30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
China's Fishing Fleet Is Vacuuming the Oceans
(Coming to a Gulf near you ?)

·
5,121 Posts
China's Fishing Fleet Is Vacuuming the Oceans
(Coming to a Gulf near you ?)
US is the #1 IMPORTER of SEAFOOD in the world.
About $20 BILLION a year,
around 85% of the seafood consumed in this country is imported.

CHINA is the #1 supplier of seafood to the US.

PS> throwing stones in glass houses thing.

PPS> we can create more American jobs,
reduce our dependence on China,
reduce imports and save the ocean,
by increasing commercial fishing quotas in the US.
:)

Reactions: GiantSquid

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, but time for a FACT CHECK - - China is by far the greatest CONSUMER of seafood in the world, way larger population than US, which country CONSUMES the largest amount by far is the fact that matters (in addition to which country is by far the greatest vaccumer of the sea), Red China has the largest fishing fleet in the world BY FAR, Tiawan is 2nd. I support the Indonesians, the Argentinians, and hopefully soon the US Coast Guard stepping up to the plate and sinking Chinese fishing boats violating their waters.

As of 2019 and going back many years, the EU was the no.1 importer of seafood in the world, not the US.

·
5,121 Posts
Sorry, but time for a FACT CHECK - - China is by far the greatest CONSUMER of seafood in the world, way larger population than US, which country CONSUMES the largest amount by far is the fact that matters (in addition to which country is by far the greatest vaccumer of the sea), Red China has the largest fishing fleet in the world BY FAR, Tiawan is 2nd. I support the Indonesians, the Argentinians, and hopefully soon the US Coast Guard stepping up to the plate and sinking Chinese fishing boats violating their waters.

As of 2019 and going back many years, the EU was the no.1 importer of seafood in the world, not the US.

Your links describe FISH consumption,
which is seafood and FRESH WATER fish,
and fish that are raised through aquaculture and mariculture.
Also, when using whole weights, the amount of SHELLFISH, which are weighted in their shell,
dramatically throw off the weight when trying to ascertain fish weight.

Curious, why would the US Coast Guard be sinking Chinese fishing boats
off the coast of Indonesia or Argentina ?

PS> still does not change the fact that 85% of the SEAFOOD consumed
in the US, is harvested from the waters of other countries,

and our biggest supplier of said seafood is Red China.

PPS> EU is the European Union, which is NOT a single country,
it comprises 27 different countries.
So, like I stated, the US, is the #1 IMPORTER of seafood in the world.

PPPS> the details my fishy friend, the details matter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the details matter, and regardless that the EU is many countries it still does not change the fact that the US is NOT the #1 importer.

I'll wager with you that regardless of fresh water fish, regardless of aquaculture and mariculture , the CHINESE still consume way more ocean going fish per tonnage than the US population.

And the most salient fact is the Chinese are the biggest exploiters of the oceans by far.

Almost everyday now there is a piece in the news about them "ganging up" several dozens to hundreds of trawlers in some territorial waters of a protesting nation.

I did not imply the US Coast Guard would be sinking Chinese fishing boats off the coast of Indonesia or Argentina, their own navies are up to that, YouTube is full of such videos.

·
5,121 Posts
Yes, the details matter, and regardless that the EU is many countries it still does not change the fact that the US is NOT the #1 importer.
Comparing 27 countries to a single country
is surely a valid comparison.
When you are right, you are right.

Might want to consider a copy for yourself.

PS> Yes, the Chinese consume more per capita than Americans do.
Should they cut their consumption?
And we rely on the Chinese to sells us that seafood so we can feed Americans,
so the Chinese are exploiting the oceans on our behalf, since we are the customers.
#Rock glass houses.

PPS> US is the #1 consumer of BEEF in the WORLD,
we eat about 7 times as much as the Chinese do per person (per capita)
Producing beef is environmentally damaging as well,
should we cut back on beef, because we are destroying the
terrestrial environment worldwide,
or does only the ocean count?

PPPS> " I support the Indonesians, the Argentinians, and hopefully soon the US Coast Guard stepping up to the plate and sinking Chinese fishing boats violating their waters. "

Who is "THEIR waters"? If you meant the US, it would be OUR waters.
So, where are you hoping the USCG will be stepping up to the plate to
sink illegal Chinese fishing boats?

·
6,135 Posts
That is awesome.
"rescue" a small example of China's economy while you let them continue to rape the world's oceans.
WIN!
way to go, Joe!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bottom line... Too many humans, rampant consumerism globally and little incentive to stop breeding like flies. Glad I'm old. Feel for my 2 kids, but thank heavens they have plans to NOT breed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
6-6-21 Oceana Finds Hundreds of Chinese Vessels "Vanishing" Along Argentina’s Waters

1 - 12 of 12 Posts