Daiwa Saltist

Discussion in 'Reels' started by spineyman, Jul 30, 2008.

1. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I am going to purchase a Saltist SST40H for jigging, what is your opinion of this reel?

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I have one and it has worked well for me. It scratches easily, but works!

3. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I've got one as well and think it's a heck of reel for the money but would suggest you get the low gear ratio model instead.

4. papio

papio Senior Member

I agree with seadog, get the lower gear as 4.9:1 is more than enough fast with excellent cranking power and then some. I made the mistake of getting the high speed. Sure it's got some crank power but just not enough to make the cut. Otherwise, good reel.

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I understand the fact that a lower speed reel has more torque, but I think you get more reaction bites with a high speed reel. Especially Amberjacks.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

4.9:1 is plenty for amberjacks.

7. TOO

TOO Senior member

Spiney, I got a customer that has a Saltist 40S, he wants to get a 50. He wants to trade if he can, but I think he'll sell the 40S. Good shape, few scratches, but 100% functionally, has 40#, I think, with 50 or 65 braid backing, if you want to buy a used 40S.
    I'll add this, I think the 4.9 would be better as others had said, but if you decide the HS is your focus, I think he'd sell for a fair price.
    Let me know and I'll pass the word if you want to consider it.
    Email [email protected]

8. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

And, the 4.9:1 is still Fast... As you know, fast jigging will be through rod action and the reel just needs to be able to keep up. With the 40 you won't be going deep into the spool. So you'll be getting close to 36" of line for every turn!

Plus it will help that much more when winching up big fish, or cranking up that big bait/big jig if another fish is on, you're out of the strike zone, etc...

I made this mistake on an ABU reel for striper fishing. It was such a PITA, I only used it once... It's amazing how much more comfortable a reel is with a small ratio change!

Later!
    Jason

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

spiney, i have a 40H - $100 if you want it.

10. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I am still weighing the options for fast or slow.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah - i dont think i'd want the H for AJs primarily. just not enough winching power to pull them away from gulf strucutre. blackfin, kings, mahi, etc are all no problem. you can prob get a good yellow on it as well

12. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Brett: So you really think the Regular will work better and is high enough retrieve speed to intice the reaction bite?

13. jojo69

jojo69 Guest

BretAbaker

100.00 really??? I might bite

14. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Mine is the 4.9:1. I can burn it and draw strikes easily.

15. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Mine is the 4.9:1. I can burn it and draw strikes easily.

How do you like the Saltist? Do you wish you would have bitten the bullet so to speak and bought the Saltiga?

16. papio

papio Senior Member

Spiney, I've got the Saltist too, very good reel. I'm waiting to wear out the drags on it then wiil upgrade carbontex. The problem is I bought the High Speed and not very comfortable, so don't use it, hardly. Poor man's Saltiga for sure. I would get Saltist if ur really on budget and upgrade when ur ready. Good fishing!! as I'm headed out as soon as I hit Post Qiuck Reply.

17. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Spiney,

I agree with all of the above in regard to the 4.9:1 is a better option. I purchased the black Saltist 50ST (6.4:1) then returned it for the 4.9:1 model because the higher speed model needed a bit more torque to reel in the 12 pound Bluefish and Striped Bass I tested it out on.

Finally I returned the 50ST (4.9:1) for the Saltist 30T (4.9:1), I like the narrow reel much better, it fits nicely in my hand while jigging it :)

I would suggest either the Saltist 40 or 30T in 4.9:1 gear ratio upgraded to the Carbontex drags ($20) with a little of Cals grease applied to it.

After spending some time with the Saltist you might want to check out the Saltiga 30T or Saltiga SA40.

In addition to the Saltist 30T I also have the Daiwa Ishidai Z40 which is a tuned up version of the Saltiga SA40. Overall, Daiwa makes an excellent reel, and maybe one of the best star drag reels currently available. In short the Saltist and the Saltiga reels are a great purchase within their respective markets.

You might also want to read the comparison post between the Shimano Trinidad and the Saltiga (hint: Saltiga wins).

Good Luck,
    Ty

18. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Thanks ty2philly: I am getting the saltist 40 with 4.9:1. That is the one I settled on. Thanks for all the help from everyone and I know all about Torium, won't cut the mustard when it comes to jigging.

19. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Ty2philly,
    The daiwas are great reels, no doubt, but before you pronounce the Shimanos a second place jigging product, you might check out the ones designed for jigging. The Trinidad line has been around for a long time and is well thought of, but it wasn't brought out with jigging in mind. The Shimano Ocea Jiggers, specifically the 4000p and 5000p and earlier the Kaikon line, were. The Kaikons had better drags and you could get them with line counters. The 4000p and 5000p Ocea Jiggers are narrow profile, strong, with great drag capacity. They have a 4 to 1 gear ratio and an extra long power handle. They are great jigging reels if you get a chance to check them out.
    Unfortunately Shimano hasn't seen fit to sell them in the US but Anglers Pro Shop can get em. The US 40N Trinidad is close but without the very low gearing and power handle.

Fred

20. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Ty2philly,
    The daiwas are great reels, no doubt, but before you pronounce the Shimanos a second place jigging product, you might check out the ones designed for jigging. The Trinidad line has been around for a long time and is well thought of, but it wasn't brought out with jigging in mind. The Shimano Ocea Jiggers, specifically the 4000p and 5000p and earlier the Kaikon line, were. The Kaikons had better drags and you could get them with line counters. The 4000p and 5000p Ocea Jiggers are narrow profile, strong, with great drag capacity. They have a 4 to 1 gear ratio and an extra long power handle. They are great jigging reels if you get a chance to check them out.
    Unfortunately Shimano hasn't seen fit to sell them in the US but Anglers Pro Shop can get em. The US 40N Trinidad is close but without the very low gearing and power handle.

Fred

Fred,

Yes, I know thats a very good reel. I failed to mention that the comparison I was refering to was more focused towards ease of maintenance and overall simpler design philosophy of the Saltiga vs. the Trinidad. Also the Daiwa seem to be a bit more price competitive against its main Shimano counterpart.

My goal is to own one of each reel anyways. So the Ocea Jigger is one my list behind the Accurate B2-30 (or 665N), and the Studio Ocean Mark Blue Heaven L120B.

Anglers Pro Shop is where I got my Diawa Ishida Z40 last week. They are a good shop, very fast and answered all of my questions. I will purchase from them again in the future.

Regards,
    Ty