Cuba trip

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Axi, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Axi

Axi Junior member

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone had any experience fishing in Cuba as I'm going for a trip around the Island (not just the Cayos). The trip it's not a proper fishing trip as I'm going with girlfriend :eek: but I will bring my rod, reel and poppers in my bag :D

Any help appreciate! Thanks!

2. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I didn't think Americans could fish in Cuban waters....
    Welcome to the forum, Axi!

3. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I talked to a few boats that fished in cuba all said it was excellent especially on the north side

4. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Axi,

I have not fished Cuba, but in the 80's I was able to Dive at the mouth of Guantanamo Bay. It was a great dive with a huge variety of large sea life. Groupers, Snappers, Sharks, Cuda, etc. I now wish i had been more into fishing then and less into diving....

5. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Don't know about Cuba, but Dry Tortugas is about half-way between Key West and Cuba, is some of the best fishing anywhere. The conditions in that area are Deep and lots of current. I think the Gulf Stream cuts through there.

6. Axi

Axi Junior member

Thanks guys! I can see Cuba it's not one the classic fishing spot because well we all know.. But what move me to bring my gear is the location and the possibility of unexplored areas.

Cheers
    Axi

7. cubanfishermar

cubanfishermar Senior Member

Thanks guys! I can see Cuba it's not one the classic fishing spot because well we all know.. But what move me to bring my gear is the location and the possibility of unexplored areas.

one of the best spot in carribean dont foget ernest heminway tournament you can catch almost anything I will give my advice axi find out firts about fishing in cuba that [email protected]##$$% has to many regulations

8. cubanfishermar

cubanfishermar Senior Member

I didn't think Americans could fish in Cuban waters....
    Welcome to the forum, Axi!
    american can travel to cuba all you need is ask for a permit to treasury depart they will give to you but you regulations like you cant spend more 5000$ dollar you cant on credit card no more than 10 days in the island but yes american can go I forgot dont bring any tobaco

9. Axi

Axi Junior member

Hey cubanfishermar if you have any more recommendation please send me a private message. I can speak Spanish/English

Cheers
    Axi