could use some help with reel choice...

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Bill Fisher, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

lemme ask the same thing N2Tuna asked

I need help choosing a coupla spinning reels. I ain't in Dallas no mo' and there is not a lot tackle shops around. I have been reading on this site for a couple years and i have seen a lot of information on the lower end spinning reels. My budget is in the $200 range. I have seen the following reels new on various online stores but is there sumpin on this list or another suggestion y'all might have in this price range for a coupla spinners to put on on my private boat for guests.........

Fin Nor OFS 95 $139
    Shimmano Spheros 1400 $110
    Shimmano Thunus $220
    Quantum Cabo PTS 80 $169
    Penn 950ssm $119
    Penn 9500ss $149
    Okuma VS 65/80 $189

i don't really wanna be turning over any stellas, zeebasss, or van staals to novices that might drop'em in-the-drink

mostly i want sumpin big, lotta capacity, and enough drag to handle hard runners like yft, ajs, sails, etc........ but i just won't be having to deal with rig legs or other lines hanging over the side of a headboat if that makes any differnce between a headboat reel suggestion and a private boat reel suggestion

i guess i could just get a coupla them daiwa giants and consider'em one-shot-disposables but i'd actually like to see'em have a chance at landing their fish if y'all think those daiwa giants are just cr^p made strickly for catfishermen in fresh water....... the danged things (the DF100A) holds 320yds o'30# and/or 240yds o'40# mono!...... i think i'd prolly would wanna put heavy spectre on'em but feel like that might be like putting lipstick on a pig

any thots?

2. awesum

awesum Senior Member

BF ....

Of the reels you have listed I have the Shimano Spheros 14000 and the Quantum Cabo 80PTS. I have the same setup on both .... about 300 yards of 65# braid with a top shot of 50# mono. Each reel has landed a 100#+ YFT on a top water. The Spheros a 107# and the Cabo 80 a 105#. Now there are those that will say just a few tuna is not a true test and their opinion has merit. But so far I am satisfied.

I am far too abusive and careless with equipment to spend $700 - 800 for a spinner.

BTW I am curious where you found those prices. Those are some great prices. The Cabo 80 retails for $211 and I got mine for $190 and the Spheros 14000 retails for $140 and I got mine for $123. I thought I done good....:)

Bobby

3. Bill Fisher

sorry, that was a copy/paste from N2Tuna's post....... maybe he can help ya

but here's a place with some of the best pricing i've seen on reels (check it out/shop around).......... i use it for comparison when shopping

All-American Outdoors - Fishing

btw, thanx for the reply

4. awesum

awesum Senior Member

sorry, that was a copy/paste from N2Tuna's post....... maybe he can help ya

but here's a place with some of the best pricing i've seen on reels (check it out/shop around).......... i use it for comparison when shopping

All-American Outdoors - Fishing

btw, thanx for the reply

I gotcha .... I had not read n2tuna's thread yet.

BTW I did upgrade the drag in the Spheros with the carbon fiber drag from smoooooooooth drags. The Cabo 80 has a ceramic drag I think.

Thanx for the link. I bookmarked it.

5. papio

papio Senior Member

The Penn 950SSM is okay for what u need. Good capacity and HT100 drag sys.

There's cheaper spinners out there that would do the job like the Okuma Epixor and Salina - much lighter in weight and bulkiness than the Penn.

I don't reccomend the Fin Nor OFS95.

6. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

The thunnus is a baitrunner, and really heavy, I'd go with the spheros

7. N2Tuna

N2Tuna Member

8. awesum

awesum Senior Member

9. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

Barbie poles for $19.99 .... Scooby Doos for $11.99 ....You gotta be kidding me! :eek:

:D

Have you looked at any Daiwa's?

10. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

11. Bill Fisher

12. awesum

awesum Senior Member

i found the rig i need!!!!!!!!!!

Instant Fisherman™ - The Portable Fishing Kit Official Website

call now!

our operators are standing by

and if you act now..........................................................................

They have an infomercial on TV about this thing and in one scene he's fighting about a 6' shark with it ...:rolleyes:

Just think of the bidness they're taking away from OTI ....:)

I'll take two...;)