360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

cod jigging gusa

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  bonsiguy 
#1 ·
billy what gusa blank would you recomend for building a lite weight cod jigging rod that would be around 7 ft 6 in for up to a 16 oz jig?

#4 ·
i will pull on a OTI 300g see how that feels
it sounds close to what you are looking for

i did just get another blank to try. it is close to the 300G JM but just a little faster. i will take a better look at that also.
these are about half the price of the others;)

#6 ·
not worth the money to buy a gusa wahoo for cod jigging..plently of cheaper options that are just as good if not better Ie calstar 900M cutdown to 8-8.5ft seeker csb909 cut down a ft, st croix blanks etc.
for non-gusa, that csb909 cut is nice,but a little heavy..
i also like the lami CGBT961MH ,also doubles as a tuna rod

#7 ·
The Seeker CSB is a fine rod, but the blank alone weighs 14.5oz. The Wahoo weighs in at 8oz. For any rod recomendation, someone can recommend an Ugly Stick, and it will work just fine, for those looking for higher quality tackle, the blanks will be better (lighter yet more powerful) and cost more.

#8 ·
billy thats just it i have the uglystix . i fish with a 900 m cut to a 14 and i was looking to build a light weight nimble rod that i can jig when there is a light boat and enjoy fishing .the calstar is a great rod its takes alot out of ya after two days and one nite of jiggin .just lookin to lighten it up a bit .i fish with a avet mx for my jig stick and a lx for my bait rod which is a 800 h . thanks for all the ideas

#9 ·
i will pull on a OTI 300g see how that feels
it sounds close to what you are looking for

i did just get another blank to try. it is close to the 300G JM but just a little faster. i will take a better look at that also.
these are about half the price of the others;)
i guess what he is looking for is the tip of the 200 with the backbone of the 300??he felt he couldnt whip the jig with the stiff ness of the 400 and 300 i built him thanks

#13 ·
ralph how are those blanks for strength can i swing a 10 lb cusk over the rail .can one get away with high sticking a bit ? can i jig tuna with it .
these are pretty stout and rated 50-80 graet for tuna;)
you may get away with high sticking...but if you dont you will know:p :D

#15 ·
The only Wahoo which has broke is the one Kil had slammed on teh side of teh boat when the fish ran under the boat. Even with his rod rail, which put several Comotechs and otehr blanks into their grave. The Wahoo is fine for fishing the rail with 200# Tuna, it will be fine for swinging 10# Dogfish too, lol.

FWIW, in the event that it does break, any GUSA purchased from me is waranteed by me, you don't have to wait (provided I have the blank in stock) for a replacement, and I'm not going to send you off to deal with GUSA, I'll deal with them for you. With the Wahoo, I do not have any fears of them breaking - there is 1/4" thick of graphite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.