Connection to Spinning Reel Spool

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pametfisher, Mar 1, 2009.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I've been thinking about the connection of line to the spool of a Stella 20000 and I know my options.

But the drag rises a lot as line is drawn off the reel so I'm wondering how close to the bottom of the spool any of you have gotten fighting a fish on a reel of this size. Has anyone gotten near the bottom? Or how close to it?

Thanks in advance.

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

If the fish manage to take that much line, you're in trouble anyway, the connection to the spool is the least of your worries. Just be glad you hooked up to such a monster, lol.

3. pametfisher

If the fish manage to take that much line, you're in trouble anyway, the connection to the spool is the least of your worries. Just be glad you hooked up to such a monster, lol.

Agreed! But what's the closest you can remember getting to the bottom?

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

You should ask TJ about it, I remember him telling me about a buddy of his getting his 20kFA spooled! :eek:

5. pametfisher

You should ask TJ about it, I remember him telling me about a buddy of his getting his 20kFA spooled! :eek:

This fall, I had a 125 lb. fish pull over 300 yards of braid off the reel but that was when I was only using 14 lbs. drag. That got me about halfway or so into the spool of a 950 SSM. (But there was a lot of mono backing so it was about 3/4 of the braid.)

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I would not recommend putting any mono packing on your 20k, if you want to pack down a lot of line, try packing in JB hollow braid as backing instead, you can get an average of 25% more line capacity from hollow braid depending on size.

7. pametfisher

I would not recommend putting any mono packing on your 20k, if you want to pack down a lot of line, try packing in JB hollow braid as backing instead, you can get an average of 25% more line capacity from hollow braid depending on size.

Yes, I'm going braid right to the bottom of the spool. The 950 was filled by a shop, who also put 30# on mistakenly instead of 50#. And as you suggested I'm going to use JB from top to bottom. The water in CCB is not that deep so I don't think I need Depthfinder.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

quarter spool was the lowest Ive gotten down with 17-20#'s so at least 300 yards left

9. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

dont need to put backing on the reel.

10. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Yes, TJ's stella 20K was spooled. During a brief rest of the fish, TJ checked the drag and could barely pull any line. There are some very large fish in the GOM (contrary to the credit the GOM receives) and you never know when you might hook one. After talking with TJ, I always throw my 20000 when popper fishing at the floaters.

11. pametfisher

quarter spool was the lowest Ive gotten down with 17-20#'s so at least 300 yards left

Thanks, very helpful. And thanks for the drag setting reference too. PF

12. pametfisher

Yes, TJ's stella 20K was spooled. During a brief rest of the fish, TJ checked the drag and could barely pull any line. There are some very large fish in the GOM (contrary to the credit the GOM receives) and you never know when you might hook one. After talking with TJ, I always throw my 20000 when popper fishing at the floaters.

Interesting. I fish in the Cape Cod area. Lots of fish this year were between 80 and 130 lbs., seemingly toward the bigger end by late Fall. But of course there's a whole fleet out in the same area fishing with bait for Giants. Friends of mine caught fish between 600 and 1000 lbs.

So I don't know much about the mix between 150 and 600 lbs. I guess if it's one of those, I'll just have to take my luck. If I load with 80# JB, set my drag at 25 lbs., and were to get to the point where I had 75 yards left on the reel the drag would then be about 55 lbs., assuming it wasn't cherry-red. By then, I better be icing the spool and chasing the fish with the boat! ;)

Thanks for the advice.

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

TJ did you see the fish? You could've hooked a giant. They're down here. Not often seen or caught, but they're here :)

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

TJ did you see the fish? You could've hooked a giant. They're down here. Not often seen or caught, but they're here :)
    maybe a big stingray. :)

15. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

We don't know what it was, it could be anything but for sure it wasn't minnow size fish :) .

Frank was the angler, it was a slow morning bite. He cast the popper, popped it few time and stop to light up a cigarette.
    There were a big boiled about 150 feet from the boat and it all the hell broke loose.

I always tell my self this "Use the largest reel possible when fishing in deep water oil rig in the GOM"

I got spooled once in Dianna Hoover rig back in early 2000 after that incident I promised my self to fish with the largest reel possible:D .

At that time I was using Shimano Kaikon 4000 with 65lb PowerPro, paired with custom build Calstar 700H if I am not mistaken on the rod.

16. pametfisher

We don't know what it was, it could be anything but for sure it wasn't minnow size fish :) .

Frank was the angler, it was a slow morning bite. He cast the popper, popped it few time and stop to light up a cigarette.
    There were a big boiled about 150 feet from the boat and it all the hell broke loose.

I always tell my self this "Use the largest reel possible when fishing in deep water oil rig in the GOM"

I got spooled once in Dianna Hoover rig back in early 2000 after that incident I promised my self to fish with the largest reel possible:D .

At that time I was using Shimano Kaikon 4000 with 65lb PowerPro, paired with custom build Calstar 700H if I am not mistaken on the rod.

Any idea what the drag was set at?

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

As long as you set your drag about 1/4 of line rating, you shouldn't worry about line breakage even you see the bottom of spool.

18. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Initial drag setting was 22lb with drag scale but I had turned the drag knob 2 times in the durations of the fight. About 5-6 clicks the first time, then about 6-9 clicks or more during the panic situation the second time.

19. pametfisher

Initial drag setting was 22lb with drag scale but I had turned the drag knob 2 times in the durations of the fight. About 5-6 clicks the first time, then about 6-9 clicks or more during the panic situation the second time.

I don't know the reel exactly but I bet the drag was close to 50 lbs. by the time you reached the bottom of the spool. Must have been quite a fish!

I guess you just have to live with it when you get outgunned. :(