Cow Jigging and Popping

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by rtran, Sep 24, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I need some input and what kind of jigging and popping tackle is recommended to jig and pop for cow tuna. Lines and drag input also appreciated.

I was thinking maybe JM 500G and Saltiga 50 for jigging and have a stella 18000 with OTI 80lb rod.

Rich

2. thunnus

thunnus Guest

Yes, wud be very interesting to know, esp. for the stella 18000 with OTI 80lb rod. :)

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I need some input and what kind of jigging and popping tackle is recommended to jig and pop for cow tuna. Lines and drag input also appreciated.

I was thinking maybe JM 500G and Saltiga 50 for jigging and have a stella 18000 with OTI 80lb rod.

Rich
    Rich,
    I have an impression 500g JM Power Spell rods can handle 200 -300 lbs tuna.
    I met my rod builder, rodwinder, yesterday and he got the same impression after checking 500g blank. In fact, I am thinking 500g JM rod might be a good choice for live bait fishing for cow on the long range boats out of San Diego as 500g is very light compared with normal cow rods like Seeker or Calstar.
    I plan to test 500g rod if I go on 10 days trip on the Intrepid to lower Baja with Wahoodad, fishoridie and rest of seasoned long range fishermen in Nov.

I have mixed opinion on Saltiga 50. I always say Saltiga 40/50 is one of the best star drag jigging reels in the market and it is no secret I love my Saltiga 40/50. I caught a few bluefin over 200 lbs on jigs with my Saltiga 50.
    However the max drag of Saltiga 40/50 is 23 - 25 lbs. When I landed a 172 lbs yellowfin with my Saltiga 50, It was no problem, but when I fought a 250 lbs cow with the reel, it was hard to gain any line when tuna made a circle under the boat simply because the light drag of 23 - 25 lbs was not good enough. Besides, my Saltiga's handle got frozen. I still don't know it was because of heat generated by fighting long or other malfuction of the reel by enormous pressure of the fish. My friend Mike Jung landed 77" (260- 270 lbs) bluefin with Saltiga 50 after fighting three hours and he told me the reel made strange sound and the drag seemed not functioning properly after the fight.

I think it is a logical choice to use lever drag reels which have strength and durability as well as have max drag over 30 lbs at full for cow.
    If you like star drag reels, Trinidad 40/50 could be a good choice as they have 33 lbs max drag and it is believed the 40/50 are very strong.

Don't underestimate the sheer power of cow. :)

4. gman

gman Senior Member

in October I will be hunting cow in PV with the following two setups

2008 Shimano Stella SW20000PG on a Shimano Blue Rose 4815

2008 Shimano Stella Sw18000HG on a Carpenter DJ83MH

I will be jiggging with Andamans jigs and popperibg with hammerhead GCups and Heru Poppers

If that fails bet your ass I will be slow trolling skippies from mt jiggibg rod ha ha

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I will be jiggging with Andamans jigs and popperibg with hammerhead GCups and Heru Poppers

If that fails bet your ass I will be slow trolling skippies from mt jiggibg rod ha ha
    Glen, I am going next week unless there is no hurricane and scout for you. :)

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Glen, I am going next week unless there is no hurricane and scout for you. :)

Lucky! Saltiga 50 with carbontex drags maybe will work. What lines did you use?

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

What lines do you have?

8. tehtuna

tehtuna Junior member

I'd stay away from the Saltiga. Even with the carbontex drags it will only be making around 25# at max which isn't really enough. It definitely possible but, if I wanted a dedicated cow outfit it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd wait for the new Extreme Boss Accurates or like Kilsong suggested a TN40. I have seen a couple fried TN40s though. Something else you want to keep in mind is a reel that has the ability to clip into a harness.

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Gotcha, thanks for your input. When I get a chance this weekend I will scale my saltiga 40 for drag and see what it can do with the carbontex.

I'll look into the extreme boss accurates.

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

The reel must be small and powerful because of jigging. Any suggestions other than trinidad 40/50?
    The Stella 18000 and OTI should be quite capable of doing the job but am looking for confimation on this.

11. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I don't think there's a catch all answer to the question, too many variables involved but here are my newly reformed random thoughts on it:

If you're jigging with the express purpose of catching a cow tuna, I'd fish with a small light 2-speed like an Accurate ATD 12 or a John Baker 6. Under true heavy pressure (over 25#'s) it is very difficult to gain any line against a large tuna and a fully loaded rod. I know Kil got a cow on a Saltiga, but as others (including him) have pointed out, that's not optimal. I would rather spend a little extra energy jigging w/ a 40oz. reel than spend the enormous amounts of extra energy it would take to fight the fish without 2-speed. If you're not fighting from the rail, these reels have lugs, which will be essential. Also these reels are just more robust: bigger drag plates, anti-reverse, drive gears, etc. There's an inverse relationship between ease of fishing with gear and ease of fighting with gear, you gotta make the trade off.

For popping, Kil hit on the #1 issue: Popping rods generally do not have the backbone necessary to cut off the circles of a large tuna. Fishing from a private boat where you can use the boat to help fight the fish makes a huge difference. You have to do something to turn the tuna's head up and stop the circles or else that wide body acts like a plane, holding the fish at depth.

I'd try to keep the popping rod at 8' or less. Every extra inch helps you cast but hurts you with the fish. I would also make sure the rod can pull at least 25 lbs at 45 deg (absolute minimum) and still be an effective lever. If we're talking YFT here, they seem happy to take larger lures than other tuna. I'm not bothered throwing 140g+ lures at them (there are times this doesn't work). This means you can go with a stronger rod.

I would also install a metal gimbal if the popping rod didn't come with one (as many japanese rods do not) and be prepared with a large gimbal plate (the little sevenseas plate doesn't cut it), harness and D ring strap for the rod. Be able to easily get out of your harness too. The fish WILL do something you don't expect at some point and with a long popping rod, you'll need to move fast without being strapped in.

Make sure the gear fits you. That means the rod, reel handle, plate, harness, your shoes, everything.

Have complete confidence in every piece of gear you bring and every knot you tie, test it beforehand. Use long (15ft+) heavy leader material. The bodies of big tuna rub against the leader during the fight and abrade it terribly.

As for the spinning reel, I have more faith in Stellas than any other and it's not even close.

12. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks for a great post Sea Crappie. I have a braid belt as backup which would be perfect for that.

How much lines is needed when fishing for cow?

The John Baker reel looks very nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. thunnus

thunnus Guest

Hi guys, I wonder why Ocea Jigger is less popular than Saltiga there... yeah, why ?

14. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Hi guys, I wonder why Ocea Jigger is less popular than Saltiga there... yeah, why ?

The OJ 4k and 5k are 4/0 reels, the Saltiga 30T, 40 and 50 are 3/0. Some people prefer the smaller / lighter reel as they find it more comfortable to fish with.

15. thunnus

thunnus Guest

Thanks Sea Crappie... :)

Hi, nice John Baker reel !
    I already check the spec. It's a bit heavy, right ? :eek:
    I prefer light reel, too. :D

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I asked the same question to ChrisW in NZ why Saltiga is less popular than Saltiga in NZ and why ? :)
    As Sea Crappie said it is much convenient to use 3/0 reel for jigging. I don't think Accurate 665 is so popular if 665 were 4/0 size reel like Avet Hoo-X.

Richi,
    After I open a shop, I realize it becomes very difficult to give my opinions even I think it is unbiased.
    I am a dealer of John Baker and Accurate. I carry them as I see some merit of those reels for jigging.
    Before I opened my shop, I bought John Baker 12 for cow jigging and possible jigging for a giant bluefin as it has strength and line capacity upto 400lbs tuna. After I reveiw John Baker reels, I still think the reel is good for bait fishing, not for regular jigging. John fishes all his life on the West Coast and I see it the John Baker reels are designed for West Coast Fishermen, especially for long range fishermen. The John Baker reels are like tank. They are super strong and durable. However when you move drag lever and turn the handle, you notice it is not like your normal jigging reels. It is pretty stiff. I am going to use the reel for specifically targeting big tuna, but I don't want to use them for normal jigging situation.

17. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Rich, I saw the reel at Kil's and can contest of what he's saying.

18. rtran

rtran Senior Member

That's hard for me to make a choice now since I can't see the reel and feel it.

19. rtran

rtran Senior Member

John Baker hasn't respond to my email yet. I am wondering about this issue, maybe he can send me one to feel what it is like.

I'm still searching for a compact reel able to hold at least 500yd 100# spectra and has over 30# drag.

20. d-a

d-a Senior Member

My ocea 5000 got 430 yards of OTI 80lb(100 lb breaking) I dont think the extra 70 yards will make or break you

d-a

21. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I'll look into the Ocea..but I got small hands - don't know if I will like the reel since it's tall.

22. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I think I have found the perfect reel for what I am looking for. Thanks to TJ