Crimps LOOK good, but...

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by hamptonsurf, Aug 23, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

...are they solid? I have been crimping joins for a while, but just read an article in this months magazine about crimping skills. This prompted me to check online for other info, and all seem to say that crimping is very difficult and most people's crimps don;t even come close to full strength. I guess the only way to test these is to stat hanging weights in the back yard. Does anyone have suggestions for perfecting the crimps, when you are not using a basic hand crimper (no fine adjustment knob). I think the crimps I make look nice, even and clean, but one thing I notice is that the ends of the crimp don;t seem to flare. maybe I'm not crimping close enough to the end or not hard enough, I don't know. I'm using heavy aluminum crimps.

2. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Many of the crimpers on the market allow the user to control the pressure. One guy may use more or less than another. Take a look at the Braid brand crimpers. They are pre-calibrated and snap shut when the proper amount of pressure is applied. They take the guess work out of it.

For larger crimps, 150lb test +++, I use the large crimpers, that also snap shut when finished.

Also, I learned a trick from Basil, hit the tag end with a match or lighter and mushroom it. Then pull it to the crimp. This will often prevent a crimp from slipping.

Braid Pre-Calibrated Crimper from Melton International Tackle

3. hamptonsurf

My crimper doesn't have that adjustment knob, but I wish it did. Maybe time to upgrade to one that does. I have been torching the end, which I like. Seems to be an extra bit of security and the end of the tag end won't chafe the main line.

4. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

I think the crimps I make look nice, even and clean, but one thing I notice is that the ends of the crimp don;t seem to flare. maybe I'm not crimping close enough to the end or not hard enough, I don't know. I'm using heavy aluminum crimps.

hard to say w/o seeing your crimps but with heavy aluminum crimps you should be getting a highly noticable flare.....

my first thought would be you're not crimping'em hard enough but how close you are to the end of the crimp is very critical too.....

not knowing what size crimps you're talking about precludes me from even suggesting the proper distance so all i could say is play with a few 'til you see what you'd have confidence in...... i love crimping all my own own rigs and have very very few pre-made connections in any of my tackle because if there's any connection in any of my gear, i want to be the one that put it there so i'll be confident in it

it's mostly a matter of feel IMO and i've been hand crimping for years and don't believe i could ever go to a bench crimper because i'd loose that feel.........but maybe someday if the hands just get too old to do the job

have you read this article too?.... Sport Fishing - Can You Trust Your Crimps?

i read it when it first came out but it didn't tell me anything that i didn't already know but maybe there'll be some info in there you might find useful

the only way i could ever help someone with their crimping is to have'em watch over my shoulder and describe what i'm doing and why........ i ain't no writer and would be afraid anything i might write would put someone on the wrong path

what's in my head doesn't translate well into print........ schtoopid uneducated typing fingers i guess :eek:

5. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

funny....... just opened the oct issue of sport fishing and there's pics of proper and improper crimping on page 28

ain't read it yet but maybe there's some worthwhile info

6. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

My experience is with aluminum crimps on mono. size them carefully to match leader material, bulb the end, and definitely get a crimp tool with callibration adjustment.
    they will last forever. properly crimped with flared ends theywill not fail you.

7. hamptonsurf

Im going to try to take a few pics and upload them as no matter how hard I crimp the aluminum sleeves on the mono, and no matter how close I am to the end, it doesn;t really seem to flare. I need to get access to about 174 lbs of weight to hand it on them, but they seem strong.

8. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Im going to try to take a few pics and upload them as no matter how hard I crimp the aluminum sleeves on the mono, and no matter how close I am to the end, it doesn;t really seem to flare. I need to get access to about 174 lbs of weight to hand it on them, but they seem strong.
    Any time I rig any trolling lures, I have a 200# scale that I hang on a rope loop tied in my tree. I will then hook the thimble end to a lat pull bar and proceed to hang from it. I weight 160# wet but, if I can bounce on them a little bit I feel confident.

Trolling is the only thing I used crimps for until recently.

BTW if you do this, make a safety cord that ties to the hook end in case the line snaps. It took a few times of high speed shots at me to realize this was needed.:eek:

9. hamptonsurf

10. hamptonsurf

so you test the lines you rig, even after crimping the hooks on?

11. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

what is this crap
    SPAM!

Any yes. On premade/setup rigs that will run heavy drag, I will test them once everything is complete so that I don have a failure due to not testing something.
    I started doing this when I lost a Blue and my favorite lure in cabo due to a crimp slipping...

12. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member