and a shipment could be multibox.
The majority of airfreight is flown using a LD3 container.
ld3.jpg

ld32.jpg

·
5,693 Posts
The bulk charge is independant of the number of individual packages in the container.
bulk container clearance mostly consists of reviewing documentation of the individual packages, sources, contents , risk history & possibly opening & examining very few suspect packages.
the basis of the minimum individual charge of $80 is opening & inspecting individual packages.

the opening & inspecting doesn't happen ........just an equivalent cost attributed to the supposed customs inspection of each individual package gets invoiced to the recipient.. AU customs is well aware of the issue , but view the DHL invoicing system as a commercial issue not a Gov't issue.
The other thing I forgot to mention is the item is delivered a week before the DHL invoice arrives.
The sender has no idea of what is going on with the recipient, the sender believes they have a freight contract at a very competitive rate with DHL. The actual transaction cost for the recipient is much higher.

AVE here in OZ & LD3 same container , different name ..... sits adjacent to the airframe body either side of the larger rectangular containers ( can't remember what they are called ).

The very last time I had a shipment from DHL many moons ago I was sent a package of Rebel lures free of charge by the US company after a mixup with the Australian distributor. Package arrived & had been unopened when the DHL invoice arrived a week later . I took the unopended package to my local port AU Customs office for an explanation & they explained the Scam to me. I refused to pay DHL & invited them to take me to court..........ultimately they declined ( I think they sussed out that The AU Customs officer was going to be in court with me ).
I had been scammed in my previous shipment of electronics & had not realised it. That was the end of me having anything to do with DHL.

·
4,935 Posts
The bulk charge is independant of the number of individual packages in the container.
bulk container clearance mostly consists of reviewing documentation of the individual packages, sources, contents , risk history & possibly opening & examining very few suspect packages.
the basis of the minimum individual charge of $80 is opening & inspecting individual packages.

the opening & inspecting doesn't happen ........just an equivalent cost attributed to the supposed customs inspection of each individual package gets invoiced to the recipient.. AU customs is well aware of the issue , but view the DHL invoicing system as a commercial issue not a Gov't issue.
The other thing I forgot to mention is the item is delivered a week before the DHL invoice arrives.
The sender has no idea of what is going on with the recipient, the sender believes they have a freight contract at a very competitive rate with DHL. The actual transaction cost for the recipient is much higher.

AVE here in OZ & LD3 same container , different name ..... sits adjacent to the airframe body either side of the larger rectangular containers ( can't remember what they are called ).

The very last time I had a shipment from DHL many moons ago I was sent a package of Rebel lures free of charge by the US company after a mixup with the Australian distributor. Package arrived & had been unopened when the DHL invoice arrived a week later . I took the unopended package to my local port AU Customs office for an explanation & they explained the Scam to me. I refused to pay DHL & invited them to take me to court..........ultimately they declined ( I think they sussed out that The AU Customs officer was going to be in court with me ).
I had been scammed in my previous shipment of electronics & had not realised it. That was the end of me having anything to do with DHL.
Sounds like DHL found another profit center, lol.
In my experience, this type of overcharging is fairly
common in Oceana.
Personally, I am not a fan of DHL, while they usually
do a decent job, I've had more delayed or lost packages
with DHL, than all the other carriers I've used combined.

The rectangular containers are LD 4 and LD 11.
These are generally not used for assorted parcel transport.
They are designed for bulk product or from a single source,
like if Apple is shipping Iphones to Australia, the LD4/11 will
be filled with Apple products only.
These containers are NOT conducive to unloading for inspection,
so they are generally not used for multi origin parcels.

DHL sorts their packages either in Frankfurt Germany or Shenzhen China,
at these locations they will do country sort first, then for each county,
potentially a city or region sort (volume dependent) into individual LD3 containers,
so that when they arrive in Australia/other countries, the LD3 do not need another
sort for Australia itself, they have been sorted for regional distribution to a facility
for final sort and delivery. Eliminates the need for a main sorting facility in each country and eliminates the human handling of packages an additional 2 times. Saves money for DHL.
air_container_size.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts