Cut off rod?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by SpecialK, Oct 8, 2008.

1. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have a rod that the tip was broken off of. I was thinking about making a shorter jiggin rod out of it. It is a 7' 30-60lb rod now. What generally would happen if I cut it off to around 6' and put a new tip on it. Would it be to stiff or ridgid and accept less drag or would it accept more drag?
    Just looking for some brain storming ideas..

Also what would you use to cut it off?

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

dremmel tool. the action would definitely change but still could be useable. just have to see.

3. Jesse Lockowitz

Jesse Lockowitz Member

a dremmel will work, also an extremely fine tooth hack/band saw would be good...also make sure u have an extra hand to hold it so you do not splinter the backside of it...

Jesse

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

You want to use something high speed to cut the blank. A hack saw will do the job, but it leave jagged fibers that could weaken the blank.

d-a

5. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

which one was it?
    ~go ahead and whack the tip and replace it, but make sure its done correctly so it doesnt come off or twist on a big fish. :) i think you need the correct epoxy and thread wraps to secure it.

it will remove the faster portion of the tip of the rod... sounds like a good jiggin rod will be born :)

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Thanks for the advise guys! I'll cut it with the dremel wheel...

Ronnie,
    Its the Tuna stick I bought from charlie. Broke off on an amber jack last trip out. I high sticked a little trying to get him in to fast. We got the fish in but the rod broke.
    I decided it might make a good jigging rod if I cut it off a little more. Homemade is the best anyway...

7. turfman

turfman Member

Thanks for the advise guys! I'll cut it with the dremel wheel...

Ronnie,
    Its the Tuna stick I bought from charlie. Broke off on an amber jack last trip out. I high sticked a little trying to get him in to fast. We got the fish in but the rod broke.
    I decided it might make a good jigging rod if I cut it off a little more. Homemade is the best anyway...

tape it first so it doesn't splinter !

8. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I suggest wrapping the area to be cut with masking tape then cut through the tape and the blank. Either high spead Dremil or slow with hack saw. Fine tooth in any case. Compresion cutting won't do i.e. side cutters.

High sticking, pickup tail gates, garage doors and young childern have
    all adjusted the length and action of more $$ worth of rods than I care to think about.

Cut it, fit a new tip then judge what service the rod is best suited for.
    If you want to consider the glass half full then consider it a custom...

Kev

Turfman had the same message, Faster with the keyboard...:)

9. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I have a rod that the tip was broken off of. I was thinking about making a shorter jiggin rod out of it. It is a 7' 30-60lb rod now. What generally would happen if I cut it off to around 6' and put a new tip on it. Would it be to stiff or ridgid and accept less drag or would it accept more drag?
    Just looking for some brain storming ideas..

Also what would you use to cut it off?

Cutting in this manner will make the action slower but much stiffer so it will make a dramatically change and I don't think it will be suitable for jigging. Why not just put another tip on it?

10. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I was looking at one of the longer trevalas over the weekend and the first thing I would have done with that rod would be to cut 6" off the tip of it.