Daiwa BG90

Discussion in 'Reels' started by splitshot-bk, May 25, 2008.

1. splitshot-bk

splitshot-bk Junior member

Trying not to break the bank.......Could I use this for jigging? Mahi, AJ's, Wahoo, 20-40#YFT? I know it's not the best but do you think the drag is strong enough?

If so what braid line wt? and what rod would you recommend with a budget of about $100-150.

Thanks!

2. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

The Black Gold series are work horse reels (have bg30 myself) but are really better with mono than braid due to the drag construction and line lay pattern. If you also have the reel you can certainly give it a try but if you are buying a new reel I think there are better choices. The Quantum Cabo PT80 has gotten good reviews and are in the $100 - $150 range on Ebay.

For rods in that price range check out the Daiwa Saltiga SA-511HFS or the 58xxh Trevala .

3. splitshot-bk

Yeah, I already have the reel. I got it from a friend who was moving out of town. I just need to get a rod for it and not sure if I should by a true jiggin rod for it since it's not a favorite for jiggin it seems.....

I'm trying to figure out if I could use the reel for a jigging rod and also a pitch rod for chucking eels and live croaker to cobia.........also bailing mahi while offshore. Not sure if I should just get a heavy boat-style rod or a jigging rod for it?

4. jser

jser Junior member

i don't see why not to use the reel. it's a tank, and has very few parts and is easy to self service, and is super durable. full metal housing. you probably can measure out the drag disks and get them upgraded if you wanted... take plate on the bail off take the screw out and 2 plates and put the plate back on. the reel will never snap shut on casting. also take an O-ring and put it under the drag knob= instant waterproofed drag now.

i hear some people "breaking" these bg reels and have to laugh alittle... what exactly are you breaking on a full metal construction reel? not sure, are the drags running thin?.. hmm, upgrade them? it doesn't have 15bb that must be why and isn't as smooth obviously as say 3bb, but it's no delicate flower either and has less to go wrong. you could pull some hefty drag numbers if you put in some carbontex (when the other drag wears out). i don't see this reel "breaking". i still would love to know what you people are "breaking" with this reel.

very interested in knowing...

i don't use mono and the line lay does sort of concave a little with braid/superlines, but this doesn't impede casting one bit

5. splitshot-bk

Any rod suggestions for the BG90?

6. splitshot-bk

Any rod suggestions for the BG90?

Sorry, I see the suggestions in TX's first reply. THanks!

7. Josh

Josh Guest

the bg 60 would be good unless your looking for line capacity because the drag is the same size on both. the bg60 with 300 yards of braid and a set of smoothies from smooth drag makes a good real better produces 22lbs of drag easy

8. alisaeed

alisaeed Junior member

Guys,

I am wondering what is the maximum drag pressure available in bg 90s and accordingly what is the suggested PE line in lbs? and Spin jigging Rod. i want to use this reel and calibrated tackle for high speed vertical jigging.

Cheers
    Ali Saeed
    Official Website of The Pakistan Game Fish Association | PGFA

9. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

10. alisaeed

alisaeed Junior member

Thanks for a quick reply lordhell!

11. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

Work horse of a reel! I've used them for years. Everything from the BG 10-90 for everything from baby poons to sailfish and deep jigging for grouper. Never used braid on them. Very tough, durable reels.