deer season wrap up...

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Bret, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Well, I had high expectations at the beginning of this hunting season.. With all of the nice deer we had been seeing on the game cams.. I just knew I would connect with one of the monsters.. But as timing had it.. we were closing on some property in Blanco county, around the end of Nov.. so my hunting plans changed. I was not going to get to hunt up at my N.tx place any more this season. I held out all of archery season trying to get a doe and all I saw were small bucks and one old wide 6(that in hindsight I should have shot). Opening weekend was slow and that monday, I pulled the trigger on 3.5yr old 8pt.. I needed some meat and all of the does were underground.. the following weekend, I took an approx 7yr old doe at my place in Blanco.. she was at least 7.. she had her front teeth but only a small part of her 4th molars were all that were left in her head.. funny thing---- she had milk.. So I guess she raised a bunch of fawns.. I dropped them off at Granzin's in New Braunfels and got some really awesome sausage,steaks and ground meat. Had some of that sausage tonight... very tasty..

I hunted a bit in between remodeling sessions on the new place to no avail..
    There is still next weekend for the extended spike and doe season, so I will try to get one more doe for the freezer... I have seen a couple of decent bucks on the game cam, but they have been feeding mostly at night... It looks like there are a couple of bucks, with some potential, that will dodge the bullet this year.. It was still a good year for me, despite that I hunted far less than I would have liked.. I guess its time to get back into fishing mode.. Until spring turkey...... the bottom two pics are in my front yard in blanco county.....

Lets hear some of yall's stories and see some pics.. GS?? MrBill??? did yall kill anything????

Attached Files:

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I hunted less this year than any year in my life. Only one trip. I was a guest and was told to shoot two doe's. That wasn't a problem. I took my time to pick out some older ones. Both were aged at 5 years. This was in Dimmit County. The doe's went 78 and 81 pounds dressed.

It was an uneventful trip as far as stories to be told. Just me and the land owner. He went to bed around 8PM each night.:eek: So, I just stood next to the fire and drank Scotch and watched the stars until midnight. Never saw a pig. I did see a couple of bucks in the 160 B&C range. The land owner is more into keeping a good ratio of buck to does then hunting. He's about 3.2 to 1 right now. His plan was to not take a buck off the 3500 acres this year.

Last I heard, he only took off 6 does including mine. The brush was very thick this year down South. We just drove. No blinds on the property.

3. Earl

Earl Senior Member

I too started the season with lots of hopes - alot of deer had been seen on my cameras in this the first year I've had my place south of you in Young County.

Opening morning my son took his first deer a 4pt fork horn that was 2.5 years old. So that would be the high point right there. The week of Thanksgiving I shot what I thought was a small doe that turned out to be a spike. These were the only 2 deer we saw during shooting hours. Everything else for the most part stayed nocturnal all season. Once in awhile a doe would show up during daylight on the cameras but never when I was hunting, same with a young buck or two.

My season came to an abrupt and early close the first week of December when I went Red Stag hunting with my brother. We both took stags - my brother a 7x6 and me a 6x5. But while attempting to move his I tore my bycep tendon in my right arm (right handed). This required a cast for 2 weeks and a brace for 4. I have 2 more weeks to go with the brace then a couple of months or more of PT. I don't even have a pic to show for it (not of my stag anyways) as my brother botch the camera operating :) I will put up a pic in a few months when I get the mount back.

I didn't even go back out to the place to retrieve camera photos until last weekend when I went and got my cameras. Still everything had been nocturnal and the place has been overridden by hogs, hogs, and more hogs but I can't do anything about it - yet. My big 10 pointer is still around, - at least as of the first week of December anyways that was my last night time photo of him.

Hopefully this spring I'll be able to pick back up on the tuna fishing and also get back out to the lease to give the hogs hell. I also want to do some varmint hunting which I've never done before. The landowner did kill a bobcat on the pace a couple of weeks back.

Earl

Attached Files:

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

HOLY Guacamole!!!! thats one fat hog...... They have just showed up at the place up here.. we finally caught one boar about 150lbs.. We'll probably sell him this week... Earl, from the looks of those pics,, you need to hurry up and heal up so you can get to work on them piggies...

5. awesum

awesum Senior Member

I didn't shoot any more deer here on my place. I saw mostly spikes and forkhorns. My neighbor did have to pull a nice 8-pointer out of his fence though. After getting it out it was laying there and couldn't move so he went inside to get his gun hoping it would be gone when he returned. It wasn't and was obviously too injured to get up so he put it down.

I did get a piggie though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Nice hog and Savage 99. What caliber is it and when was it made?

I did get a piggie though.

[​IMG]

7. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

that is a nice deer bedded down in front of the game cam. two more years and it may be a monster.

Bret, sounds like you all need to remove quite a few does

8. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Great pics!!

Nothin' like looking at pics of the hunt!

9. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Great pics!!

Nothin' like looking at pics of the hunt!

Richard, did you pull the trigger on anything????

10. awesum

awesum Senior Member

Nice hog and Savage 99. What caliber is it and when was it made?

txseadog ....... good eye. It's a Savage .308 . I have three .308s and it's the oldest of the three but without checking I couldn't tell you it's vintage.

B

11. Earl

Earl Senior Member

That's two on this thread taken with Savage 99's then. My boys forkhorn fell to a 99E in .243

I had bought it for him at a gunshow. It's a 70's vintage rifle. It was my son's first deer but I doubt very much it was that 99E's.

Earl

12. STx Fisherman

Bret, I shot a young four point buck....great eating!!

There's an old friend, (he's 87 yrs. old), that goes with me to the ranch all of the time....that shot a very nice ten point buck. I told him that the rules on the deer did not apply to him...he could shoot whatever he wanted..and he did. He's not the one in the following pic....he wasn't with me that particular day.

Here are a couple of pics of the deer's head that we pulled out of the walk-in cooler....and my dogs wanting more scraps...lol.

Attached Files:

13. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Nice deer Richard..

Earl.. I too, took both of my deer with a mod 99 in .243.

14. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

It was an interesting year. Both hunting for game and other things this year. I saw and experienced some wild adventures this year. I don't have time right now to write about them. I'll do it in the very near future when I figure which person will be the victim.

15. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

G.S.
    I heard somthing happened to the idastructable waterproof camera during your season.
    Any truth (story) to that?

K2
    :rolleyes:

16. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Especially the story!

After reading MrBill's description of his camera toughness test, I can't imagine what GS's story will have in it! :eek:

17. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

That Olympus waterproof, crushproof camera of mine is no longer with us. It was my friend. I'd given it a full wide open experience of life. I held it by the lanyard in the toilet the first night I bought it. It survived about six flushing. I was impressed. I then filled up the sink with hot water and let it soak overnight. Still worked next day. I gave it the name of "Fred."

For the next six months, Fred did some traveling. He went to Mexico, (both fishing and boy's town), Costa Rica, Florida, Colorado, Kona, and covered many many miles of the GOM. He went down many highways, sendero's, and spent the night in my glove compartment most of his short life.

I lost him twice. Once on a trip to PV which we ended up in Mazatlan. I left him on the boat as we ran to the airport to avoid a hurricane. Fred flew back to me the next week. Fred was also lost for one week at a hunting lease. I was opening a gate and left him hanging on a fence post while I poured another drink. I always cut off all fence post to 90 degrees near all gates and piss stops. I hate it when you put your drink down and it falls over. Such a waste of good liquor, not to mention the time lost making another libation. Old Fred was still there on the fence post waiting for me the next week. He never moved. He would have been a great bird dog.

I feel guilty as I abused Fred. I threw him the surf numerous times just to prove to people that he was so great. I put him inside the beer cooler at the beach, pissed on him to prove a point, and tossed him on the roof of a friends house to make another statement. The worst abuse was when I placed him in the cavity of a deer that was being gutted. Poor guy was covered in blood and liver juice. I forgot to give him a bath. He was a mess the next time I opened up the glove compartment.

If I'd known he was going to die that day, I wouldn't have spent ten minutes cleaning him off in that dirty South Texas stock tank. I'd seen this nice buck twice this year. I never could get a clean shoot at him. That afternoon, me and Fred parked about a quarter mile from the blind I had seen the big buck. It was about four in the afternoon when I saw him walking to the blind. I had to take an offhand shot as the big buck was walking and hadn't spotted me. The shot felt good. No shakes, no excitement. Somehow, I missed. Me and Fred looked for a blood trail for thirty minutes and found nothing.

I went up to the tower blind and hung Fred on the ladder. I went back to look one more time for evidence of blood. I just couldn't believe I missed the shot I had been dreaming of for months. I drive a lot while hunting, so I figured so how the scope had gotten bumped. I was returning back to the blind when I made the decision to take another shot at something. The only thing around was the blind and mesquite brush. Fred was sticking out like a sore thumb hanging there on the ladder. I figured I'd never hit him with a 75 yard offhand shot.

I killed my good friend Fred. He shattered into a thousand pieces from a .300 wby magnum that day. Back at the hunting camp we were drinking and telling stories. I felt better when one of guys told me "Just think of it this way, you scattered his ashes all around a place he loved." That made me feel better. I still see Fred's ashes when I go back to site of his death. I'm sure I'll see his remnants for years to come. I lost a good friend that day.

18. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Man.... I knew there was a good story coming!!! Poor old Fred.... RIP
    LMAO

19. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

20. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I heard rumors of stories that happened to GS and his counterparts that are a lot better than blowing up Fred this hunting season. I won't say anything, because a rumor is a rumor until you hear it from the horse's mouth.

21. STx Fisherman

Poor Fred....lol

Very good stuff there, Gunsmoke....too damned funny! Keep the stories rolling.

22. STx Fisherman

Attached Files: