360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Daiwa Pluton Initial Review

18K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  baldurs390 
#1 ·
I just picked up the new Daiwa Pluton. Upon initial inspection it seems very well built even more so than the Luna. Size wise its about 2-3mm wider than a calcutta 250 and about the same height. I dont have a scale but they seem to weigh the same. I spooled some line on to play with the drag and noticed its an improved design over the Luna and Saltiga. Both my Luna and Saltiga's when they were new either the drag was loose or maxxed out. Not so with the Pluton. Comes on smooth and boy let me tell you it keeps on comming! I dont have a actual drag output number but its way more than my saltiga 20. Not bad for a small baitcaster. IMO this thing blows away the TE calcutta's with its super smoothness.

I will have more info once im able to use this baby!

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
I was going to get a low-profile Revo Toro 50/Curado 300, or non-levelwind Saltiga 15/20. Then I held the Pluton... Big mistake. I had to bring it home with me! Time will tell, but it seems to be a great compromise between the strengths of the other reels considered.

Compared to Saltiga 30T:

Notice how high the reel foot is in the frame. Machining is awesome!:

Looow Rider!:

This should be a fun all-around inshore and light jigging reel for <150'. Now I just need some good PE3 line, and a super light 150g-200g (max) jigging blank/rod... any ideas? :)

Jason

#10 ·
I was going to get a low-profile Revo Toro 50/Curado 300, or non-levelwind Saltiga 15/20. Then I held the Pluton... Big mistake. I had to bring it home with me! Time will tell, but it seems to be a great compromise between the strengths of the other reels considered.

Jason

Seems we have the same tastes. I have the new curado 300E and also the saltiga 20. But this reel is in a league of its own. I cannot wait to use it. My only issue is the capacity. I was only able to fit 200yds of Daiwa surf braid. I used a ton of pressure. Maybe could have fit 25yds more. Daiwa says it holds 300yds.

#16 ·
That reel looks sweet. A gloomis bucara would be a great rod for that reel, but could be a little to bulky. I used the bucara for halibut in Alaska and it performed great. The reel might look a little to small for the rod, but it's worth a look. Also read new OTI rods will be coming out. Those might be a great fit.

#17 ·
They claim 300 yds of ??? test? What is the drag capability.
Is it a lever drag? How much are they selling for and where?

#19 ·

I have it on a custom Calstar GX8 trimmed down a bit. I have 300yds of 30lb braid. I didn't put a scale on it but its more than my calcutta TE400

#20 ·

Right out of the Daiwa website, here are the specs:

TD PLUTON 200H
Gear ratio: 5.1.1
Weight: 12.50oz
Line Capacity Braid: 20/400 yds 30/300 yds
Max Drag: 13.2 lbs

The TD PLUTON 200SH has the same specs above except the gear ratio is 6.2:1, a bit heavier at 12.70 oz and the drag is 11 lbs

This is from the Daiwa USA website, I don't think they use kilograms for drag, I assumed it was in pounds. So compared to Saltiga, the Saltiga is still the better reel in terms of drag. Saltiga is rated for 22lbs max drag. I was surprised how Daiwa described this reel, it doesn't match the reel's technical specs. I think the Pluton is just best for inshore fishing. I don't think it's capable of standing up to the pull of bigger fish, unless you're fishing private and there's no need to reel in the fish fast. In which case you're going to play tug-o-war with that lunker longer, way longer.
Daiwa | Team Daiwa Pluton

#24 ·
I was able to fit a full spool of Daiwa surf braid 200yds of 30lb. I maybe could fit 25 yds more but it would be tight IMO.

I tried the samuri on another reel but didn;t like it. All my knots kept slipping.

I've been using a 5-turn uni knot for lucanus jigging using the samurai 40, never have any slip issues at all.

#26 ·
Yeah I saw that... Pretty cool! (and exactly what I need instead :( )

Drag on Pluton should be fine for me though with PE2-3. But I will probably order the power handle from them.

I actually asked for power handle options the day before they posted on their site. They sent this picture for comparison, but the bay jigger shows it really well too.

Anybody know of any other options?

Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.