DEEP DROP: A few things we do try be more efficient

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Texasblue, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Texasblue

Texasblue Junior member

No rocket science here but thought I'd consolidate a few things we do that help us out. Please share what you do! I offer some of this in the hopes of saving folks who are new to this the time of banging head against the wall for a while like we did :roll

1. STORAGE: Built deep drop weight box at helm to stand on. Its made of Starboard and has SeDeck on top. Weights are out of the way, centered on boat and great storage. Space for accessories as well.

2. TILEFISH ETC. WEIGHT HOLDER: Built a simpleton PVC cup to hold deep drop weight when moving between spots. Works like a charm.

3. EXTRA MONITOR: We add a waterproof cover to an IPad and have the Garmin app "Garmin Helm".We can attach to LP for swords or we use suction cup device when fishing for Tiles, Grouper etc.
    It really helps whoever is on the rod to not have to look back and see data on the helm screens. You can also do commands from the IPad for the system. Its essentially another control panel.This is really nice for us so we can talk through what we are seeing without having to look around. For other obsessives like us, you can stay focused right there on the rod night or day.

4. TRANSDUCER: Long story short, made sure sonar capture wasn't in another zip code. Learned the hard way and then obsessed on transducer position. FYI, this is R599 in center console with limited space. (Couldn't do thru hull). Double checked with 3 different apps while in water for roll and pitch. Used level tool to check how IPad sat.

5. SWORD BAIT: Squid baits are "frankensquids". Credit goes to Boobytrap team for technique. We learned years ago watching one of their videos. That hook does not move at all. Hook is attached via the weight by the small bend in wire. Squid drops (tentacles first) with that sacrificial concrete weight. Once it hits bottom the hook comes off. We then rely on just a 5 pound ball weight where you'd normally put a heavy lead weigh via long line clip. Squid (food grade large) are bought in bulk from Asian Market, we clean, brine and then vacuum seal. obviously other ways to do this, ie light mono break-away but we like this technique. These baits stay perfectly intact for many drops. We have found it terrific for light current conditions (Gulf). Weights are made from approx 13 inch pvc molds (4.5 inch). Heavy wire in mold. Wire is approx. 13 inches as well. We make about 20 in advance from many molds.

6. LEADERS: We make out own sword leaders with 250 lb mono. We use primarily Cortland C-16 (16 carrier construction). Mono is inserted 6 feet up a double wall of the spectra. Wax whipped with 50lb tacky wax at connection and 70lb tacky wax for long line clip.

7. FOR GARMN USERS:We posted another thread with Garmin chirp references, screenshots of tutorial and Garmin QuickDraw link:https://www.360tuna.com/threads/gar...sources-for-sonar-with-chirp-gsd-24-26.54033/

Attached Files:

2. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

The snap off concrete used to be deployed by car batteries back in the 40s/50s, if I recall correctly. Not sure it’s rncironmehtslly safe, however. Venezuelans started using 15# meshed bags of pebbles and rocks. Might be more cost effective to concrete. Less hassle? That’s been going on 20 plus years. I’m pretty sure the Islamorada guys got their deep drop idea from them.

tugasangler likes this.

3. Texasblue

Texasblue Junior member

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. The concrete is extremely cheap and we do many molds at a time. Its really pretty simple and efficient but always looking for a better alternative.

We got the concrete idea from Boobytrap (and the squid sewing for it). Speaking of Islamorada, I know Nick Stanczyk does similar with a huge tub mold except he uses light mono break away)

Here's a better photo of concrete so you can see our loop where the hook from the squid hangs.
    weight_2.jpg

4. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I’ve seen their design on a fishing show. I think they were dropping squid on a Stella 30k, if memory serves me well. Back when I tried a few times for Swords I did one rig with two singles snelled. Thought of adding a breakaway weight to the bottom hook then just having one or two one pound egg sinkers above to slow the ascent after breaking off thinking that might get bit. I’ve heard they’ve been known to follow a bait up on breakaways.

My hangup was imagining that squid dropping tentacles down and possibly fouling the rig. Never ended up trying it but seems it works. Turns out in the GOM in 900 you can hit bottom on a drift with a single one pound egg even with JBHC 130 main. Off Miami/West Palm at 1600, not likely.

One of these days I’ve got to try daytime deep dropping except I’d like to tether a large squid to large jig head with swinging single and swim it to see if it gets bit. I have Kalin 24oz jig heads but I know there are heavier heads available.

I think doing a breakaway with that and a short leader to maximize the thinner braid cutting through the water might work. Set the drag at 25% of ABS at 2500 feet out and no need for a long shock leader. Just need to find a long stratch of road to get it dialed then save the lever position or how many clicks back off tight on a star drag and easy to repeat.

Spoken with many guys who use 22#s of drag preferring to end the fight quick on a solid hook up or lose it quick on a snag. TL 50 ABS at 90. That and 12’ of 200# fluoro for chafe protection against body is how I’d like to try it. Everything we do today started with something never done before and probably sounded odd when first said. :)

tugasangler and Texasblue like this.
  5. Texasblue

Texasblue Junior member

GARRIGA
    QUOTE Everything we do today started with something never done before and probably sounded odd when first said. :) UNQUOTE

Aint it the truth. THAT, is some good stuff.

The squid going tentacles first to us was bizarre to be sure. We practiced and went from 40 minutes per rig to 20. I can tell you that it is amazing how the squid is solid BUT you have to do it right. We have dropped and re-dropped the same squid. Those boys got it down to an art.
    I give my son the credit. He is the squid master. I do the Bonito and other rigging.
    We clean the squid, brine, rig and vacuum seal them (rigged). We do a bunch at a time and have them in freezer with other baits. Its nice to have that bait down there with only a few pounds instead of 10+.:)

GARRIGA likes this.
  6. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Is the brining process to toughen them for the drop?

Checkout the round jig heads with two anchor points. Forget what they are called and used in the north east to make mojo jigs for Stripers. I believe as heavy as two pounds. Can add two single hooks smelled so fish have no leverage and the squid swims better.

On the eye for the main line you could rig a breakaway weight and drop the squid mantle down. Since no other weights above less chance of tangles on the drop and no more tentacles flopping. That’s another idea I’ve been milling in my mind.

Glow paint that ball and probably add a light inside the squid that blinks. Can’t see no self respecting sword pass that up. I know I wouldn’t. Lol

7. Texasblue

Texasblue Junior member

Brine is for toughness AND preservation.

2lb jigheads? I'm booking my flight :D

GARRIGA likes this.
  8. Kim

Kim Senior Member

9. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

67D72954-F7D7-43B1-A63E-33DE1C2BFB7F.png

I’ll try those out. Can’t see jacks and gags passing it up.

This is what I was referring to. Tie a pair of singles snelled to one eyelet with an assist cord. Could still anchor the rebar/concrete slab to the last hook or perhaps around the shank of the that eye. Should sled down quicker with no chance of tangles. Two pounds once on bottom should take a while to come up.

Attached Files:

10. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

invaluable info here, thank you Texasblue!
    saw your thread over in "boobytrap country" & you were well received there too!
    miss those guy's weekly stories........

11. Texasblue

Texasblue Junior member

Us too. Amazing stuff. We learned all the sacrificial dropping from watching and reading them. Legends!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018