Circle Hooks on Assist Rigs

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by gmack, Mar 6, 2009.

1. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Anybody use circle hooks on assist rigs? I've got to make some and looking at different hooks to use. We are mandated to use circle hooks for natural bait when fishing for reef fish. Just curious how circle hooks work on assist rigs.

Gary

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I have not tried them like that but it goes against the saying for circle hooks. crank not yank. The jig is constantly jumping up and down so I certainly won't be the one to try it out.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i remember a while back on the deepjigging site where the guys used circle hooks on jigs and had great sucess.

4. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I've read a few reports of circle hooks working well as bottom hooks.

5. gman

gman Senior Member

it goes completely against the concept of circle hooks. The technique with a circle hook is to reel tight with no violent moves such as setting the hook however with jigging the jig is being ripped through teh water column where a violent strike occurs.

It may be a worth while test in NC, I will tie some and try but I wouldnt think it would be very successful

6. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I've been using Super Mutu offset circle hooks on my hammered jigs since last summer. The result is more solid hookups (less losses) and the hooks are right in the mouth corners.

I have Mutu's on buttterfly jigs but since I use hammered jigs about 80% of the time, I haven't been able to determine if there's an advantage or not.

7. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Drifter: Is that hook set up as an assist hook or on the bottom of the jig?

8. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I've used the circle hook both ways, assist and bottom - equally effective.