connecting to terminal tackle?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by nxtbgctch, Apr 13, 2009.

1. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

What is everyones favorite knot for connecting 80-130lb mono or flouro to terminal? I have been using a palomar and always liked the knot but it doesnt seem to stay seated well with anything above 80lb. I am mostly using seaguar. Looking for something that will retain the majority of line strength and not require superglue to stay put.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I use crimps for most everything over 100lb

d-a

3. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

What is everyones favorite knot for connecting 80-130lb mono or flouro to terminal? I have been using a palomar and always liked the knot but it doesnt seem to stay seated well with anything above 80lb. I am mostly using seaguar. Looking for something that will retain the majority of line strength and not require superglue to stay put.

You've got a lot of good choices and should take one that will deliver 70% of actual breaking strength. I agree that in thick mono/fluoro the Palomar is tough.

A Uni Knot will be my choice this year. I'll make sure it forms to look like a Nail Knot when finished. Probably four or five turns for 80# and above, maybe only three if I use heavy leaders. I'm testing that now.

My reason for using this knot is that you can get it 90% finished without having to pull the line too hard against the terminal tackle, which can cause abrasion of the line.

I tested the Actual Breaking Strength of my Seaguar 80# Fluorocarbon yesterday. It's about 95 lbs. Therefore I'm expecting knots that break at about 65 pounds. I'll test that too.

4. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

5. fishologist

fishologist Member

i crimp almost everything up that hi with aluminum crimps, i also use a thumb knot if i have to quickly rerig something on the water

6. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

For mono to 150lbs I like the San Diego knot. For flouro, anything over 80 gets crimped.

7. pametfisher

After reading all the ideas in this thread, I decided to go bust some knots between phone calls. I tied up a four turn Uni and a two turn Jansik (another knot I've used a lot for terminal tackle), in 80# Seaguar, actual breaking strength 95 lbs.

In a hurry, I decided gloves weren't needed. The Jansik broke at 75 lbs., putting a 1" gash in the back of my hand. :( After getting some gloves, the Uni broke at 77.5 lbs. I guess either are fine.

One thing that I noticed is that neither knot was fully seated until I had loaded it with more than 50 lbs. At that point, the knots were rock hard with no further seating.

8. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Thanks for the responses! I am going to try the thumb knot, uni, and San Diego knot when I get home tonight. I have seen the thumb knot tied in 130lb mono but didnt know what it was called. I dont really trust crimps except on 200lb+ stuff.

Pametfisher, I appreciate the test info. Nice to find out my seaguar actually breaks above the rated strength. Is there any chance you could test it with a Palomar, San Diego, and Thumb knot? My scale only goes to 50lbs.

Any additional test results would be cool.

9. pametfisher

Thanks for the responses! I am going to try the thumb knot, uni, and San Diego knot when I get home tonight. I have seen the thumb knot tied in 130lb mono but didnt know what it was called. I dont really trust crimps except on 200lb+ stuff.

Pametfisher, I appreciate the test info. Nice to find out my seaguar actually breaks above the rated strength. Is there any chance you could test it with a Palomar, San Diego, and Thumb knot? My scale only goes to 50lbs.

Any additional test results would be cool.

I know from prior tests that you will get the same results with all those knots if you tie them correctly. The best rule of thumb (no pun intended) is that these knots will all reduce the actual breaking strength of the line by 30%.

So figure out the Actual, then multiply by 0.7. I always get numbers a little above that.

Btw, the Thumb, Uni and Nail Knots are all the same when you're done. Just a different way to get the same result.

I'm a fan of the Palomar, I just find it doesn't pull up well in the stronger mono/fluoro lines.

Try the Ryoshi if you want something that is easy, fast and strong. See what you think. I called it a Jansik but this is what I actually used. Ryoshi Knot

10. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

I will give the ryoshi a try. Any idea how it will tie and hold with 130lb mono?

11. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Just FYI for others. The thumb knot seems to be the way to go with big mono. It ties very easy with 130. I just got done tieing it in 300lb fairly easily. It seemed like it would hold also.

Thumb Knot - Knots - Thai Fishing Guide