Daiwa Saltiga 40

Discussion in 'Reels' started by rtran, Oct 21, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I purchased this reel after reading many reviews and posts from Kilsong. His confidence in this reel for tuna under 150lb is what caught me. I've outfitted my saltiga with carbontex drags and jigging master handle. The handle is much more comfortable than factory. I've topped this reel out at 25lb of drag. No tests on the drag system yet but hopefully soon. As in my other post, the reel is paired with a custom OTI 80lb blank spiral wrapped by JPR. Enjoy the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Where did you get the handle?

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

its a very good reel...what i caught my bluefin on.

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Where did you get the handle?

Ksong is a jigging master distributor and stocks these handles.

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Have you speed jigged with the rod yet?

d-a

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Have you speed jigged with the rod yet?

d-a

EDIT
    Not yet, will test this week.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Let us know how it works.

d-a

8. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I have a 30t and a 40. I haven't got the handle upgrade yet, but I want to. I did move my handles out the power position and like that much better. I am quickly becoming a fan of all that is daiwa. My bait set up is Daiwa also.

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I left mine as shown. When I moved it to longer position it felt awkward cranking. It's fairly easy with this gear ratio to crank because after this reel was scaled I reeled at 25lb drag while still tied to the scale.

10. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

rtran what do you think about the handle? I have always liked the stock handle but this one looked comfty too so I bought one from kil last time i went to his shop but I havent used it on a fish yet.

Saltigas are great I have the 15, 30T, and 2 of the 50s. Great all around reels.

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

rtran what do you think about the handle? I have always liked the stock handle but this one looked comfty too so I bought one from kil last time i went to his shop but I havent used it on a fish yet.

Saltigas are great I have the 15, 30T, and 2 of the 50s. Great all around reels.

It feels better in your hand than the stock. The stock one is small to me and hard to hold.

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

id much rather have the JM handle but the stock is bearable for fighting fish since you wont be needing to hold the handle when the fish is peeling line off. I think the handle makes the bigger difference when speed jigging since youre holding it constantly. not sure if that makes sense conceptually.

13. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I want a 15 for light jigging. I bet that would be so fun! Chip has one on a Smith Acid-wrapped rod. It's a sweet setup.

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you have enough tackle brian, just walk away :)

15. JerseyBrian

you have enough tackle brian, just walk away :)
    HAHAHA, you can never have "enough" Bret ;)

16. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

the 15 is awesome. Ive recently started using it for codfishin on georges. Offshore seabass jigging, and togging. It would also make a good striper/bluefishing jigging or bait reel as well. really versatile

17. fish on

fish on Member

guys i want to try this new jigging phenom but i only use spinners never liked overheads very much also wanted to know if the saragossa could handle double duty as we also spin troll during the nov-feb months for big wahoo. I have heard about big fish being taken on these reels but have seen the drag and it doesnt look able to handle the staed 44lbs of pressure stated and also will this reel last under high drag pressure

18. JerseyBrian

guys i want to try this new jigging phenom but i only use spinners never liked overheads very much also wanted to know if the saragossa could handle double duty as we also spin troll during the nov-feb months for big wahoo. I have heard about big fish being taken on these reels but have seen the drag and it doesnt look able to handle the staed 44lbs of pressure stated and also will this reel last under high drag pressure

Not really the right venue or thread to post this...but if you would like to use a Saragosa reel for jigging and trolling...you can switch out the drags to Carbontex Drag Washers to beef them up a bit ;) ... SMOoOTH DRAG *** Can Stop Anything ***

19. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

the 15 is awesome. Ive recently started using it for codfishin on georges. Offshore seabass jigging, and togging. It would also make a good striper/bluefishing jigging or bait reel as well. really versatile

Totally agree except I use a 20. I save the 40 for Tuna. And I also upgrade all the drags as well.

To the OP, looks like a killer setup. I just received my acid wrapped rod from Paul and damn, best $$ I have spent yet.

20. fish on

fish on Member