Costa Rica-Fishing Report (20 February – 2 March 2017)

Discussion in 'South of the Border' started by Zancudo Lodge, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Zancudo Lodge

Zancudo Lodge Member

As we approach the end of February there has been very noticeable improvement offshore with more Sailfish showing up between 10 and 15 miles from the Matapalo Point. The bite has been a bit sporadic on a few days but our captains are very persistent, searching the seemingly endless ocean for temperature breaks, rips or anything unusual that may hold fish. I recall a particular day that there were so many free jumping sailfish that I lost count after twenty. Nonetheless, we were able to get the hook in several sails and we’re sure that any day now the bite will explode.

We have also noticed that the billfish are not teasing very well, and the majority of bites, with the exception of a couple all came on the long, chin-weighted swimming ballyhoo baits, fished on very light leaders. When these critters get finicky sometimes its the little things that make all the difference. Scale down the terminal tackle, 50 lb. fluorocarbon if you have to and smaller circle hooks, and I promise you that your odds will improve. The water temperature seems to be returning to normal, currently 84-85 however it still remains a bit too high, and although the tuna schools were around, the bite was a bit tough. Captain Coco and Javier found a few nice sized fish early last week.

There marlin action was not very explosive last week but a couple guests got lucky on a some blue marlin. Rick Sullivan and his wife Sharon were here along with buddy Pete Sails and Amy Spring. Rick’s dream was to catch a marlin and he accomplished just that. The fish was estimated at around 200 lbs. His buddy Pete also released a number of Sailfish too. Congrats Pete on your bucket list fish!

The inshore bite has remained very consistent over the past few months and we are surely grateful for that. Costa Rica touts some of the best rooster-fishing available along the eastern Pacific and not to mention a wonderful Cubera Snapper fishery. You can pretty much run through 40 baits on a typical inshore day here which makes for some really great fun on light tackle. Grouper, Yellowtail and Colorado Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Snook, Sierra Mackerel and Bluefin Trevally are just some of the variety available inshore, and there’s usually plenty to go around.

I’d like to give a special mention to Patrick and Julie Nye who came to visit us at Zancudo Lodge to celebrate Julie’s 60th Birthday. This couple are certainly no strangers to Costa Rica and have been returning to the land of ‘pura vida‘ for many years. Julie’s birthday wish was a Roosterfish and on the day, captain Tito put her on a really nice fish; mission accomplished! Congratulations Julie, we know that this was one special trip for both and we are sure we will see you again in the future. Next week we expecting a full house with 8 boats fishing for 5 days so stay tuned in for our next fishing report. I’m sure i’ll have some great stories to tell.

Tight Lines!
    Albert Battoo

The Zancudo Lodge, Costa Rica
    DSCF0357.jpg DSCF0376.jpg DSCF0385.jpg Julie Nye-Cubera Snapper.jpg Julie Nye-Jack.jpg Julie Nye-Roosterfish.jpg Patrick Nye-Dorado.jpg DSCN0246.JPG DSCN0275.JPG DSCN0276.JPG