Corrosion Clean-up

Discussion in 'Reels' started by BFTMASTER, Jul 6, 2009.

1. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

After letting my brother in-law borrow some of my offshore gear two years ago, I finally got it back at a Bar-B-Q for the 4th. Long story short, he did not clean anything after a trip offshore. The reels seems to work fine, but there is some salty looking crystalization that formed on various pieces of metal. Also on my eyelets and reel seats on the rods.

Does anyone have a magic solution to dissolve this stuff? Is WD-40 the best way to clean it off?

Thanks-Chris

2. txcards

txcards Senior Member

corrosion x works well. Buy it at academy

3. jig

jig Senior Member

If its crusty and white, agree with Corrosion x. Make sure you soak everything good and let it sit a while, even overnight, before you try and take anything apart. CX will seep in an loosen damn near anything if you give it time.

If its green corrosion, vinegar is your best bet.

WD-40 is best used on your brother in law. Hold a lighted match in front of the red tube before dispensing.

4. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Corrosion X or better yet - your brother in law should buy & replace your offshore gear

5. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Two years??? Man you are one patient brother in law.

I'll add another vote for the Corrosion X. You might want to open up that reel as well and check out the inards. Your drag washers and bearings might be toast if salt water got in.

6. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

For really stubborn mineral deposits, you might try using a little Lime-Away on a Q-tip. Don't leave it on too long, rinse well, dry, and wipe down with Corrosion-X.

7. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

WD-40 is best used on your brother in law. Hold a lighted match in front of the red tube before dispensing.

+100

8. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

For really stubborn mineral deposits, you might try using a little Lime-Away on a Q-tip. Don't leave it on too long, rinse well, dry, and wipe down with Corrosion-X.

My down east water leaves white residue on the chrome parts of my tiagras and about twice a year i have to use Lime-Away on them. Makes them look brand new.

9. jig

jig Senior Member

A follow up comment: if you use vinegar, make sure you rinse off well with fresh water. It is mildly corrosive itself. I assume same would apply to Lime away. I would then wipe down with CX.

Seems we all like CX.

10. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Lime away or the original CLR. http://www.shopclr.com/CLR-Cleaners-1?leadsource=PS144&s_kwcid=TC|6221|clr||S||2522028619&gclid=CMjvp4-GyZsCFQ9JagodrzmjLQ

Either needs to be rinsed off thoroughly and used sparingly.

11. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Haha 1 Up on the WD-40!

That is a flame thrower waiting to be used

12. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Back when I shot a lot of photos underwater, I'd often fill a tub half full with water and dump a bottle of vinegar into it before putting all of my underwater photo gear in the tub for a long soak. This helped get salt out of spots that a normal rinse wouldn't contend with. While this isn't going to help already corroded gear, it might help with future routine maintenance.

13. beachcomber

beachcomber Guest

I personally use Reel Saver / Boat Saver, which is next-generation U.S. Navy-grade synthetic lube.

I know about Corrosion X, which I am sure is similarly reliable.

However, WD-40 is among a long list of things that you do NOT want to be spraying on metal in saltwater environment. It opens the door to rust. It is a heavily solvated petroleum product that gums things up.

Try using gentle cleaners that have no residue, and then apply a light coat of a synthetic that is loaded with corrosion inhibitors like those mentioned above.

14. jureal

jureal Senior Member

I recently read that the propellant in WD40 has been changed to C02 so I don't think that it would work very well as a flamethrower.

I use Wd40 in a salt water environment and it has held up very well....err not on my reels though. Things like pliers and such.
    Are you saying that I should not be doing this?

15. dan1

dan1 Senior Member

CLR is great stuff, and you can get it anywhere. It's an acid that chemically dissolves the salt, not lubricate it like WD-40. I've brought back to life some reels that looked like they were made of salt. No need to soak over night either, just a few minutes and a metal wire brush will do the trick. I tried Lime-Away but that stuff is too weak and the smell is unbearable.

16. jig

jig Senior Member

There is a belief by some that WD40 attracts and/or traps water. I am not sure I buy into this, but CX works a whole lot better for whatever reason. I only use WD40 nowadays as a cleaner.

17. jureal

jureal Senior Member

wd40 works great as an adhesive remover. Those pesky price labels that they put on stuff at the store. Every try to get that adhesive off? Wd40 will get it off.