Congress/Oil

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Gunsmoke, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

Gas at $4.00 a gallon. Who’s to blame? Thanks to the environmentalist lobby and its influence on Democratic legislators in Congress, the U.S. has, for decades, been prohibited from drilling for oil in places that we know contain billions of barrels of proven reserves.

All of the “NO” zones are places where the U.S., thanks to the Democratic Party, is prohibited from drilling for oil. But wait … it gets better.
    ***China, Cuba, Canada and others continue to drill off our shores where US companies are not allowed to drill because of Democratic policies!

Yes, that’s right … China and Cuba are actively exploring oil fields 50 miles from Key West, Florida while U.S. companies are barred from working in this area because of U.S. policy . So, instead of allowing the most environmentally responsible companies to operate there and increase our domestic supply, China, who has a dismal environmental record, is preparing to suck our close, lucrative oil reserves dry. Unbelievable.

Investor's Business Daily recently explained how irresponsible the Democrats have been on the energy crisis. They lay into what they consider to be the worst Congress ever for …..

~ Failing to allow drilling in ANWR. We have, as President Bush noted, estimated capacity of a million barrels of oil a day from this source alone -- enough for 27 million gallons of gas and diesel. But Congress won't touch it, fearful of the clout of the environmental lobby. As a result, you pay through the nose at the pump so your representative can raise campaign cash.

~ Refusing to build new refineries. The U.S. hasn't built one since 1976, yet the EPA requires at least 15 unique 'boutique' fuel blends that can be sold in different areas around the nation. This means that U.S. refinery capacity is stretched so tight that even the slightest problem at a refinery causes enormous supply problems and price spikes. Congress has done nothing about this.

Turning its back on nuclear power. It's safe and, with advances in nuclear reprocessing technology, waste problems have been minimized. Still, we have just 104 nuclear plants -- the same as a decade ago -- producing just 19% of our total energy. (Many European nations produce 40% or more of their power with nuclear.) Granted, nuclear power plants are ex pensive -- about $3 billion each. But they produce energy at $1.72/kilowatt-hour vs. $2.37 for coal and $6.35 for natural gas.

~ Raising taxes on energy producers. This is where a basic understanding of economics would help: Higher taxes and needless regulation lead to less production of a commodity. So by proposing 'windfall' and other taxes on energy companies plus tough new rules, Congress only makes our energy situation worse.

These are just a few of Congress' sins of omission -- all while India, China, Eastern Europe and the Middle East are adding more than a million barrels of new demand each and every year. New Energy Department forecasts see world oil demand growing 40% by 2030, including a 28% increase in the U.S.

Americans who are worried about the direction of their country, including runaway energy and food prices, should keep in mind the upcoming election isn't just about choosing a new president. We'll also pick a new Congress.

If we elect a liberal Democrat as president in the Fall and keep the same Democrat-controlled Congress, nothing will change ….except gasoline prices, which will keep going up.

I copied and pasted the above info:
    My comment below.
    Unfortunately, all above is true. Some of us are fortunate to have some oil production. Other's don't. Were all getting screwed.

Also, we know there are over I BILLION barrels [ probably over 2 billion] of oil reserves in the Santa Barbara channel area alone in California but, because of the environmentalist, we can’t drill there. There is surely much, much more offshore of California but, no drilling at all has been allowed for over 20 years. Offshore of Florida probably contains more reserves than the rest of the gulf coast combined but, to my knowledge, not a single well has been drilled. Already, if the Cuban group finds reserves close to our waters, they will drain our reserves with their wells because our government will not allow any drilling there.

Throughout history, most great powers were destroyed from within, not by an outside enemy. We are well on our way and its happening fast.

Attached Files:

2. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Gunsmoke: You pretty much hit the nail on the head on all points. The only thing that got glossed over somewhat was the coal issue--we have more of that than virtually any other country on earth--and there are clean ways to use it. The second omission was the unintended consequences of the ethanol catastrophe.

I consider myself a liberal in some ways and have voted Democratic in the past on occasion--but I doubt I ever will again. Liberals have three things in common--(1) they care about a feel-good fix more than a real solution, (2) they ignore the unintended consequences of the policies they bring into being, and (3) they are the world's most blind hypocrites--(e.g., Ted Kennedy talking about "sustainable energy" but opposing a wind farm within view of Hyannisport or Al Gore having a 20,000 square foot house and multiple SUV s.)

We may soon have both a Democrat in the White House, and a lopsided Democratic congress. For a while, they will get away with blaming the consequences of their actions on the leftover effects of a "...failed Bush presidency." But not forever--and it will swing the other way. When all the little teeny boppers who are ass over elbow for Obama find out that even their cherished Prius won't get them down the road any more, and when John Travolta has to give up even one of his 5 private jets--then we might get somewhere--but I doubt it will be for the near term.

Russ

3. papio

papio Senior Member

hey guys, just wondering why the the majority republican congress sat on their azzz for the last 8 years and did nothing about drilling for them copious
    barrels of oil. i'm voting independent this time around.

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

papio: I won't argue with you on that one. The truth is that the environmental lobby has even has some of them acting like pansies. I don't pretend for one second that the Republicans should get a free pass on some of the crap they have pulled. Just look at Bush's stance on illegal immigration. You can kind of understand the Democrat's being in support of it because it brings in millions of people who will eventually vote for them and look for their share of the pie (without baking it in some cases.) But the Republicans, in an effort to provide cheap labor for business for the short term--are signing their own death warrant. Thank God for the Gun and Defense lobbies to keep things sane!

As long as we have tens of thousands of thermonuclear weapons, we will be fine. :D

Oh we'll all go together when we go.
    Every Hottentot and every Eskimo.
    When the air becomes uraneous,
    We wil all go simultaneous,
    And the party will be come as you are.

And we'll all bake together when we bake.
    There'll be nobody present at the wake.
    We will cry out in delirium,
    When we spot that first ICMB,
    And we'll be fifty billion tons of well-done steak.

Now I feel more cheerful.

Russ

5. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

because it takes more than a one vote majority to push anwr drilling through the senate

good post

6. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Did ya know that the first third or so is the easiest to get from an oilfield?
    The second third will not come as fast. The last bit is almost as hard to get as the finding was in years past.

The folks that have had the opportunity to fish the Gulf of Mexico know that structure attracts fish. Be it bridge rubble from the Florida Panhandle and Alabama areas or the oil fields off the Mississippi to Texas coast.

We have had a gasoline crisis in the past. Long lines to wait in to gas up. When we started to ramp up efforts to solve this problem for ourselves, the OPEC group upped production and prices fell. Efforts into alternative fuels quit being sought. They were in their first third of crude pumping...

Today we find that OPEC production may be peaking. The only alternative fuel sources are over priced in terms of energy used versus energy gained.
    The low sulphur fuel congress mandated is hard to produce from the crude that we get in some places like where that diCktater Chavez lives. In fact we are selling this to folks outside the US and then importing a grade of fuel that the government will allow us to burn based off of the Clean Air Acts EPA - Clean Air Act - Title II Emission Standards for Moving Sources
    And the Energy Policy act of 2005 Energy Policy Act of 2005 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now we use ethanol as a replacement for MTBE Methyl tert-butyl ether in gas... Corn based ethanol that is grown through natural gas and diesel fuel utilizations that are almost, ALMOST equal to the ethanol fuel output.

We as a people have chose this path. We might can choose to make better decisions on some ways that we presue our future. We will need to fully develope our existing technologies and to explore new methods at the same time.

Energy costs and concerns over the housing fiance market will continue to rob money from our paychecks when we visit the grocery store and other aspects of our day to day lives.

I feel the effects each day myself. I will stand up and affirm that I am living in the greatest land in the whole world. There is no where else I would rather live.

I served time in the USMC so that folks could b!tch about how the USA is run. (I do too). And have our other freedoms.

Please vote and attempt to understand the real issues about the gas/fuel prices of today. There could be opportunities for folks to profit...

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

8. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

Aren't you glad you're not getting all the gov't you're paying for?

9. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

It's unfair to blame the majority republicans for failing to do anything. They have been giving away your money in Iraq.

BBC NEWS | Americas | US spending in Iraq ignored rules

Who among you that owns a business could collect 11million without any record of goods or services provided or proof of delivery?

10. Boonebird

Boonebird Member

China has ruined everything for us. Man there killing us and we keep buying there sh*t. Whats up with that ? Keep our men out of work. Sell our tuna have them rape the sea. Whats next oh yea pay top dollar for scrap metal. So what we build costs a fortune. What a joke. We need some new leadership next january im just not sure who to vote for.

11. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Great Read! Pass it on!

How America can achieve true energy independence

by Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison

Published in the Houston Chronicle June 12, 2008

President Reagan said, "There are no easy answers, but there are simple ones." This principle applies to America's energy woes. Since January 2007, the price of a gallon of gasoline has soared from $2.33 to a record $4.04. Over the next two decades, global demand for oil is expected to rise by 50 percent. Further price escalation is inevitable.

When confronted by these facts, the energy solution is simple. We need more energy! We should be increasing our production of oil, natural gas, clean coal and nuclear power — and those resources should come from America, instead of foreign dictatorships.

One of the best-kept secrets in politics today is that America is one of the world's richest energy nations and is capable of achieving energy independence.

Our most valuable untapped resource is the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, ANWR, which is estimated to contain 10.4 billion barrels of oil. This remote frozen tundra could be drilled with minimal impact on surrounding life. ANWR is the size of South Carolina and the area drilled would be roughly the size of Dallas/Love Field Airport.

In 1995, the Republican Congress passed legislation to open ANWR for energy production. But President Clinton vetoed our bill. If he had signed it, America would now be producing an additional 1 million barrels a day, almost enough oil to replace all of our daily imports from Saudi Arabia.

Beyond ANWR, federal law prevents oil and gas production in the deep waters off the Atlantic and Pacific Coasts. These areas, along with a section of the Gulf of Mexico, could contain as much as 115 billion barrels of oil — greater than Venezuela's current reserves — and 565 trillion cubic feet of natural gas — greater than the combined reserves of Iraq, China, Yemen, Oman, Nigeria and Venezuela.

Federal laws also prevent us from exploiting one trillion barrels of shale oil in Colorado, Wyoming and Utah — an amazing amount that is three times what Saudi Arabia has in reserve.

In May, I joined 18 other Senate Republicans to introduce the American Energy Production Act of 2008. Our bill would remove unnecessary government barriers to domestic energy production and allow us to tap our vast resources with environmental safeguards. This should be bolstered with an energy portfolio that includes renewable and alternative sources such as solar, wind and nuclear power.

My Democratic colleagues have a starkly different approach to the energy crisis: It is one that creates no new energy. Their answer is to tax energy production.

In 1980, Congress passed a "windfall profits tax" and the consequences were devastating. In the six years following that levy, domestic oil production dropped by 1.26 billion barrels and imports of foreign oil rose 13 percent. The disastrous tax was repealed in 1986. Rather than learn from that mistake, some in Congress would impose the same ineffective tax on the oil industry today.

Their proposal also seeks to blame "price gouging" for soaring energy prices. The Federal Trade Commission has been vigilant in its investigation of pricing practices in the oil industry. It has consistently found no evidence of market or price manipulation, and instead points to global supply and demand as a leading factor in the price of gasoline.

In fact, as of January, the average tax on each gallon of gasoline was 47 cents, while the oil and gas industry has testified that it earns only four cents per dollar of gasoline sales.

The Democrats' plan would also repeal incentives for expanded refinery investment. By increasing taxes and reducing the incentives to refine oil into usable gasoline, we will end up with a smaller supply of domestic energy, which in turn fuels price increases, perpetuates our present crisis and keeps us at the mercy of OPEC. Energy companies would be hit with new taxes on foreign earnings, potentially exposing producers to double taxation and hindering their ability to compete for oil and natural gas reserves on the global market.

This year, we will spend about $500 billion to import oil. All of those dollars should stay here in America, instead of being sent to foreign regimes that may be hostile to our interests.

We need energy for Americans produced by Americans, and we need it now. Instead of searching for scapegoats, we should be searching for additional energy resources to be part of a bold, comprehensive plan for America's energy security in the 21st century.

Hutchison is the senior U.S. senator from Texas and is the chairwoman of the Senate Republican Policy Committee.