Dedicated Jigging Reel Vs. Standard Conventional Reel

Discussion in 'Reels' started by RevPDP, Oct 11, 2017.

1. RevPDP

RevPDP Active Member

I'm putting together a 65#- 350g jigging combo, and being a rank amateur with the technique, I'd like to know the differences between a typical jigging reel and some of the other conventional reels on the market. I have a Trinidad, Tranx and Avet Raptors. Will these work for jigging? Why or why not?

2. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

They will all work but are there better reels dedicated to jigging? Yes.
    What size/model Trinidad do you have? Let's start there.

3. benwah22

benwah22 Active Member

It's the wrong question to ask. Any reel will work. The correct question is "what characteristics should I look for in a jigging reel for a 350g combo using 65lb line, fishing for ______ (species/weight) fish?"

Let's get some more info first.

RevPDP likes this.
  4. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Started Jigging with a Trinidad 20. I could still be Jigging with a Trinidad 20.

The added benefit of jig specific models is a narrower spool to avoid braid bunching up on one side because one is busy jerking and cranking. I can’t thumb the line when I’m Jigging. Others can. Technically it’s not jig specific. Some bait fish with narrow spools to avoid having to thumb line pickup.

Another option is spool lock which isn’t offered on every jig specific reel. Besides using it at times to over compensate for lack luster drags on big unmoveable fish. It’s a great function when you drift over a wreck or similar structure and get snagged.

Boat may not stop and hold position while you find your PE stick to break off. More likely line will continue coming off rapidly depending on speed of drift and only option is to pull off a section quickly and wrap around reel hoping it snaps off at the wreck. Had that happen to me. Mine parted at the reel. No longer have that issue.

Spool lock is also not jig specific. JDM Trinidad equivalents have had that option long before most of us learned about Jigging and wasn’t just offered on narrow spools.

I one last item I think is necessary and also not jig specific is a reel with zero back play. I can jig if needed with a Penn Senator but that would really suck.

5. PE Pete

PE Pete Member

If your objective is to have a reel specifically for jigging then get a dedicated jigging reel IMO.
    A good example is Accurate BX reels you could use a factory standard BX or you could get the DFS version which is modified to be very jig specific.
    I've used both standard BX and DFS version's of the BX slammer reels and IMO it a no brainer the more dedicated designed DFS version's make jigging a much better experience.

6. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Choose a reel that fits in your hand well,
    or is comfortable for the style you hold your rod.
    More important than the label on the reel.

7. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

Just curious. What was it about the DFS that made it a better jigger than the BX?

8. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

50E63A16-8656-48F3-9E1D-9F281C7E3C2F.jpeg Tiagra style knob and extended handle? That’s one of the things I like about my 4000/5000P but really more of a better grip to improve power than adding value to the mechanics of Jigging.

9. benwah22

benwah22 Active Member

Removed clicker and cast control. Longer arm. A few internal modifications not available on BX. Modified lever so you don't have to press down a button to move past strike to full. Customizable colors and handle knob options.

10. PE Pete

PE Pete Member

Yeah what Benwah said.
    I know Kane personally and like to support his efforts to.

11. hafnor

hafnor Senior Member

Kane makes stunning reels!

imo the most important aspects is to have a reel with instant anti reverse and a narrow spool. and ofc it has to palm somehow in your hand.

12. porcha

porcha Broscientist

[​IMG]

The 600 is a bit big for my palm but the 500 is perfect and the 400 is a triple dawg upgrade and feels bulletproof

the mutant gt is a pretty fun combo as well though it does have the spool tensioner still

13. RevPDP

RevPDP Active Member

Have a Trinidad 16
    AND
    Avet MXL Raptor

14. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Trinidad 16 will get the job done. JBHC 40/ABS 70 (or similar) will maximize its drag and plenty of capacity. Until something really big chomps. :)

15. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

The trinidad will get it done, put a good line on it and go have fun, we have landed impressive fish on the same size reels.