Conventional casting rods/reels combo

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by crazy8, Oct 19, 2009.

1. crazy8

crazy8 Senior Member

What do you guys use for casting lead heads/tins/poppers with conventional gear? I much prefer conventional gear for casting over spinning. I get much more distance (with heavier tins/plugs) over spin gear.

Reels? Rods? Line?

I have a Trinidad 20 (w/carbontex), casts like a dream. Not sure if it would stop a 100+ lb fish. I also have numerous Avets, non-MC Cast. They cast just as good if not better than the TN20. Once again, I dont think my Avets cant stop a 100+ lb'er.

Wish they would stop playing games and make a JX Raptor 2 speed MC Cast.............

2. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

On offshore gear its the opposite for me, but on inshore gear i do get more distance on conventional...

3. GREYGHOST

GREYGHOST Guest

4. crazy8

crazy8 Senior Member

Conventional Grey Ghost? What does that mean?

Does no one use conv. gear for casting?

I was hoping to see comparisons, Shimano, Accurate, etc.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you can but how many casts can you do with a 2-3oz lure throughout the night with 0 backlashes and a decently weighted rod? thats the real problem. you get backlashes, and at 3AM after 6 hours of casting thats a pain. or if a fish hits it while sitting which isnt uncommon.

for a few casts or for an expert conventional thrower with a 4oz lure its definitely better as far as distance and fighting but id rather just keep throwing and not worry about it

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Accurate 665 single speeds and Trinidads seem to be the most popular conventional casting reels for poppers. I was on a boat this weekend and most were casting 665's all night long. I don't remember seeing but a few backlashes out of hundreds of cast. I was amazed at the distance they were getting. They also hooked up at least a dozen nice yellowfins on various topwater baits.

It's all about confidence. Once you get the hang of it, a conventional casting reel is very accurate at pinpointing a spot. My problem with conventional is the fact that I tend to cast over a 180 degree range. Crosswinds will get me in trouble with backlashes if I get excited. If you see a fish working the surface 90 degrees to the wind, it's difficult with a conventional. At least for me.

The main reason I like spinning reels is the ability to cast 360 degrees without worrying about the wind. In a perfect world where the fish would always be downwind of you, a conventional would be my first choice.

7. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Can the experienced conventional casters underhand cast easy? I think for me being able to cast the 40-60 sniper from anywhere on the boat just the far as the rest of the anglers is helpful. On TBB i casted from mid boat all nite long just as far as everyone trying to air it out on the bow and side arm it from from the stern. I didnt have to worry about hooking anyone and it was groovy...

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Can the experienced conventional casters underhand cast easy? I think for me being able to cast the 40-60 sniper from anywhere on the boat just the far as the rest of the anglers is helpful. On TBB i casted from mid boat all nite long just as far as everyone trying to air it out on the bow and side arm it from from the stern. I didnt have to worry about hooking anyone and it was groovy...

Yes they can, but most are slinging some sort of iron.

d-a

9. crazy8

crazy8 Senior Member

Good input guys thanks. I have been casting conventionals for quite some time now. I always prefer them over spin when chucking heavy stuff. I was just curious why I dont see many guys on the east coast offshore scene using them. From what I see, it seems like west coast guys love the long rods with conventionals.

Ive been thinking about the Accurate single speeds- they have a new line up coming out soon, and they are dropping the prices quite a bit from what I hear on the older models.

Any body care to share what setup they have for conventional casting???

10. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

I was doing well with the Hercules and Saltiga 40 on Weds! East Coast prefer spinners, West Coast guys like to sling the irons and practice it more. I read somewhere awhile back that with 4oz and over, the Conventionals cast farther. The conventionals take more practice unless you have something that is magged, but you still need to educate your thumb and be able to change weights and stuff. Once I learned how, I like slinging the heavier stuff on my conventionals.

I'm eyeing one of the new BX2 600 single speed versions...should be sweet for tuna jigging!!!

I've used my Tekota 600 and Saltist 40 Levelwind for casting, as well as smaller baitcasters for inshore stuff (Citica 200DPV).

11. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

What do you guys use for casting lead heads/tins/poppers with conventional gear? I much prefer conventional gear for casting over spinning. I get much more distance (with heavier tins/plugs) over spin gear.

Reels? Rods? Line?

I have a Trinidad 20 (w/carbontex), casts like a dream. Not sure if it would stop a 100+ lb fish. I also have numerous Avets, non-MC Cast. They cast just as good if not better than the TN20. Once again, I dont think my Avets cant stop a 100+ lb'er.

Wish they would stop playing games and make a JX Raptor 2 speed MC Cast.............

St Croix Musky very light & strong..There are many guys using theses blanks for Tuna..United Composite Wahoo & Wahoo Jr..Its the best blank I have ever fished...Calstar little heavy but a great blank & Seeker Black steel with the ex-fast tip it will cast very well..

Reel: Accurate has some of the best free spoon & with cast control how can you beat it...I do like Avet & the Hoo should make short work of a 100lb tuna..