Coastal Charters Sportfishing update

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Capt. Dom, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

To say this year has been insane is just a blantant understatement. I have been flat out, August was a killer month for me, getting out all but a handful of days. The days all blend and blur together at this point, going 10 hours plus a day every day will do that to you. the insane fishing made it difficult to get any posting done, or anything else besides sleep and boat maintenance for that matter over the past month or so.

The last week of August saw some decent fishing out east of Chatham. Fished Crab ledge to Nauset, and saw tons of fish Mon.-Thursday before the full moon. Best day was Thursday, the feed was insane, lasting all day starting around 9am with fish from low 50 inch class to the larger high 60 inch models busting up everywhere in the afternoon. Nice to see so many smaller fish around, good signs of things to come.

Friday and Saturday were very slow fishing days, not much signs of activity. I think the high moon and lots of light ahad them chewing all night, from the sounds of the radio it was much the same everywhere. The topwater and jig game gets even harder when the fish go on hiatus. Two skunks in a row but a few good shots on both days that just couldnt put the hooks in fish. I guess I was due for a few stinkers after the amazing run all season long with multiple fish days the norm. Hard to believe we have about half the season still to go, with the best fishing yet to be seen. I hope my body and my gear can handle the punishment.

Yesterdays trip was another good one on the jigs, getting 6 hits and landing two, and almost an over under. First fish to the boat was a nice 64 inch model, but the second took a hammered diamond jig and not much drag, a fat 49 inch butterball was released to fight another day after only 6 minutes of tugging on the line. We also got into a decent bite on the jigs with the codfish over a few different wrecks in 240-270 feet of water, making for a nice mixed bag with tuna and groundfish.

We did see several pods of much smaller fish chasing bait up in 70 feet of water just outside Pollock Rip on the way in, really nice to see so many fish of newer year classes around, and in very healthy numbers.

This blow has me shorebound for the next few days, just cleaned everything off the boat for the first time all season, giving the ride a good thorough scrubbing this afternoon.

The amount of fish present has me absolutely giddy anticipating the fall run.....it will be epic to say the least. I will be running open boat trips every Friday, in addition to randomly in October and November, for those of you who are flexible and dont have a crew, a good way to cash in on the insanity that will be occurring all through the fall.

2. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Hey Dom,

Yeah figures I pick friday to head out there. We couldn't get a bite all day,bait, jig,troll.

Nice talking to you out there when that guy told me to drop my ballon bait to the bottom! I was being nice and not saying anything back to him, then you chimed in , lol

We hit another area for a quick trip Monday and got one.

I don't know how you do it day after day, I get beat up just doing a couple days!

3. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

Dom!!

I am back from my elk hunt...all healed up and ready to fish!!!! Do you have any openings on Saturdays coming up????

4. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Hey Dom,

Yeah figures I pick friday to head out there. We couldn't get a bite all day,bait, jig,troll.

Nice talking to you out there when that guy told me to drop my ballon bait to the bottom! I was being nice and not saying anything back to him, then you chimed in , lol

We hit another area for a quick trip Monday and got one.

I don't know how you do it day after day, I get beat up just doing a couple days!

The radio has been fun this year, especially out east....good intentions, you know the expression, LOL

It was tough fishing for sure that weekend, but still beats a day on the couch. Yesterday we got into a good bite in the am down south near the sword, then tuned up on the codfish over open bottom and on the wrecks. had fish to 15 pounds, and a few tuna around as well while jgigging the bottom. Should be a great fall out there. PM me if you want the southern numbers for cod/tuna.

Glad to hear you got one on Monday, that was another slow day from what my buddies tell me, so congrats on pulling one out in difficult conditions.

Good luck out there!!

5. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Dom!!

I am back from my elk hunt...all healed up and ready to fish!!!! Do you have any openings on Saturdays coming up????

Al!!!!!

Hope you got some nice venison steaks for me!!

I do have a few saturdays open, give me a call and we can set something up. I dont do much pre booking on weekends because they are easy to fill. Dude and Andy might be down with a trip, they got to be itching to get out there as well....

Talk to you soon.

6. AndyP

AndyP Member

I am definitely down with more than one or two trips this season. I have no doubt that Dom can put us on bft, whether small or medium school or giants. A few cod are OK as well, but the chance to get into a giant on a jig or on top is just too compelling to ignore. We have one of the best bft fisheries on the planet off the Cape.