Color of braid?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by scup, Aug 29, 2009.

1. scup

scup Guest

Would anyone have specific recommendations as the best color braid to use for jigging or popping BFT and YFT? White, Red, Green, Yellow or would it make any difference? Thanks guys!

2. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

whatever tickles your pickle. I don't think it really matters. If you're going to be jigging I would get color coded braid so you know what depth your fishing at and not guessing.

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Color doesn't matter. You will, however, need a mono or flouro leader for jigging. Color coded lines like Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid is recommended for finding depth as mentioned above.

4. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I like a really nice white braid like JB Hollow. JB for the looks.

But most of my jig and chunking reels have a metered line.

Casting, Red JB solid, because I can not find spider wire ultra cast

in 500 yd spools. (at least where I have looked)
    I want to try Tuff Line, But have only bought but a few 150yd
    spools and have not had to top off yet.

5. fishingduck

fishingduck Member

Color braid does not matter to the fish since you're gonna have either mono or floro leader/wind-on anyway. However, I like the high visiblity color i.e yellow or white for poping, just to help to see where the line go a little better.

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Braid color doesn't really matter at all. I have just about every color on different rods and they all work great. With a 6' to 8' leader fish couldn't care less.

7. scup

scup Guest

Thanks for all your input guys. I'm going with yellow 80lb. Sufix Performance braid on my Stella 18000. Bimini Twist to a BHP Wind-on Leader(25' Yozuri Pink fluorocarbon) on my OTI 200g. popping rod unless someone suggests I shorten the leader which I can do with my knife. Thanks again!

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Thanks for all your input guys. I'm going with yellow 80lb. Sufix Performance braid on my Stella 18000. Bimini Twist to a BHP Wind-on Leader(25' Yozuri Pink fluorocarbon) on my OTI 200g. popping rod unless someone suggests I shorten the leader which I can do with my knife. Thanks again!

I recommend you use a shorter leader between 10' to 15' for casting. I find that longer than that and I usually have problems with the leader coming out the guides properly and will also shorten your cast distance.

You should consider Daiwa Samurai Braid in 80lb Yellow as it is more supple than Sufix braid and I have had excellent results with it. Casts like a champ. :)

9. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

The good thing about white (or hi vis yellow) braid is that you can meter them yourself. I just used a red marker and made a red section every 25 feet.....they charge you alot more to do that at the factory, but it works just the same.