Crappie Condos

Discussion in 'Freshwater fishing reports' started by Pope, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Pope

Pope Senior Member

A contractor finished building some condos near me and I decided the work had not been finished. They piled PVC, T posts and other scraps at the end of the street to be picked up for disposal. I picked off some choice pieces to build my own condos.

I made these last night. Sorry for the bad shots. I am not moving these off the porch until I load them in the boat. I have enough scraps for one more. I just need to get another bucket.

The one with the three t posts is a little top heavy. I braced it with some lattice from my shed and filled the bucket with concrete. The other buckets are 2/3 full of concrete.

It sure would be nice to take this concept to snapper. Bring a lot of supplies offshore and go to work in the state water zone. Shrimpers would eventually drag them away and screw up their nets. Not very practical, but one can dream.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rainbowrunner

Rainbowrunner Fishing Guru

Nice Pope. There's a trailer place here in Pasadena that used to build and sell them. How do you get them to sit upright on the bottom? Or does it even matter! Somebody's going to drag an anchor through them. I'm still using Christmas trees and Youpan trees for my brushpiles.

Dale

3. Pope

Pope Senior Member

They will eventually get knocked over, but since there are pieces of pvc or post sticking out they will not fall flat. When I sink them I tie a line to the center post, lower them into the water and set them down evenly. They will also sink into the mud once settled. The two with fewer t posts are not top heavy and should sit up as long as someone doesn't drag an anchor through them. The last one which is a bit top heavy has a bucket filled to the top with concrete. I also braced it with zip ties against the lattice. The lattice will give structure and a base. It will not be pushed over easily.

The main point to using these materials is I will never hang jigs in them and can roll a spinner bait through them. They also only cost what I paid in concrete.

4. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

something you might try, to help keep it upright is to tie a 2 liter bottle to the top of one of the post. This is what we do when we sink our brush piles to help stand them up.

It wont do you any good once it lays over completly but, it should help keep it from wanting to tip over.