cooking tuna

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by lucas_shane, Mar 31, 2009.

1. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

ok i have a lil tuna left after grilling, pan searing, broiling, tuna salad, shashimi.

my wife is asking about deep fried beer battered tuna.
    any body ever had DEEP FRIED TUNA?

2. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Never had it but I had some coonasses down in venice tell me about frying some up with a gravy made with creamcheese and said it was awesome. Dont hold me to it though. Regardless post back up how it turns out. I been wanting to try it.

3. Smitty 20

Smitty 20 Junior member

i have never done this. im sure it would be good tho. please post back how it is! to me grilling is the way to go

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Tried pan frying and didn't care for it.

5. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Crockpot like a roast, put your favorites in let it slow cook.

6. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

lol....looks like like we are probally just gonna have to try it and see. ill wait a day or two and see if anyone else has tryed it

7. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I've made fish sticks with left over uncooked portions a few times.

It makes an interesting lunch for me and the kids.

Traditional ketcup dipping sticks..

Nothing Gormet about it.

I'll do it again when the ocassion arises.

8. workin

workin Member

Hey,

I've tried it. I thought it was ok, but I ate an armadillo once and thought that was ok too. I think that in general, oily fishes tend to be poor frying fish.

F

9. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

ok i have a lil tuna left after grilling, pan searing, broiling, tuna salad, shashimi.

my wife is asking about deep fried beer battered tuna.
    any body ever had DEEP FRIED TUNA?

I make a dish every now and then, just as an appetizer though. Take the Tuna, cut it into chunks (about 1" to 1 1/2"). Make sure its chunks, if you cut it into strips, you will overcook it and dry it out. You want it juicy inside. Marinate the chunks in soy sauce, sake, and fresh ground ginger root. After a few hours, pat them dry with papertowel, then lightly coat them in soft-as-silk flour, and deep fry them. Put them out on a plate over sliced Daikon or cabbage and drizzle it with a hot Thai Chili sauce.

I know it sounds like a lot, but its not hard. That is the only way I have ever had deep fried Tuna that was any good. I certainly would not beer batter it....

10. awesum

awesum Senior Member

some coonasses down in venice

Er .... um ..... uh .... I guess that would be South Louisiana Acadians in a politically correct world.... :D

11. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

well guys i just battered up some blackfin tuna wit pancake batter and beer and deep fried til batter was golden brown......OMG.......its freaking awesome. the wife just kept eating.....lol.....said she likes it better than grilled or anything else......have to admit......i did a darn good job this time.....lol

12. Smitty 20

Smitty 20 Junior member

awesome, ill have to give it try this summer. thanks for the update!

13. margarita mojo

margarita mojo Senior Member

It is also very good fried in a tempura batter and then dipped in a creamy jalapeno sauce. My friends always request some tuna like this when we have a fish fry.

Joe

14. TEAM NAVY

TEAM NAVY Junior member

Blackfin fried in Mortons fish and chips batter is freakin' awesome. Took some to deer camp last year and the guys stuffed themselves on it. I have also taken blackfin and boiled it and made tuna salad out of it, its real good.
    Yellowfin though is a different matter, raw or sizzled on both sides for 1 minute each for me, just my 2 cents.

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Guys,
    Try bf on a kabob with bacon, mushroom, califlower, yellow bell pepper, and pineapple.

16. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Guys,
    Try bf on a kabob with bacon, mushroom, califlower, yellow bell pepper, and pineapple.
    That sounds more like it. I absolutely love fried fish but have pretty much cut fried foods out of my diet.:( I do make an exception for fried fish and shrimp occasionally.:D

17. dfwroadkill

dfwroadkill Junior member

well guys i just battered up some blackfin tuna wit pancake batter and beer and deep fried til batter was golden brown......OMG.......its freaking awesome. the wife just kept eating.....lol.....said she likes it better than grilled or anything else......have to admit......i did a darn good job this time.....lol

I'm taking that this was a deep fish fryer of the usual variety? When you say golden brown, did it float or did you just go by color?

It sounds like something I'd like to try. Thanks....