Coastal Charters Sportfishing BFT 6/12/2009

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Capt. Dom, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Made it out today in the slop and rain to do battle with Charlie. Day started out at 4am, and had a nasty wind kicking already, but 3 hearty souls who wouldnt take no for an answer today. The fog wasnt as bad as Wed., and today we heard the birds before I saw them. The terns were quite noisy, and then the telltale groans and splashing of the mammals in the distance let us know we were in the right area. There were several pods of tuna which showed themselves within eyesight, but were up and down very quickly. I again opted to position the baot in a likely area with good marks and good life, and it once again produced, this time thankfully much quicker than the last trip!

Around 8 am we found what we were looking for.

John was up in front on the casting deck, and fired a sluggo into a group of fish that came up within 25 yards of the boat . We were sitting bobbing and working the entire water column with jigs, poppers, and swim baits in unison. Where lifeless ocean was a second before, just as he cast the ocean erupted. As soon as the lure hit the water, he was off and running on his very first tuna on spinning gear. as he set up to fight his fish, Matt tied into another fish, a bit biggfer obviously than Johns. As JOhn fought his fish to the boat, a school of smallish tuna came up with it. The fish had swallowed the sluggo, and we knew Matts fish was bigger, so I opted to cut the line and hope for the best. The fish looked to be maybe 50 inches or there abouts, in the 60-70 pound class. That in itself gets me excited there is another year class showing up of smaller size, means more fish to cast at other than these tough 60 plus inchers. Shouldnt be long to I land one, as it appeared a rather large school.

The second fish came to the boat after a 15 minute tussle, and taped out 63 inches, roughly around 150 pounds I would say, and very fat for this time of year. Had 4 whole makcs in its belly, along with sandeels from 2 inches to over 6! The amount of bait is incredible this year.

We had one other hookup, but that fish decided to swim away with an entire rod and reel setup(thankfully not mine) and to add insult to injury, the same angler dropped his camera into the water minutes later. I will spare him the gory details, but there is a tuna swimming with a pretty expensive necklace out there right now. Just part of the challenge of open boat fishing in nasty conditions chasing outsized tuna.

We tried at a few more pods as we cruised slowly back in, but no more love and nasty conditions had even Tim who got the goose decided to head in and call it early. Good group of guys who will be back in the fall to do it again.

View attachment 7288

Attached Files:

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

We had one other hookup, but that fish decided to swim away with an entire rod and reel setup(thankfully not mine) and to add insult to injury, the same angler dropped his camera into the water minutes later. there is a tuna swimming with a pretty expensive necklace out there right now.

That's really not funny, but I got a good laugh out of it.:) :) :) It hasn't happened to me, but I've seen numerous people go in the drink holding onto their rods in rough seas. One guy left a bubble trail as he wouldn't let go for over fifteen seconds. When his head finally popped up about one hundred yards away, he was no longer holding onto his rod.:eek: He quickly got the nickname "Human Lure". Even though he has passed away, we still talk about that huge bubble trail he left holding onto that marlin.

I hope your client will someday laugh about his losses today. If not, his friends will always remind him of it.:)

3. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

I actually had to stifle a laugh, but his buddies were pissin their pants instantly. The poor guy was just talking about how awesome his new Stella was, and how the drag was second to none. He was pretty good about it, didnt get too visibly upset, and managed to crack fun at himself a bit. The camera going in on his mates fish was even better, we all had a laugh at that one. Thankfully it was just a cheap point and shoot digi, but man he will have to hear about this one everytime he goes out with that same crew, and certainly anytime he is with me again. Paying homage to the fish gods is one thing, but he took it to a whole new level! John, if you read this, I am sorry man.:cool:

4. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Dom, you need to take that dude out again and soon! Paying that kind of tribute to "lady blue" means he is gonna be due BIG!!!! He may be the one to land a giant this year....

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

great report capt

6. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

Poor Guy!!! That was a Custom Smith WRC-80P/35C popping rod (North of $550) and a new Stella 20KFA ($600)...I am sad just thinking about the loss and it wasn't mine!:(

Dom, please don't let that happen to me this year!!!:)

7. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Poor Guy!!! That was a Custom Smith WRC-80P/35C popping rod (North of $550) and a new Stella 20KFA ($600)...I am sad just thinking about the loss and it wasn't mine!:(

Dom, please don't let that happen to me this year!!!:)

The thing is, it was just his adrenaline that got him. He got all tensed up, and lactated like a tired tuna. His fingers were locked around the rod, and when he went to take one hand off to loosen the drag, the whole thing just sort of skipped out away from the boat and disappeared at warp speed, matter of fact he didnt even make a sound until a good minute after it happened. The worst was the other two snickering, It was all I could do to not bust a gut. When the camera went, it was hold your gut laughter even from him though, as he did a less than graceful tumble off the casting deck trying to get "a better angle" in 3 foot slop. Camera hit, 3 or 4 pieces then tumbled in after trying to locate his rod for him.:D

I spoke with the guys again this evening, and they gave me the green light to tell all, well, Matt and Tim did anyway.