Color of spectra matter?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Jason_L, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Jason_L

Jason_L Guest

So I am trying to find 65lb spectra for my fin nor,and was wondering if the color mattered that much since you fish a leader anyway,is it more preference?Also anyone know off hand of a site that decent pricing on it? Thanks

2. atunatado

atunatado Member

My preference is white, because its easier for me to see in the dark in case of backlash, plus you can always paint it with a blue sharpie close to your leader if fish are extremely finicky.

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Jason,

What you need to do is ask your Uncle Louis's advice. Don't you know he the world's foremost authority on everything? He informed me just today that his Stella 20,000 would hold 700 yards of 100 pound Spectra. And he still believes that even after I sent him various links showing it only holds 270 or so. Being a great believer in overkill (as witnessed by his use of a .340 Wby on cottontails, he will no doubt advise you to spool that baby up with 1000 yards of 250 pound, lock down the drag, and inhale deeply as the gears melt down with a YFT on the other end. I have actually seen him meat fishing on the flats with heavy spectra and when that boy set the hook, only chunks of redfish jaw came out of the water.

Cheers,

Uncle Russ

4. jig

jig Senior Member

I use blue 65# spectra from Bass pro. It is only $30 for 300yds. I like the blue as I think it is less visable in the water to fish (no scientific proof though). The fish is looking up at a blue sky, or blue/black. I have caught plenty of fish on it, including YFT. I do use a flouro leader of 60#, about 2'.

5. Jason_L

Jason_L Guest

LOL Were you talking about cliff claven?Oh,nevermind,just my uncle. :) I am supposed to meet up with him at lunch tom. to show him the fin nor,which claims to hold 400 yards of 100lb braid,its alot bigger then I thought it was gonna be,right now it has 30lb cabela junk on it,which will be fine for PINs,but I want to put the big boy line already.Anyways,back on subject,so jig you think it might play a part?I really wanted to throw that hi-vis yellow on,or something of that nature,perhaps white,just so I could see it better when surf fishing or whatever at night,plus I like the way it looks spooled ;) But I will go with purpose over style lol

6. jig

jig Senior Member

If you fish a longer windon leader or topshot, it probably does not matter. On a short leader, such as the 2' I use, I think it does matter. But everyone has their own opinion. Some think it does not matter at all regardless, as they are working topwaters exclusively, and fast. So they feel visibilty to the fish is not an issue because the line is not in the water. However, I throw subsurface baits also, so my line is in the water. And no matter how fast I work a topwater, the line will be in the water now and then. White and any other spectra line color for that matter is highly visable in the water. Also, the blue is not hard to see from the boat, looking down. I would not say its high vis, but you can see it better than you can see mono.

I remember reading an offshore article by Pat Lemire (in Texas Fish and Game I believe) where he says he actually uses white spectra and then uses a marker to color the first few feet blue to camo it up. Of all the colors, I believe blue is most difficult for fish to see in the water. JMO though.

7. Jason_L

Jason_L Guest

Ya atunatado said to do that with white as well. I know on my bass rigs I fish green braid and hardly ever tie a leader on,unless C-rigging,one thing I felt has added bites was adding black sharpie to break up the solid green,someone on TFF had suggested to do so,not sure if its just mental,but I feel it has improved the bite a bit. I don't think power pro makes a blue color,so I guess I will go with green. Did see someone making a red braid,wasnt cajun I dont think,now thats something I dont get,how can canjun claim to be less visable at certain depths and be red,and they sell red hooks to simulate bleeding bait,lol

8. jig

jig Senior Member

Yeah, I have always thought that funny too. All colors pretty much go grey.

But white is white, and black is black, so I think they stand out regardless. With blue, I am kinda matching the color of the sky and water, at least in the top of the water column. But you're right, to a high degree its mental. If it makes me think I should stand at the rail and make just one more cast, its worth it.