360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Daiwa Saltiga 40

11K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  okiefishman 
#1 ·
I purchased this reel after reading many reviews and posts from Kilsong. His confidence in this reel for tuna under 150lb is what caught me. I've outfitted my saltiga with carbontex drags and jigging master handle. The handle is much more comfortable than factory. I've topped this reel out at 25lb of drag. No tests on the drag system yet but hopefully soon. As in my other post, the reel is paired with a custom OTI 80lb blank spiral wrapped by JPR. Enjoy the pictures.

See less See more
#10 ·
rtran what do you think about the handle? I have always liked the stock handle but this one looked comfty too so I bought one from kil last time i went to his shop but I havent used it on a fish yet.

Saltigas are great I have the 15, 30T, and 2 of the 50s. Great all around reels.

#11 ·
rtran what do you think about the handle? I have always liked the stock handle but this one looked comfty too so I bought one from kil last time i went to his shop but I havent used it on a fish yet.

Saltigas are great I have the 15, 30T, and 2 of the 50s. Great all around reels.

It feels better in your hand than the stock. The stock one is small to me and hard to hold.

G
#12 ·
id much rather have the JM handle but the stock is bearable for fighting fish since you wont be needing to hold the handle when the fish is peeling line off. I think the handle makes the bigger difference when speed jigging since youre holding it constantly. not sure if that makes sense conceptually.

#17 ·
guys i want to try this new jigging phenom but i only use spinners never liked overheads very much also wanted to know if the saragossa could handle double duty as we also spin troll during the nov-feb months for big wahoo. I have heard about big fish being taken on these reels but have seen the drag and it doesnt look able to handle the staed 44lbs of pressure stated and also will this reel last under high drag pressure

#18 ·
guys i want to try this new jigging phenom but i only use spinners never liked overheads very much also wanted to know if the saragossa could handle double duty as we also spin troll during the nov-feb months for big wahoo. I have heard about big fish being taken on these reels but have seen the drag and it doesnt look able to handle the staed 44lbs of pressure stated and also will this reel last under high drag pressure

Not really the right venue or thread to post this...but if you would like to use a Saragosa reel for jigging and trolling...you can switch out the drags to Carbontex Drag Washers to beef them up a bit ;) ... SMOoOTH DRAG *** Can Stop Anything ***

#19 ·
the 15 is awesome. Ive recently started using it for codfishin on georges. Offshore seabass jigging, and togging. It would also make a good striper/bluefishing jigging or bait reel as well. really versatile

Totally agree except I use a 20. I save the 40 for Tuna. And I also upgrade all the drags as well.

To the OP, looks like a killer setup. I just received my acid wrapped rod from Paul and damn, best $$ I have spent yet.

#21 ·

The saragosa is a tough reel. I used it for casting to YFT.
Review here.
http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f60/shimano-2684/

Totally agree except I use a 20. I save the 40 for Tuna. And I also upgrade all the drags as well.

To the OP, looks like a killer setup. I just received my acid wrapped rod from Paul and damn, best $$ I have spent yet.

Thanks, Paul does some good work and can't wait to bend this rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.