Daiwa saltiga 15h j braid capacity

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by mythosbeer, Aug 9, 2020.

1. mythosbeer

mythosbeer Senior Member

Hey guys,

I got a new saltiga 15h and want to spoil it with 30lb j braid x8. I know Daiwa says 330 yards of it, but anyone have real like data for me? There isn’t a local place to spool it without driving 45 minutes. Wanted to know if the 330 yards is accurate and I will buy a spool myself. If it fits more, I will just take it to get strung up.

thanks!

mitch

2. Kim

Kim Senior Member

You know those numbers are based on using a line winder with the line under tension. Shoot Basil on the forum here and he can probably give you the right answer.

http://www.bhptackle.com/index.php

a1flyfishr likes this.

3. mythosbeer

mythosbeer Senior Member

I will be winding with line tension, just didn’t want to short it if I buy the 330 yard pack, if it would hold more.

4. mythosbeer

mythosbeer Senior Member

Basil doesn’t do much with J braid and hasn’t spoiled the saltiga 15h much either. He sure is great with customer service!

I am sure someone has spooled this thing up with 30lb. Anyone have any info for it?

5. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

I’ve seen it usually spooled with pe1.5-pe2 and they usually get 400plus Yards on it . Pe3 it’s kind of “big line” for that reel for slow jigging that is. Micro jigging it would be fine but even then in probably want the lighter light for the lighter jigs . I’d get a 500yd spool of the lighter line and be happy with where the dust settles yardage wise .

explorer likes this.
  6. mandaragat

mandaragat Member

7. mythosbeer

mythosbeer Senior Member

I think that is a typo. I can’t see getting that much line on it. Also, the box says 300m of pe3 line, which seems more reasonable. The contradicting information was the reason for my question. I will update once I get some real world numbers.

tugasangler likes this.
  8. mandaragat

mandaragat Member

I think you’re right. Japanese website shows a different number. 4751D892-F4D5-4A3D-AB94-0E8711B3E16B.png

9. mythosbeer

mythosbeer Senior Member

Yeah, the reel says 300m of pe3 also. Weird Daiwa would have bad info like that on the website.

tugasangler likes this.
  10. mythosbeer

mythosbeer Senior Member

I spooled it up with 30lb j braid. I got the whole spool of 330 yards of it with 20ft of 50lb fluoro leader. There is enough room for more braid or leader if desired. See image for spool. Hope this can help someone else down the road.

mitch

3F167868-0125-4951-9866-8F5B545D4FBA.jpeg

explorer likes this.
  11. explorer

explorer Member

Found the answer and post back. LIKE LIKE LIKE:) someone else will have less guess work down the road for sure ;)

tugasangler and mythosbeer like this.
  12. Kim

Kim Senior Member

You might have squeezed another 30 yards or so of braid on but on the plus side it leaves you some room for bunching up a little while bringing in a fish. Sometimes it just hard to thumb the line evenly while on a big fish.