clear coat

Discussion in 'Lure Building' started by T_H, May 22, 2016.

1. T_H

T_H Active Member

Hey guys.

Just applied my first coat of envirotex lite to some lures i made. Just wondering how long to wait between coats and leave them on the rotisserie. Cheers guys. Will be trying tarbender too so be good to hear peoples thoughts on both items.

Cheers

Tim

2. AmberJack

AmberJack Well-Known Member

at least 24 hrs...you can apply a second coat when feels dry to the touch , but I would wait for a full cure

3. T_H

T_H Active Member

Cheers Amberjack. Thanks for your help

4. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

crossbonding between epoxy coats is strongest if subsequent coats are applied before full cure
    ie
    heavy tacky
    additional coats at full cure is only a big disadvantage if the hardened fullcure coat had any portioning inaccuracy. Excess component A or B tends to affect surface layer strength & may result in delamination issues under impact.
    The "may" risk is directly proportional to the portioning inaccuracy.
    wiping a fully cured epoxy clears with thinners between coats can result in some milkiness if its "the wrong day".

FWIW

Icy Joe likes this.
  5. T_H

T_H Active Member

Cheers DenisB.

Great info to know. The old rotisserie is gunna get a work out i guess.

Thanks again

Tim

6. Kipi

Kipi Active Member

Quality info there Denis, thanks... Did my first Tarbending last night and they've come out pretty well. Was wondering about 2nd coating but decided against it... Hoping to get them full of GT teeth marks in a month.

7. rrocco

rrocco New Member

I recoat at 24 hours and have never had an issue with e-tex. I have no experience with tarbender. I usually apply the epoxy in the evening and leave the spinner turning overnight. I turn off the motor in the morning and leave them on the spinner. After final coat leave them alone for a few days before handling and adding hardware. At that point they are hard, smooth and clear as glass.

8. Bigcountry1219

Bigcountry1219 Active Member

I've built plugs for striped bass and bluefish for years. Curious to hear why you guys are using multiple coats? In all of my experience, I've found thicker coats of epoxy tend to peel more often and actually be less durable than a single, thin coat.