Daiwa Saltiga Conventional Reel

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by rtran, Jul 12, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I am looking to buy a new reel to pair with a custom 5'6 80LB OTI rod. I was first looking at Accurate 665 but soon as I saw too many problems I think I have changed my mind to find something more reliable. So I looked at Aluctecnos and now Saltiga. I plan to use this reel to mainly do jigging but still want line capacity to chunk and deep drop. I am unsure of how Daiwa does their specs on their reels so I am asking for your help. I like the size of Accurate 665 for jigging and live baiting. Something similiar to this size would be perfect.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

rich i wouldnt say the 665 has 'problems'. the reason i f-ed glenn's up and my dad f-ed mine up is that we were just trying to crank big fish using heavy drags. i just laid the rod on the rail and cranked in the grouper from 350' down in high gear. had i done it in low gear it would've been fine. 6:1 ratio just isn't strong enough to winch a fish in. that being said, I can easily FIGHT a big fish in high gear.....just don't expect the reel to be a winch.

make sense? i still think it's an awesome reel.

people love torsa's as well. from having used a narrow frame reel in NC, i can say it is much more comfortable to high speed jig with, though I wouldn't use it for bait fishing if you had to let out more than 100' of line since capacity will be an issue.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

oh - but kil loves his saltiga and uses it for everything it seems. it seems to be a very good reel as well.

4. tacklejunkie

tacklejunkie Member

Why not a Penn torque? They are a little heavy but definetly have the power
    and the line capacity. I mostly jig with Avets (jx, lx) but for jigging at the rigs
    and baitfishing for aj's I mostly use my torque 300. $299 All day on e-bay. It
    has become one of my favorites.

5. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

the saltiga50 is under 400 with it a custom OTI:D
    i dont think itsa bad choice:D

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

The Torque from what I've heard has it's issues. As you said it's heavy, too heavy for my liking. I've also heard the drag isn't quite as strong as it's advertized to be.

Also look at the Ocea.

7. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

The Torque from what I've heard has it's issues. As you said it's heavy, too heavy for my liking. I've also heard the drag isn't quite as strong as it's advertized to be.

Also look at the Ocea.
    yeah i heard the same..i am not even looking at the torques
    the OJ are nice also,,i love that handle

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I have not had an issue with a 665 two speed. I have three of them. I've taken them on about 6 trips and let others use them. So far, so good. Since you want to also use the reel for bottom fishing, the low gear would be very helpful.

If I was to pick just a jigging reel, it would be the torsa 30. I have three of them and they are smooth as butter. Not a single issue in three years. They are just so easy to crank. They have a lot of power for being a single speed.
    With the right rod, quick short strokes and a single turn of the handle on the down stroke will bring in a huge fish.

Don't forget about the Trinidad. It's a proven workhorse. Very nice reel for the money. The saltiga is also a great reel. I do own a size 50, but it always stays in the closet for some reason or another. When I stare at reels for a trip, I just never take it. No particular reason. Probably because I'm so used to lever drag reels.

I was a torque fan, but they also stay in the closet. Not real smooth, and I've had drag issues. Once again, it's a star drag. Nothing wrong with a star drag, but I like lever's. It just doesn't pump out enough drag for my style of fishing. It's a heavy duty reel. I have not bought and probably will not buy the new lever torque reel. I'll have to try one on the water before I take the plunge.

9. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I have a 665N with that rod and the reel bracket is uncomfortable for me when jigging...

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

only problem with the trinidad is the drag....the max is not very high.

lexpro - dont bother using the bracket.....i used to use them but on jigging reels it really serves no purpose.

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks for the input on other reels guys. Weight/gearing is important issue. That is why I chose to get saltiga. I just need help on deciding which model to get because I don't want to accidently buy one too big or one too small. I plan to load it with 80lb PE. It looks like it will be decided between the 40/50 models on saltiga. Maybe looking at getting ocea jigger also.

12. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Another question, what does the model description mean when it says the action of the reel is ML, M, or MH on the saltiga?

13. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Another question, what does the model description mean when it says the action of the reel is ML, M, or MH?

I think that refers to that action that the reel is intended for.
    ML=Medium Light
    M=Medium
    MH=Medium Heavy

The good thing about this reel is being that it's a star drag you can just slam it into gear once your jig gets picked up.

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks 'feeder'.

The Ocea Jigger lists max drag at 33lb. Any problems with drag system out the box?

What about saltiga?

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

rich for pure jigging i'd get the narrow.........baitfishing id still use the 665.

16. rtran

rtran Senior Member

rich for pure jigging i'd get the narrow.........baitfishing id still use the 665.

I want to be able to use for jigging and live bait at times like I did with 665W but the wide was not necessary to do what I wanted. So reducing the extra line I don't need off reduces size and weight.

17. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

An Eastcoast perspective.

Saltiga is a proven durable reel, probablythe most durable out of most of the choices named. I have a 50 and a 30T that i use for jigging and do not have a single issue with. I have upgraded the reels for 35 bucks and got carbontex drag and new bearings for better casting. I get over 35 lbs of drag out of the 50. Kil has used it to jig a 170 plus yellowfin, and mike jung has recently jigged up a 270lb bluefine on the reel out of the box.

Trinidad. I own the 40, out of the box the drag is 35 and over 40 with a carbontex and cal drag disc upgrade. Awesome reel lot of cranking power. I have jigged many yellows up to 80lbs on this reel without issues. The Trinidad 40 and 50 seem to have less issues with the antireverse going

Torsa- big reel, little cranking power. I have seen guys using this reel and have difficulty reeling in 20lbs of codfish which is abysmal. I would stay away personally

Ocea jigger- I have the 5000P crazy drag out of the box, Ilove the handle and narrowness. It looks very promising and casting is a dream.

Accurate 665- Had it, dont like it too much. Needs constant TLC, and it seems like getting one that is good to go out of the box is a crap shoot. Lot of mixed reviews about this reel, and my personal rule is if its got mixed reviews there are definite problems. I had a problem with my clicker and my drag lever being stiff. Accurate customer service was not the best. Promised my reel in a week, but it took a month to get it back and they would keep me on hold for long periods of times and gave me the run around. Accurate if its kept in tip top shape will work well if you leave it and dont take care of it will not run correctly. The two speed is nice to have and useful, but in my opinion not necesssary.

My choices would be reels that are proven such as the saltiga, trinidad, and the OJ.

18. rtran

rtran Senior Member

peter814 - between the OJ and the Saltiga. What size Saltiga is equivalent to the 5000P?

19. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

An Eastcoast perspective.

Saltiga is a proven durable reel, probablythe most durable out of most of the choices named. I have a 50 and a 30T that i use for jigging and do not have a single issue with. I have upgraded the reels for 35 bucks and got carbontex drag and new bearings for better casting. I get over 35 lbs of drag out of the 50. Kil has used it to jig a 170 plus yellowfin, and mike jung has recently jigged up a 270lb bluefine on the reel out of the box.

Trinidad. I own the 40, out of the box the drag is 35 and over 40 with a carbontex and cal drag disc upgrade. Awesome reel lot of cranking power. I have jigged many yellows up to 80lbs on this reel without issues. The Trinidad 40 and 50 seem to have less issues with the antireverse going

Torsa- big reel, little cranking power. I have seen guys using this reel and have difficulty reeling in 20lbs of codfish which is abysmal. I would stay away personally

Ocea jigger- I have the 5000P crazy drag out of the box, Ilove the handle and narrowness. It looks very promising and casting is a dream.

Accurate 665- Had it, dont like it too much. Needs constant TLC, and it seems like getting one that is good to go out of the box is a crap shoot. Lot of mixed reviews about this reel, and my personal rule is if its got mixed reviews there are definite problems. I had a problem with my clicker and my drag lever being stiff. Accurate customer service was not the best. Promised my reel in a week, but it took a month to get it back and they would keep me on hold for long periods of times and gave me the run around. Accurate if its kept in tip top shape will work well if you leave it and dont take care of it will not run correctly. The two speed is nice to have and useful, but in my opinion not necesssary.

My choices would be reels that are proven such as the saltiga, trinidad, and the OJ.

Peter and I think ver much alike on this issue. I have the OJ 4000P and I haven't seen anything compare to it. I don't like talking it up too much as I like being the only one with one :D !! Forget all the 2speed hype. This reel doesn't need it!!! Its low gear is 4:1 and it doesn't need to go any lower:D ! I have about 400 meters of PE8 on mine. The 5000P ahould hold over 500 meters if you put the line on tight. I would buy a 4000P or 5000P. They hold about as much line as the slatiga 40 and 50 as the reel is taller.

I also have a saltiga 50. It is a great little reel but I have only caught a few blackfin with it. I like this reel for yoyo jigging. I like the OJs for fast crank and jerk fishing. A trinidad 40 is nice as well, but has a smaller handle, quicker gear ratio, and noncarbon drags. The OJ is supposed to have carbon drags. I haven't taken mine apart yet to verify this.

20. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

A good deal can be had from Anglers Systems on a saltiga 50. You can have it delivered for about $382 without line. This is where I bought mine. I think the owner is Jeff and he posts on this board.

Daiwa Saltiga SA50