360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did the Carbontex Drag upgrade on that Reel and a Saltist 40. The Saltist did improve and will hold 10 pounds of sustained drag. It couldn't before. The Saltiga 30T couldn't before and still can't even with the Drag upgrade. Not the end of the world but I expected to get at least 10 pounds. This is lifting a 10 pound barbell. I rubbed the grease off the washers too. Is there a break in period or something?

·
717 Posts
I had the same issues with a Luna 300 and saltiga 20. No drag out of the box and not much more after adding the carbontex until I sent my reels to Hawk who was able to get me 18lbs safely out of my 20. Send him your 30T and im sure you will get close to 30lbs

·
969 Posts
You might want to check with Alantani, but I know with the Saltists the limiting factor to using drags over 18lbs is the anti-reverse bearing. Over that and you risk destroying it. I killed mine using drag up to 22lbs on some Bluesharks.

·
5,457 Posts
You need to insure that your drag washers(not the carbon ones) are in proper alignment. They should look like this (()) when your looking down on them

d-a

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks d-a, I'll ck that but I'm pretty sure there right. I followed Alans directions pretty closely. Wow 20 pounds before the upgrade.

·
4,723 Posts
Just for reference, both my saltiga 30t and 40 were at 20 lbs before carbontex and 28 after. I fish them both at approx 23-24 with no issues yet. Although its probably a matter of time. I have the alutecnos for backup.

Are you using those carbontex wet or dry? Just curious as I've got a Saltiga DogFight with Carbontex but I believe I actually lost some drag when I added cal's drag grease to it, only a very thin layer and I wiped up all excess as well.

·
717 Posts
Thanks Guys.

Stresst,
Who is this Hawk you speak of?

Hawk is the "MAN"! No for real he is my reel guy who is the real deal. ANd being I live in NY and send my reels to him in CA should tell you something.LOL He helped me out of several jambs. Very knowledgeable, great service and a pleasure to deal with. He is a moderator on Noreast and senor tuna if you want to contact him or pM me if you want his email.

·
717 Posts
Are you using those carbontex wet or dry? Just curious as I've got a Saltiga DogFight with Carbontex but I believe I actually lost some drag when I added cal's drag grease to it, only a very thin layer and I wiped up all excess as well.

They say you lose a lb or two with cals grease but usually you pick up 25-40% with carbontex you can sacrafice a few lbs plus like stated it makes it much smoother througout the curve and IMO thats where you need it. Forget max drag a smoother stabile curve is way more predicatable

·
4,723 Posts
They say you lose a lb or two with cals grease but usually you pick up 25-40% with carbontex you can sacrafice a few lbs plus like stated it makes it much smoother througout the curve and IMO thats where you need it. Forget max drag a smoother stabile curve is way more predicatable

Absolutely agree on smoother drag as that's the whole purpose of changing the Saltiga to carbontex to avoid jerky drags on those reels in the first place. My DogFight easily produces over 30lbs of usable drag at the moment anyway, more than I need for my purposes so I'm not too concerned with the loss of drag due to the grease. Thanks for the input guys!

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tore it back apart this morning and I had one of the spacers in the drag stack in the wrong place. Now I'm closer to 20 pounds max. Much better.

·
1,086 Posts
I am glad things worked out for you.

About 30 min ago I snapped a Saltiga Z 6000\6500 drag disc in half while
cleaning some.....I emailed Smoothdrag to check for replacements.
They are not listed as a stock item. I hope they can help though as
I have not found a factory supplier via the google searches I've just done...

Kev

·
1,657 Posts
I am glad things worked out for you.

About 30 min ago I snapped a Saltiga Z 6000\6500 drag disc in half while
cleaning some.....I emailed Smoothdrag to check for replacements.
They are not listed as a stock item. I hope they can help though as
I have not found a factory supplier via the google searches I've just done...

Kev

They have them, because I got some for my expedition from them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts