Destin, FL - What sort of fishing

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by chf1949, Oct 25, 2009.

1. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

What sort of fishing takes place out of the Destin, FL area? Anybody have any knowledge of what they fish for over there? And what type of trips they run out of that area? Any exciting fish fighting going on?

I've got a possible trip to the area coming up, and was wondering if I should start making any plans to include fishin' as part of the trip. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!... butch

2. Xiphius

Xiphius Member

If the seas allow yellowfin are around the floaters, it's still grouper season, and the sword bite is getting good.

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I used to fish out of Destin, Fl for red snapper and grouper.
    But AJ fishing out of Destin can rival to NC's in terms of sizes.
    My best 105 lbs AJ was caught with Capt Kelly of the Sunrise years ago.

4. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

Thanks guys. Most of the boat photos of the area seem to be trolling.

5. jdl

jdl Member

Depends on what you are in the mood for. During the spring, there is a great cobia migration with some really big fish (over 100lbs) along the coast and most of it is sight fishing with bucktails and bait. On the wrecks, there are amberjack, grouper, snapper, ect. Offshore trolling you can expect dolphin, wahoo, yellowfin, and white and blue marlin depending on the season. The nighttime swordfish bite is also really good as well.

6. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

:) jdl - thanks for the input. your report brightens my outlook considerably. i better get on the phone with a few of the guys down there. :)

7. The Great PF

The Great PF Senior Member

About 4 years ago the family went to Destin, and we booked a charter through Blue Bay Outfitters for some offshore fishing. We caught a bunch of grouper, AJ's, Spanish, and I can't remember what else. The main thing I want to tell you is that the captain that we had, Rob Cochran, was the absolute perfect guide and gentleman. We had a young boy in the group who has a 'weaker' hand, and Rob was right there to help him catch and land his fish--not too much help, just right. For those more experienced fishermen, Rob stood back and gave us some great suggestions, but in the end, he let us do our own thing. About 6 months after our trip, I happened to see that he was the 'guide of the week' on somebody's fishing show. I was glad to see that he was getting some great publicity.

Blue Bay specializes in flyfishing, but they can arrange for offshore adventures, too.

At the end of the day, we took our fillets and went to a place called Goatfeathers, an absolutely great restaurant where they cooked our catch for us. We had arranged this beforehand, and it was wonderful.

We still remember that day very fondly.

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

When are you planning to come down to Destin?

9. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

When are you planning to come down to Destin?

Not sure yet, my schedule hasn't been fixed. It may wind up being a last minute thing. I'm hoping it happens in the next few weeks but it may get pushed back, so am playing it by ear....

10. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I can tell you that Snapper and now Amberjacks are now closed, so you will have to pick on some other species.