cow on spinner!

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by kidflex, Nov 25, 2008.

1. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

wow.. that was a battle there..

3. awesum

awesum Senior Member

I like my eggbeater just fine.

That rod looks like a Calstar or a Crowder turned backwards .... LOL!

4. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

some of those replies really reflect how stubborn those Cali boys are.
    calling BS just because it's a spinning rig, and then when they see the pics,
    they call BS again.
    Personally, I think Kil should go out there for a couple weeks & educate them. I wish they'd realize cow tackle technology has surpassed the
    50w/Calstar Boomer approach.
    That said, I still wouldn't try it on a Ca. party boat.....
    awesome catch!
    -Brian

5. gman

gman Senior Member

well I don't think the questioning was because it was a spinning reel but more because it was a shephros. I mean god bless that is crazy, I mean insane crazy in the 10th degree. If it was a stella or a saltiga or a twin spin it would be more than believable.

Unless someone proves differently I applaud them. Great job

6. Pope

Pope Senior Member

well I don't think the questioning was because it was a spinning reel but more because it was a shephros. I mean god bless that is crazy, I mean insane crazy in the 10th degree. If it was a stella or a saltiga or a twin spin it would be more than believable.

Unless someone proves differently I applaud them. Great job

Agreed. I am leaning to the BS side of things. I want to see video.

7. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Yeah, maybe you're right. I did wonder about that myself. Looks like PowerPro, too.

previously on BD, they have deeply chastised those who would use a spinner
    on a tuna trip, even though it has been proven worthy nearly everywhere else in the world.
    I have noticed that Calstar & Seeker are now offering their versions of this style rod, & Mark/Charkbait has them on the menu as well.
    I guess even after being gone for over 16 years, it still amazes me how slow
    that scene is to come around to new approaches. I never realized it until I got into the GOM scene. Oh, and the Internet:D

-B

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

First of all, I got to congratulate them for the feat.
    As Drew said, they would never see 300 lbs tuna with such grears 99 times out of 100. I feel that some parts of tuna mouth have weak points and they don't fight well once hooks penetrate those parts as I've experienced 100 lbs tuna caught on jigs followed to the surface without much resistance.
    Once you survived the initial run and the boat can follow, you have chance to land any tuna by hanging there.
    I plan to bring Accurate 665 2-speed, B2 30, Stella 20000 and Saragosa 18000F and ZeeBaas reels for cow in South Africa soon.

9. gman

gman Senior Member

When I was in PV, the locals were laughing at me when I was loading the panga with my spinning gear. I was ok with that because I realize they don't understand this isnt grandpa's spinning reel.

This is a work of art, this is a machine every ounce of it. The captain understood because Adrian fished with him before and used spinning reels.

I had a hookup with my 18000 stella and the tuna ripped off about 150-200 yards at 22 pounds although I cant understand how a spheros wouldn't blow up after hours of fighting until someone proves him wrong ... God bless.

I would only imagine they hung on for dear life and tired the fish out until they could stick some steel in it. Just my humble opinion

Sami from Anglers Pro shop caught a 160 pound yellowfin in under 5 minutes on spinning gear in Panama this year and its on video but he horsed in in with heavy heavy drag so anything is possable

10. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Anything is possible. As said before 99 oof 100 times that fish would have been history.
    I haven't heard of any spheros blow ups yet. I have seen a few people catch some quality fish with a spheros.
    But if it is a true story...my hats off!

11. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

That fish died of old age. :) Truthfully all tunas are not created equal. Like KIL said some give it up from the git go, especially when gut hooked.

Regardless they are lucky somthing didn't explode!

12. gman

gman Senior Member

That fish died of old age. :) Truthfully all tunas are not created equal. Like KIL said some give it up from the git go, especially when gut hooked.

Regardless they are lucky somthing didn't explode!

Steve ... your going to Panama correct, if so I look forward to fishing with you

13. fathom

Gman,

We can only hope that such an encounter is waiting for us!

I am bringing new Tokara 60 and spider harness.

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Gman,

We can only hope that such an encounter is waiting for us!

I am bringing new Tokara 60 and spider harness.
    Glenn & Steve,
    Good luck on Panama trip. I am counting on you guys. :)
    You guys have better chance to land a cow with spinnig gears than any other guys as you are prepared and have a will to do it with enthusiasm.

I have been considering fishing in Panama for years and Dennis Braid always tells me how good fishing is in Panama as he visit there every year.
    I finally have a chance to fish Panama in April when big tuna are abundant.
    It is a kind of exploratory trip just for jigging and popping mainly for yft, cubera snapper and roosterfish and will fish with only 2 - 3 guys. Whereever I go, I tend to make reseach thoroughly as much as possible. I talked with the owner of the operation and made inquiry about captains' experience as well as the location of lodge and operations. Everything seems great, but I got to fish there to get first hand information.
    Once I like the place, I'll introduce the operation to other fishermen.

15. fathom

Kil,
    Thanks for your encoragment! It can't hurt our chances that we will have Sami as coach.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil,
    Thanks for your encoragment! It can't hurt our chances that we will have Sami as coach.
    Oh, Sami is going ? He is a great guy and excellent fisherman.
    I know you guys have lots of fun there.

17. gman

gman Senior Member

Kil,

Were going to tear it up Steve, I've been talking to the owner of the lodge and they have had two roosters over 100 pounds lately on poppers. It will be my birthday on the trip January 8th all I want is a cow on a popper. So Steve please bring gift wrap and a bow for my tuna LOL

The Tokora is a great rod BTW I was just playing with one at APS

18. gman

gman Senior Member

Glenn & Steve,
    Good luck on Panama trip. I am counting on you guys. :)
    You guys have better chance to land a cow with spinnig gears than any other guys as you are prepared and have a will to do it with enthusiasm.

Thank Kil

19. fathom

I keep thinking of 300lb. tuna on spinner. this is a mind-:eek:

20. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Awesome fish on spinning tackle. I have no doubt that the report is authentic. I caught a huge tuna on a stock Spheros 14000 reel. It wasn't a 300lber but it has been the biggest fish of my life to date.

Excellent catch, and congrats to the very very lucky angler.

Here is my tuna on a stock spheros 14000. I know there are many other anglers that have landed 100+ pounders on a Spheros.

[​IMG]