DEFCON 1 -111

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by greenguy, Aug 13, 2009.

1. greenguy

greenguy Member

hay guys this is the first rod i ever built
    it is a synit blank with blue camo grips gold winding checks gold and black thread and fuji sic guides and custom fuji reel seat it is a light jig stick around the same wight as the 150grm jm's got a saltiga 20 to go with it

Attached Files:

2. greenguy

greenguy Member

built it by hand using bits of wood and some caster wheels and just stuck a fly tying bobbin to a anther bit of wood
    so glad iv got a binding machine now

Attached Files:

3. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Looks good, I like the camo grips

4. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

Nice work! Is that the Venom or the Grey Ghost? One heck of an awesome blank that's for sure. Good luck!

5. red34

red34 Guest

Hey man, I've built the last 10 or so rods on a cardboard box with "v" notches and a book as a thread tensioning device. Makes you think of those guys with their fancy wrapping machines as sissys! Of course I'm extremely jealous of them and I want one bad!!!

Keep up the good work. Nice matching color scheme.

6. greenguy

greenguy Member

cheers guys
    its a 111 grey ghost blank wicked light rod gonna use it for deep water soft baiting and lucanas and some light jigs may b 80-150 gram
    yea took me at least 15 hours to make it on the caster wheels but taught me a lot but know i got a binding machine gona make life a little easyer

7. Armbreaker Custom Rods

Armbreaker Custom Rods Site Sponsor

Beautiful work!
    Question though~I would say the first guide there is a bit close to the reel though and maybe to "steep" of an angle there fro the line coming off your reel..or maybe it just looks that way?
    And also remember that more guides are NOT always better! The more guides you use on the rod,the more your effecting the blacks action and flex ability.Use only the needed amount of guides for the line to follow the blank curve nicely and clearing the blank under full stress.
    Awesome job though for your first rod!Each one will only get better and I doubt you'll ever stop building! Great talent!
    Arm Breaker Custom Rods - Seminole, FL- Arm Breaker Custom Rods

8. greenguy

greenguy Member

all good yea the first guide is close but this rod is full parabolic it bends from under that first grip ill get a pick of it loading up
    i tryed with a few less guides but found the line touched the blank and there was big flat spots think cause it bend at a 45 angle
    and i moved the first guide closer because the line was very close to the grip
    cant wait to start building more think ill build a 250gram next

9. gman

gman Senior Member

great job on the rod, looks awesome especially the camo grips. I never thought I would like them until I saw a grey/black camo grip and it looked amazing. I have heard the grey ghost blanks are great

10. greenguy

greenguy Member

cheers gman
    yea the black and grey camo grips looked wicked when they have been shaped
    on a lathe

11. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

That's not bad at all for the homemade wrapper! I wish my first rod looked like that!! I stepped up to a Pac Bay Deluxe this year and love it; it makes the work so much easier, especially the underwraps!

Is that a Fuji LowRider as your stripper guide?? If so, could you measure the height of the bottom of the ring off of the blank?? I have been using the LRSG 25 and BHNG 25 as strippers on the blanks that are parabolic to keep the line from hitting the foregrip/hand while fishing. I put them right off the foregrip and it works out well! These rods aren't used a ton for casting, so the slightly reduced casting distance doesn't matter to me. With the fkexy rods, it's a little different in how the guides need to be spaced, either go taller or use more of them I have found. That's why I like the spirals so much, you have most of your guides on the bottom and don't have to worry as much about hitting the blank!

Where did you get the camo grips? I know some places have them in 3" foregrips or the 9" shaped rear grips. Is that what you used or did you find them in larger pieces??

12. b2customrods

b2customrods Guest

Nice rod! Welcome to thew club of rod builders anonymous! Now your addicted. Step away from the rod! :D

I did a drop shot rod with green camo split grips. It is a RS9000 blank in green with gold and green wrapping. Black Frame Gold Ring Zirconia Guides. Came out preety cool I think. Had alot of nice comments on it.

[​IMG]

13. greenguy

greenguy Member

That's not bad at all for the homemade wrapper! I wish my first rod looked like that!! I stepped up to a Pac Bay Deluxe this year and love it; it makes the work so much easier, especially the underwraps!

Is that a Fuji LowRider as your stripper guide?? If so, could you measure the height of the bottom of the ring off of the blank?? I have been using the LRSG 25 and BHNG 25 as strippers on the blanks that are parabolic to keep the line from hitting the foregrip/hand while fishing. I put them right off the foregrip and it works out well! These rods aren't used a ton for casting, so the slightly reduced casting distance doesn't matter to me. With the fkexy rods, it's a little different in how the guides need to be spaced, either go taller or use more of them I have found. That's why I like the spirals so much, you have most of your guides on the bottom and don't have to worry as much about hitting the blank!

Where did you get the camo grips? I know some places have them in 3" foregrips or the 9" shaped rear grips. Is that what you used or did you find them in larger pieces??
    Sorry cant Measure the blank as i sold the rod with a saltiga 20 on it.
    but havening that guide there took the line well away form the blank and the front grip really well
    the camo grips i got of a local road builder i got 3 9" inch grips and chopped and sanded them get the shape and length i wanted.
    Also just got a second hand pac bay wrapper its on like donkey kong now so much easyer and faster but i have still been useing fly bobbins for the thread spools but just holding them in my hand

14. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Ah, ok, thanks! I've been trying to find the stuff in larger OD's, but haven't found it yet :( It looks awesome, but the sizes are too small for most people for heavy saltwater stuff.

15. greenguy

greenguy Member