360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't do much chunking, mostly popping and a little jigging, but I wanted to make a good chunking setup for my next trip. ( big E jan. 15th 60 hour ) I am a swivel guy. I put a swivel before all my jigs, and my top water setups. Anyway, I put a 20 yard 80# izorline top shot on my shimono conventional setup, and then one of the spro #8 swivels + split ring and then circle hook, but it looks very unnatural for drifting a chunk. I took all that off and just tied my circle hook straight to the izorline.What is the best way to set up for chunking. Any input will be greatly appreciated ........thanks.....Rance!

·
5,457 Posts
Tie straight to the hook. You want to be able to hide all your hardware in the chunk.

d-a

·
1,448 Posts
my connections are always the same when chunking. Braid to leader with a PR knot the directly to circle hook. the reason i use a PR knot is because i can tie it well and trust it not to split under pressure. i would like to use wind ons this winter though. i have snelled the hook and tied with a uni and have had success with both.

·
3,718 Posts
I like to put a swivel inline while chunking to prevent line twist.Braid to swivel to Fluoro leader, fluoro directly to the hook. I'm a BIG believer in as little hardwear as possible,But I feel in this case it's Needed. You'd be surprised what it takes to break a 40 lb sampo ball bearing swivel(no snap) and just how tiny they are.Spro also makes some tiny stuff with high Lb test ratings,as do several others I'm sure. I don't know what they break at ,But it's definately more than 40. Hey Pametfisher.

·
175 Posts
For chunking you might consider putting a swivel about 10ft up from the hook to help with the "chunk spinning", then just tie the hook on. its ok to have a long leader on a tall boat like the big E since youve got the height to work with.

also, 1 other small thing
try not to hook it through the skin or around a bone, that way you can give it a few hard jerks before reeling in, your chunk falls off and the spin is even less.

·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
North coast, thats the same way I've been doing it on the past couple of trips only I've been using the #8 spro swivel (255 # ) Problem is that I can only get 15 to 20 foot of leader past the swivel and still get the tuna close enough to gaff, and I wasn't sure that was enough leader on a chunk line.

·
652 Posts
I learned this trick after fishing out of cape may NJ this year for bluefins. Previously I use to fish a hook to usually fluoro leader (about 6-7 feet) to a swivel to my main line and an egg sinker would slide down the main line and sit on the swivel (aka North Jersey style). Well I found out in South Jerz the guys there have a great way to make this super simple. First just tie on your hook to your mainline or you can tie a fluoro leader to your main line and tie your hook to that if necessary. Then just use a rubberband to wrap a bank sinker around your mainline wherever you would like (these guys were doing it a solid 20+ feet up from the hook). The sinker is so far from your hook it really helps in keeping a natural bait presentation without any misc. terminal tackle to scare away wary tuna. When a fish bites the line pulls tight and your sinker falls to the bottom and all you reel up is your line straight to the hook impaled into Mr. Tuna. Nothing can fall you except the bare minimum tackle necessary in fishing (hook and line). Also having that sinker wrapped to the main line means the line isn't going to spin anywhere above that. Whatever line spin may occur is only between the sinker and the hook and is minimal enough and shouldn't warrant any swivel.

·
5,457 Posts
North coast, thats the same way I've been doing it on the past couple of trips only I've been using the #8 spro swivel (255 # ) Problem is that I can only get 15 to 20 foot of leader past the swivel and still get the tuna close enough to gaff, and I wasn't sure that was enough leader on a chunk line.

Just tell the mates that you have a long leader and it's going to need a handline. I had to and they didn't say a thing, just hand lined it to gaff range and sunk the steel. I wasn't planning on chunking, but after seeing 5-6 in the chunk line I grabbed Mcgolfers trolling rod with a snap swivel on it. I tied my leader straight to it.

d-a

·
Banned
831 Posts
I buy 75ft flouro leaders from Basil at BHP tackle and attach them to my braid via a loop to loop them snell a small circle hook.
why the need for a swivel? cut a slit in your chunk and slide our hook all the way in the bait so it is hidden and feed line off your rod tip so the chunk falls naturally in the current. If you don't get bit when you engage the reel the chunk comes off and there is no twist.
a swivel only adds clutter that a tuna can see and another weak link with two knots.
most charter captins in Venice use a topshop of mono and tie a 10ft section of flouro with a uni to uni which saves money over my setup but I only fish 20 or so times a year as apposed to thier 150 or so trips.

·
969 Posts
I do a fair amount of tuna chunking in the Northeast Canyons. I can't imagine not using a swivel between the main line and the leader. There is often a lot current and without a swivel you'd have one hell of a mess on your hands in no time.

Otherwise, we've had good success with egg sinkers on the mainline. I connect both the mainline and leader to the swivel via a Palomar knot. Never had a failure yet. However, do not use very small swivels with a Palomar knot. The Spro Power Swivels have very fine wire and small orafice so through some trial and error I would this knot doesn't work with this swivel.

I've switched to a Sampo 150lb ball bearing and it's now all we use.

Oh yeah, leader length is about 7' which means you usually don't need a leader man, just a rod man and a gaff man.

·
Banned
831 Posts
in the gulf we generally are working our lines all the time meaning we are pulling line off the rod tip (reel almost in freespool) letting the chunk fall naturally with the chunks in the slick.
If you are putting the reel in gear and just letting the chunk spin in the current you do need a swivel but then again that is not going to look very natural to the fish, especially in the daytime.
this is alot of work but I don't go out there to relax.

·
652 Posts
I do a fair amount of tuna chunking in the Northeast Canyons. I can't imagine not using a swivel between the main line and the leader. There is often a lot current and without a swivel you'd have one hell of a mess on your hands in no time.

Otherwise, we've had good success with egg sinkers on the mainline. I connect both the mainline and leader to the swivel via a Palomar knot. Never had a failure yet. However, do not use very small swivels with a Palomar knot. The Spro Power Swivels have very fine wire and small orafice so through some trial and error I would this knot doesn't work with this swivel.

I've switched to a Sampo 150lb ball bearing and it's now all we use.

Oh yeah, leader length is about 7' which means you usually don't need a leader man, just a rod man and a gaff man.

As I mentioned I too use to use the eggs sinker method but I'll NEVER go back! It's friggen annoying when you wanna change weights that means you also have to retie a knot and during travel those damn egg sinkers are banging up against your rod/reel/whatever else and I just cringe at that. When using butterfish yes those damn things love to spin and cause trouble but sardines are a wayyyy better bait they dont spin and the tuna flat out love them a lot more than those stupid butters. If anyone is still using butters they need their head examined. Even for chunking I'd still be tossing the 'dines they are just tuna candy! When you have a sardine on your hook they are much more streamlined than the butters they spin MUCH less, catch more fish, and allow for no swivel/egg sinker combo, just use a rubberband to wrap a sinker around a pinched piece of line. I'm telling you those south jersey guys I met had the right idea!

·
223 Posts
I second the motion on using the rubber bands and the bank sinkers. Very versatile setup, easy to change weight.

I also use a swivel to mainline, 7' floro leader to hook. San Diego Jam knots all around.

I also find it helpful to make up leaders/swivels/hooks ahead of time and keep them in ziplock bags. Makes it a lot quicker to change leader size.

I have not fished the Big E or in the Gulf, but another trick used in the Northeast to get your bait out is to tie a balloon to your line and use a lighter bank sinker/rubber band, and feed line as it is carried away from the boat.

·
406 Posts
I live in ct and ive only been goin offshore for 4 years and that rubband around mainline is the only way ive ever seen it done on the party boats ive been on out of jersey and RI. Never occured to me that was regional $ht....:confused: lol as far as the butters ive seen em work just never for me only squid has worked for me chunkin... then again ive only done a handfulla trips. maybe next year ill try the sardine deal cant hurt. for chunkin I lve the small spro high test barrel swivels, anyone else prefer to use bigger snap swivels or barrel swivels while trolling? I juss find it easier to swap out lures on pre rigged leaders.

on a side note sorry for the terrible typing when ya got hands almost as big as mr. bills and u use a netbook it just aint pretty.:D

·
652 Posts
I live in ct and ive only been goin offshore for 4 years and that rubband around mainline is the only way ive ever seen it done on the party boats ive been on out of jersey and RI. Never occured to me that was regional $ht....:confused: lol as far as the butters ive seen em work just never for me only squid has worked for me chunkin... then again ive only done a handfulla trips. maybe next year ill try the sardine deal cant hurt. for chunkin I lve the small spro high test barrel swivels, anyone else prefer to use bigger snap swivels or barrel swivels while trolling? I juss find it easier to swap out lures on pre rigged leaders.

on a side note sorry for the terrible typing when ya got hands almost as big as mr. bills and u use a netbook it just aint pretty.:D

I concur on the squid. Live squid is tops and there is absolutely no spinning/line twisting issue whatsoever with them. As far as dead baits go sardines are far and away better than butterfish if you ask me. Interesting you've gone outta jersey and only seen the rubber band method. Which boats were doing that? I began tuna fishing on the party boats out of Point Pleasant NJ and never saw anything other than egg sinkers - at the time I seriously thought that everyone everywhere fished for tuna that way but you live and learn.

G

·
what is done in the gulf is more of what id call chunking versus the baitfishing in the NE. I think both would work in either location, depending on the situation.

the chunk isnt going to get down to say, 120' or more as easily as will 8, 10, 16, etc ounces of lead. being that lots of yellowfin are on or near the surface in the gulf, this method of chunking produces good results. if fish are up in the canyons you could do this as well.

each area has its own method and its always fun to read about how guys do things in different locations. one nice thing abt the internet :)

·
Banned
831 Posts
what is done in the gulf is more of what id call chunking versus the baitfishing in the NE. I think both would work in either location, depending on the situation.

the chunk isnt going to get down to say, 120' or more as easily as will 8, 10, 16, etc ounces of lead. being that lots of yellowfin are on or near the surface in the gulf, this method of chunking produces good results. if fish are up in the canyons you could do this as well.

each area has its own method and its always fun to read about how guys do things in different locations. one nice thing abt the internet :)
Right on. keeping an open mind and learning from people in different regions makes us better fishermen which is what it's all about.

·
3,718 Posts
Good stuff guys,
When I mentioned using a 40 lb swivel, It was because these things are TINY They will go through most Guides. Wind on. You can wind a variety of smaller swivels through the guides. I chunk for both Bass and tuna.
As someone mentioned, Freelining ,with the reel in freespool, drop 5 or 6 chunks in the slick at the same time as your hooked chunk and slowly feed about 50- 100 yds out. then I set that one in a holder and feed out a second one,while the first one sits. When the second one is out ,put that in the holder and reel up the first one and start again.Leapfrogging, This it where you need a ball bearing swivel. You'd be surprised how many times I get bit with the bait just sitting there, spinning in the current.

·
969 Posts
Can you guys describe the rubber bank to the sinker technique? Not sure I understand.

I've also had good luck using a fishfinder slider to the mainline. It stops at the swivel and makes changing the weight easy too.

·
377 Posts
take a rubberband and place it thru the eye of the sinker.Place the loop coming thru the sinker over the sinker. You now have the sinker tied to the rubber band. Now place the rubberband with the sinker dangling against the leader.Run the sinker over the leader back thru the loop several times so the rubberband does not slide . You are ready to go. When you hook a fish ,depending on the size of the rubberband, the sinker will usually break off. I hope I described this correctly and hope it helps.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts