Daiwa Boat Braid

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by SpecialK, Jul 2, 2009.

1. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I want to order a bulk spool of Daiwa boat braid to fill some spools.

My question is, Does this line break very close to its advertised rating. It will be multi use, casting and jigging.

I am trying to decide between the pe6 80lb. and the pe8 100lb.

If the actual breaking strength of the pe6 is higher than advertised I think I would go with the pe6 for casting purposes.

The popping rods are all rated 60-80 lb.
    And the jiggin rods very from 60-80 and 80-100....

2. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I have the 55 lb. It breaks at 57 lbs.

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

So pretty close to advertised.
    Hmm...
    Anyone constantly using the pe8 to cast with? I am using 80lb jb now on some reels but thought I might double them jigging and wanted to be prepared...

4. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

So pretty close to advertised.
    Hmm...
    Anyone constantly using the pe8 to cast with? I am using 80lb jb now on some reels but thought I might double them jigging and wanted to be prepared...

I loaded my popping and jigging setups with 60# JB hollow. It appears to me to be about PE8 line. I say that based on the amount that fits on a Stella 20K (400 yards) and on its strength (the line I bought breaks above 105 lbs.).

5. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

I just spooled a reel with JB 65lb and a reel with 80lb daiwa boat braid. The 80 boat braid seems to be thinner than the 65lb JB. The boat braid is a subtle line too. I dont see why you wouldn't be able to cast with it.

6. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

I have DB in 55# on my one of my surf casters and I'm taking it off. Every cast I made with it a big ball of line flies off the reel. I re-spun with a little more tension and the same thing happened. I lost 2 really nice hm plugs because of this. I have since loaded up with suffix braid and it casts like a dream. If you're looking for a count down braid I'd probably try out the OTI brand.

7. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I thought I was the only one who did not like Daiwa boat braid. It is very thin and subtle, but I think the PE 8 breaks way too easily for what I expected. It seems particularly weak, for some reason, at the yellow markers. I would use the PE 8 as a PE 6 line, not a 100 pound line, but that is me.

8. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

I have found that it does fray very easily as well. Not trying to smash the product just giving some honest feedback from personal experience. On a good note it is extremely smooth through the guides and holds color very well.