360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into a conv jigging setup aimed at targeting blackfins, ajs, grouper, snapper, kings, etc... Im thinking a saltist 40 on a saltiga sa-jg 59xhfb rated 50-120 & jigs upto 11oz & fill it with 65lb powerpro. Would this be perfect or am I looking at overkill? Im not trying to break the bank on a first time jigging setup. I looked at the cedros rods by okuma & they felt really dern soft for the ratings.

·
1,657 Posts
That is a very good budget combo. I caught several fish with one of those rods over the weekend. It is good for 240g-400g jigs. I used a saltiga 40 on it and I feel it is the best true budget rod out there. I have never heard of one breaking.

Do two things and it will make all the difference with your set up and won't cost that much more. Add carbontex to the saltist and use 80lb boat braid instead of the PP. You will be much happier.

Here is a shot of that rod. I am looking to replace mine now with a custom in my 350 thread, but it has been a workhorse.

·
Site Sponsor
689 Posts
Looking into a conv jigging setup aimed at targeting blackfins, ajs, grouper, snapper, kings, etc... Im thinking a saltist 40 on a saltiga sa-jg 59xhfb rated 50-120 & jigs upto 11oz & fill it with 65lb powerpro. Would this be perfect or am I looking at overkill? Im not trying to break the bank on a first time jigging setup. I looked at the cedros rods by okuma & they felt really dern soft for the ratings.

I must say, I've been impressed by the Okuma Cedros Jigging rods... We fish them too hard...like the other guy said, I never heard of them breaking. They will bend..they'll bend hard on a 10 pounder...and they'll stop much bigger fish..

Case in point...we fish Cape Cod for bluefin tuna...I tried to break one on a 180 pounder in front of the Okuma Director of Product Development... I didn't...I just stopped the fish....For $110....plus, it's not graphite, which means you can bang it around a little more casually without fear of catastrophic breaking.

And to be fair....we used the OTI Tuna Snipers and OTI Popping rods all year and fought tuna to 400+ pounds.. I love them!

Capt. Rich Antonino, Black Rose Fishing Charters

1 - 4 of 4 Posts