cracked epoxy

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by kidflex, Jul 9, 2008.

1. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

hey guys, i need some help. i have a smith spinning rod and i recently cracked the epoxy/flex coat at the first guide. must have done it while twisting on and off the top of the rod to the butt section. the crack is deep and when i manipulate the guide there is slight movement. what is the best way to fix this problem. and if i need to have it stripped and recoated who would you recommend to fix it. thanks brian.

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

if you are getting movement i would suggest a rewrap of the guide
    i can do it
    not sure that i am the closest to you

3. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Get it re-wrapped

4. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Guides cracking is normal, especially with the larger guides. The guide moving is something else - how hard are you trying to move the guide that it is moving? What kind of guide is moving, a single or double footer?

The truth is you can fish with guides held on by thread and no epoxy, heck I've fished rods with guides held on by surgical tubing (Calstar 700XL).

5. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Just bring some duck tape with you next time you go fishing

6. workin

workin Member

Just bring some duck tape with you next time you go fishing

I prefer a wrap of dental floss, then duct tape.

7. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Brian, I would have the guid rewrapped if it is loose. You don't want it to fail when the big one hits.

8. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I prefer a wrap of dental floss, then duct tape.
    Is that what you did?
    How did the big E trip go for ya.

9. workin

workin Member

Is that what you did?
    How did the big E trip go for ya.

Sure. I have used zip-ties, superglue (did superglue on our Tommeny trip), mono... Dental floss is a luxury I usually only have with me on overnight trips. Whateve it takes to keep me fishing.......although I hate to ruin the aesthetics of these fine Wal-Mart rods I use:rolleyes:

As for the Big E trip, it was great. I didn't bag big-boy myself, but I learned a bunch of stuff, caught a few fish and had a great time meeting all these nut-job fishermen. I get to thinking sometimes I'm a bit unhinged as regards my obsession with fishing, but these guys make me look downright stable.

F

10. Savage Rods

Savage Rods Member

if you are getting movement i would suggest a rewrap of the guide
    i can do it
    not sure that i am the closest to you

Paul is right. If you are getting movement, rewrap it. It's just going to get worse.