DD 80 Hour 10/20 - 10/23

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Trav, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Trav

Trav Junior member

Dispite some rough seas, a cold front, and a boat that goes only slightly faster then a walking pace, this was a great trip. 50 Yellowfin caught on the boat. We left the docks at 6am, and headed to Hoover. We were quite late getting there, and didnt start fishing until 1AM.

Seas were great, and fishing was great. It was hard not to catch a blackfin, and the yellowfin were there. Bite was never wide open, but was very consistent throughout the trip. 20 YF Hit the decks on the first night, I got my first ever Yellowfin on a OTI popper, went 70 LBS. One guy caught 5 the first night.

Live / fresh dead flying fish were the ticket. Bites were rare on both chunks and drifted flyers, but a casted flyer drifted off of the bow was a sure thing. 35 of the 50 Yellows were caught on drifted flyers.

The 2nd night was the same as the first, but the topwater action was better. caught 2 more on poppers, and got tons of bites. couldnt get a hookup on a yummie to save my life dispite plenty of hits. bite shut down at 5AM with increasing winds/waves. at about 6AM, 3 of us were sitting on the side with 2 deckhands when a mako jumped about 15 feet from the rail. Deckhands put out some mako lines with blackfin fillets, and landed the biggest YF of the trip at about 115lbs.

Plan Was to run to flower gardens for the last day, but would only have been able to fish for 1 hour to make it back to docks on time, so headed to some rocks off of port A. caught some small bottom fish, but bite was horrible due to a cold front so got back into docks about 4 hours early.

Overall, it was a great trip, great food, deckhands were fantastic. wrapped all of the fish in a redneck icechest (See below) and headed back to houston. Ended up with 7 YF, 2 smaller and 5 in the 60-70lb range, 30 blackfin, and some various bottomfish. Took us about 24 man hours to fillet, clean, and vacuum seal everything. 200lbs of tuna meat.

I credit alot of our success on this trip to this board. found out what to get and how to use it, and it resulted in fish. only 2 other people used topwater, and we got almost all of the topwater fish on the boat.

[​IMG]
    Sunrise on the Dolphin
    [​IMG]
    EMTfisherman Hooked into his first Yellow
    [​IMG]
    Tuna heart....
    [​IMG]
    Odd fish Caught on a chunk, no idea what it is
    [​IMG]
    Unloading
    [​IMG]
    The Show
    [​IMG]
    Funky Bottom fish
    [​IMG]
    Redneck Ice Chest - Worked Great!
    [​IMG]
    Beginning to Fillet
    [​IMG]
    mmmmmmmmmm
    http://imgur.com/BY3pfl.jpg
    Amazing. We are officially hooked.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

hey is it possible at all for you to resize your pictures? i cant get it on my monitor........sounds like a good trip from what i read though :)

3. Trav

Trav Junior member

Just did. I couldnt see them either.

- Trav

4. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

Nice mixed bag there fellas, well done

That silver thing looks a lot like our hairtail. Savege beasties that come into very few of our deep rivers in the coldest winter nights. The lower jaw on your fish looks a lot longer though and I cant see the fangs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

great report trav! glad you got some topwater action. too bad about some a**holes on the boat.
    that fish looks like a juvenile cuda esp with that lower jaw, but ive never seen them without black patches

saga thats a wicked looking fish!

6. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

looks like a belt or ribbonfish

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i though ribbon fish at first but didnt see that long dorsal fin.

8. Pope

Pope Senior Member

looks like a belt or ribbonfish

It is a cutlassfish. aka. ribbonfish.

Did you rig a stinger on the yummy? It always does the trick for me.

9. Trav

Trav Junior member

I dont think it was a ribbon. looks identical to what saqa posted. had the teeth and the dorsal. very odd shimmery skin, much darker and thicker then most ribbons i have seen.
    Did not rig a stinger, tried the ones with a treble on the end and the large hook midway on the body. I would have been annoyed, but the poppers were working so I couldnt complain.

- Trav

10. Xiphius

Xiphius Member

Nice Haul! we call them snake mackerels

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

You have to love that "Redneck Ice chest". I was out on the 20th and the topwater bite was fantastic. We had nine fishermen on the boat and of the 27 YF's we caught that night, I'd say 20 came on topwater action.

The needle fish were very thick on top. Your popper hooks would snag them and ruin the action of the popper. :mad: I must have snagged twenty that night.

Congratulations on your topwater catches. That's an exciting way to catch those yellowfins.

Attached Files:

• 45.jpg
      45.jpg
      File size:
      74.8 KB
      Views:
    • 46.jpg
      46.jpg
      File size:
      227.2 KB
      Views:
  12. word-doctor

word-doctor Senior Member

Very nice haul. Looks like y'all had a better run than we did on La Pesca the weekend before. Sorry about the mixed bag of passengers--that's tough on 80 hours!

13. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Nice trip, trav!
    Hey Mr. Bill, beware the needlefish, they bite!!!!
    Oh,BTW, thanks for front-ending us @ Perdito,
    I think I broke a popper on the Pelican's hull that night.......:D

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It is lancetfish. We caught big one in Hudson canyon a few years ago.

[​IMG]

15. Pope

Pope Senior Member

16. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

That odd fish is definately a massive ribbonfish! Dang I'd like to show that to a big kingfish and see what he thinks of it!

17. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

18. DANTE25

DANTE25 Senior Member

LOOKS LIKE YOU BOY PUT A HURTING TO THOSE FISH