360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellows .. I'll buy in the next days Daiwa Saltist Spinning Reel SST6500H with a SA-JG 59XXHFS deep range Saltiga Dpinning rod to be used together for jigging and I'll use the same reel with a SA-PP862HFS Saltiga Ulua popping rod .. can I have your opinion about the 2 rods and the reel ??

·
3,718 Posts
Although I haven't used either the rods.or the saltist reel you mention. I do own many daiwa reels including a couple saltist conventional reels. You can't argue the quality of daiwa products. their reels have been my favorites through many years of grueling(commercial cod jigging) service. If the equipment you describe is appropriately sized for the fish your targeting I'm sure you'll be happy.

Also, on posts like these, it always helps to tell us what you'll likely be fishing for and where.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Amir, i have look into the daiwa saltist spinning reel and honestly at first i thought it was going to be really good buy after a thorough inspection, i just dont think it will handle some of the jigging or popping abuse that we put through if i was you, i would either look into a higher end reel from daiwa or check out the saragosa from shimano. Daiwa makes really good reel but this saltist might not be up for what we do.

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toppuntawong suggest to me Shimano Saragosa instead of the Saltist .. what do you think fellows .. ?? I want also your opinion Enoch .. ?? what I want is one reel .. one rod for jigging .. one rod for popping and my budget is 700$ .. !!! tell me what can I buy .. ??

·
4,723 Posts
Toppuntawong is right on about the Saragosa suggestion. If your budget is limited to one reel for both jigging and popping, get the Saragosa 18000F, you can jig and pop with it. The Saltist is a high speed/gear reel, it will excel in poppers and stickbaits, but will suffer when used as a jigging reel. The Saragosa has a gear ratio more suitable for dual purpose use.

·
2,753 Posts
Toppuntawong suggest to me Shimano Saragosa instead of the Saltist .. what do you think fellows .. ?? I want also your opinion Enoch .. ?? what I want is one reel .. one rod for jigging .. one rod for popping and my budget is 700$ .. !!! tell me what can I buy .. ??

Hello friend.
I believe that you can have confidence with Saragossa over any Daiwa in the same price range. I would feel very comfortable with the 18000F size and can use for jigging as well as popping. There is almost no other option in your price range considering.

two rods:
popping: OTI 7'6" Extreme Popping rod is a good one to start with. I think they are on sale in our Buy/Sell forum right now for deep discount. It's hard to cut corners on a popping rod, but jigging rod it may be easier. There is just not much room for error in a popping rod vs jigging.

Good luck. Setting your budget is respectable. $700 is not a small amount to get into the game.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
The Saragosa had been proven up in the Cape and if it can tango with the tuna then I am sure it can tango with anything else. The only thing you might want to do is throw a new set of Carbontex then you will be all set!

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so I'll go for Saragossa 18000F and the OTI 7'6" and tell me about the Jigging rod .. what do you suggest .. ?? thanks so much Enoch ..

·
2,753 Posts
Enoch .. I'm from Egypt .. I fish in the red sea .. what do you mean by Carbontex set Toppuntawong??

Amir, Egypt is a location I'd like to fish out of someday.

Topper is talking about the drag washers called "carbontex" from the brand: "smooth drags"

you can find them here: SMOoOTH DRAG *** Can Stop Anything ***

They are a carbon fiber material washer that is the smoothest and basically indestructable. You can find the brand "cal's grease" on the same website. They ship from USA and are the official company selling these products.

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Enoch .. you'll be most welcome .. just decide .. fix the date and I'll arrange everything . this is my private email .. email me when you'll decide

[email protected]

now I'll go for the Saragossa 18000F and I'll use it for popping and jigging .. for popping rod I'll go for the OTI 7'6 .. sure I hope to have their tuna sniper )) .. I'll check the budget and may be I'll go for the sniper
now I want to ask you about

- your opinion about which jigging rod I buy .. I want something till 400g?
- your opinion about the Daiwa Ulua popping rod?
- your opinion about the Tuna sniper from OTI popping rod?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts