Costa Rica - Puerto Jimenez

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by MrBill, Jan 2, 2009.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Puerto Jimenez is a little town in south Costa Rica. Forty five miles to the south is Panama. It is on the Golfo Dulce which is a inlet or bay type system off the Pacific side of Costa Rica. The gulf or Golfo Dulce is mainly for inshore fisherman. It does have some deep areas which can reach over 600 feet in depth.

In the gulf you can expect to catch Roosters, cubera snapper, snook, and many other species. At the mouth where it hits the Pacific it really comes alive. The bait gets sucked out to the Pacific and many other species come into play. Billfish, dorado's, tuna come to feed.

My goal was to catch cubera's, and roosters on poppers and jigs. I chartered a boat out of Golfido which is about ten miles across the Golfo Dulce. The Capt (Kevin) was from Florida. He has been in Costa Rica for four years. Kevin is a die hard offshore guy and hates inshore fishing. The deckhand the first day was another Capt that didn't have a charter. He has spent most of his life fishing NJ and the east coast. He moved to Florida the last three years and then got the opportunity to Capt a boat out of Golfido.

Brian (the NJ Capt) was very good as a deckhand. He loves to fish. He wants to be on the water every day. I learned all about fishing the Northeast coast line from him. He was telling me that he love fishing the canyons and going after bluefins. I told him to get ready to experience the world of using fine spinning gear. He was very impressed with my gear. He was even more impressed after seeing how effective high quality spinning gear can be on fish.

We started out fishing the mouth of the gulf where it meets the Pacific to fish a rock famous for roosters. It was full of cuda's so we went north down the beach line on the Pacific side. Instead of catching Rooster's, we kept catching Dodo's. Big ones. One after another. My wife was worn out. She pumped in at least a half dozen before her arms gave out. These were all nice size fish. (20 to 40 pounds) At one point we had the deck full and fish and had to stop to box them. These fish were only fifty to one hundred yards offshore. You could hit the beach with a popper.

Here's some pics of the hottest dorado I have ever experienced. Three straight hours of fighting Dodo's. I took two back for the cooks at my lodge and gave the rest to the boat. Many people got fed that night.

Attached Files:

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

did you tell him that he wouldnt have liked the canyons this year ;)

awesome pics so far mrbill!

question - how does your wife like your modified handles??

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

More dodo pics.

Attached Files:

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

She didn't complain about the big knobs. Only the fact that she got worn out. She gets very exciting bringing in fish. I found her tolerance point of using drag. 17#s was perfect for her. Any more and she yelled at me. I was pumping them in at the same time but using 25#'s of drag. It took me 1/3 the time as her.:)

Attached Files:

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

more pics

Attached Files:

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

More pics of dodo's.

Attached Files:

7. gman

gman Senior Member

great pictures dont think we will ever get a face shot of you hahaha I noticed a cracked popper ... and thanks for the travel tips on Panama BTW

8. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Cool pics MrBill. What was the final bodycount on the dorado?

Very secretive with the pics :cool:

To make it easier you could just blur out the faces instead of having to crop the photos. Might be easier.

9. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

great pics.
    they really look like they go after the poppers
    nice job

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

A gentleman never gives a body count total and leaves them biting to pursue other species.:) Let me just say that I told the Capt to leave the area as my goal that day was to catch some rooster's. Also, they were pouring a beer down the gills of the dodo's to stop the bleeding. It was only 9am and the box was full of dodo's and I was very thirsty.:D So we left the area so I could have some beers.:)

Cracked poppers. Yes. I busted every brand I took. Most were from hitting rocks at high velocity. I was using the new Tuna Sniper by OTI that morning. I guess I don't know my own strength as I hit numerous rock by casting farther than expected. I just kept the poppers on until I only had the wire harness left.

And yes, my camera has a built in cropping device.:D The rest of the day was spent trying to avoid Dodo's which was very hard. I had to turn to jigging around noon to avoid the Dodo's. The rocks we jigged at were holding nothing but bonito. I did get bent over a couple times enough that I thought I was going to break the rod but the leader broke first.

We went back inside the gulf to find roosters but were not successful that day. Kevin doesn't know much about rooster fishing, but Brian was eager to learn as he has only been in Costa Rica for four weeks, spending most of time getting a 33' Chris Craft ready to Capt for a owner in NJ.

Give me some time to resize some more pics. I have plenty of time now. Here's a face shot of Brain from NJ. Also a popper that got chewed on a bunch of times.

Attached Files:

11. Jesse Lockowitz

Jesse Lockowitz Member

absolutely sick...cant wait for the rest of the report+pics. looks like a helluva damn good time!

Jesse

12. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Beers to stop the bleeding, that's a new one to me. Did it actually work or are you sure they weren't trying to marinate them for you before you got back to shore :)

Which jigging rod got the workout that day?

13. Jesse Lockowitz

Jesse Lockowitz Member

Beers to stop the bleeding, that's a new one to me. Did it actually work or are you sure they weren't trying to marinate them for you before you got back to shore :)

Which jigging rod got the workout that day?

nope, seen it done here w/ dolhpin, you take a spray bottle like an old windex bottle, fill it w/ some strong liquor, cheap tequilla or w/e, and spray it right into the gills on em...

Jesse

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Pouring beer down the gills of any fish will stop the bleeding. Whiskey works best. It also holds the color of the fish. The dodo's still looked like they were just caught when the filleting commenced.

I was using a custom made OTI 5'2" 600 gram rod for jigging. I know I was hooked up on big cubera's because of weight of the fish. Slow moving and almost unstoppable. When we got back to the dock, if you want to call it a dock, there were some Tico's (local Costa Rican's) had a pickup bed full of 60 to 110 pound cubera's. The truck was pulling away as I tried to flag them down for some info.:mad: More on this subject later.

Here's a picture of the dock. It's really just a short tall pier and the local kid's use it dive and swim from late in the day. It's very difficult to back up to as it is a steel step system that can damage a boat real bad. It's a quick on and off loading for customers getting into boats.

There is also tons of wildlife. Monkey's are abundant and at first I loved them. After a couple of days I was stopped looking at them as I became used to them.

Attached Files:

15. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Nice report and pix MrBill!

16. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

nice catches! great pics. looking forward for more report and photos. a woman fishing 17lbs of drag is very repectful.

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Next morning after not sleeping for various reasons, I get talked into changing my game plan of the search for roosters. We did give a shot for about an hour after the two Capt's asked around for rooster grounds. Well, it was not to be as dodo's and cuda's were all over us. So, in with the lines and out to the deep in search for bills. We had a four pound yellowfin in the tuna tube ready in case Mr Marlin showed his face. He never showed.:mad:

It was a typical trolling day with ups and downs. One huge pod of Porpoise's was working an area. There was hundreds busting the water. We worked the area for an hour and picked up one bill. No tuna, which wasn't for a lack of trying different lures, baits and techniques. Overall, it was a beer drinking day with some decent billfish action.

On the way back we stopped off at the mouth of the gulf and tried once again for rooster's. Nothing but snapper and other strange species.

Attached Files:

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

More

Attached Files:

19. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

more

Attached Files:

20. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

great pics.