Daiwa BG spinners longevity?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by lawrencelee91, Nov 7, 2017.

1. lawrencelee91

lawrencelee91 Junior member

Hello,
    Just recently bought a Daiwa BG5000 for some popping offshore out of Texas. The reel seemed to have almost no handle slop and the drag was pretty smooth even buttoned down.
    I initially bought one just to see if it would hold up offshore, plus if the reel failed I would only be out a little over $100 bucks.
    Anyone have experience with these reels a couple seasons down the line?
    -Thanks

2. Jaro

Jaro New Member

Its only a year on the market.

3. NO MOJO

NO MOJO Senior Member

I still have two of the old style BG's and no matter how much I abuse and neglect them I just can't seem to kill them.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  4. tugasangler

tugasangler Active Member

The consensus from what I’ve both seen and heard is that they are tanks and the next generation of the BG series . I’ve seen even them fished for trout and dunked and even reeled under water and still work the same after . Seen them tackle some pretty decent sized grouper and king mackerel in DTs and in pulley ridge as well.

I’m currently deciding on weather to put the 6500 or the 5000 for my first jigging spinning rod .

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Olddrum_72 likes this.
  5. lawrencelee91

I thought the new model was out longer than a year. I only get time to make 3 or 4 trips offshore a year so I'd hate to have another reel fail on me.

6. lawrencelee91

My BG 5000 took over 350 yards of 50 lb solid Tasline, I do most of my jigging on a Saragosa 10k but jigging all day with my Saragosa 18k was a bit much.

tugasangler likes this.
  7. PRknot

PRknot New Member

Great reels , please don't dunk it . It's not a surf fully sealed reel.
    Or a Daiwa Saltiga.

8. Olddrum_72

Olddrum_72 Member

love my Dawia BG'S. Great for the Price and very smooth. I own 2 of them but plan on getting many more of them.

tugasangler likes this.
  9. Olddrum_72

Olddrum_72 Member

My Dad has a 8000 on jigging rod and loves it. He can whip anything even sharks quickly with this outfit. It is pretty heavy but he is bigger and has more muscle mass then i will ever have Lol 5 foot 10 225 lbs. I'm plagued with my Mom's genetics not the best for building muscle. ;)

tugasangler likes this.
  10. lawrencelee91

TackleDirect is having a sale on BG6500 and 8000 models right now through the 16th, ony $90. I think you have to register to be a member though. I had to go ahead and buy a 6500, not sure what I'll use it for yet

11. andy409

andy409 New Member

That's a sweet deal, I was thinking about purchasing a pair. I don't see the sale on the website even though I signed up as a member. Do you have a link?

12. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

sounds like the plugs for the fin-nor ofs .. lol

13. lawrencelee91

It shows up for me.
    https://m.tackledirect.com/members-only-sale.html

Attached Files: