Check out this bend...

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by rhale, May 19, 2009.

1. rhale

rhale Senior Member

A friend came over so I could help him spool up his new Alutecnos Gorilla 20 and he didnt bring a pole so I put it on the first rod that I built which was a Calstar GF7455H all roller chunking rod. After spooling the reel we started checking out the drag settings and one thing led to another and we ended up in the yard lifting 40lb dumbells and even hooked the snap swivel to my belt and took off running across the yard so he could feel 40lbs of drag peeling off the reel.....:D

I am very impressed with the Alutecnos reel in terms of quality, finish, and drag. I will get one of my own soon. Anyway here is a pic of the 40lb dumbell lift.

Attached Files:

2. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Wow! It looks like the rod could support more weight!

3. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Those Gorilla 20's are nice, I probally should get one too.

4. stresst

stresst Senior Member

NICE! but only 40lbs??? LOL Those reels are crazy. To think an International 50 made 25 years ago put less than 20

5. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

You look like Dennis Braid fighting a Giant Tuna.

6. makorod

makorod Junior member

you out to just hang shindle off that tip , dumbell enough, or that jigging clown andy. whats going on hale!! lets go fishing.

7. Jimbo450

Jimbo450 Member

It looks like the rod could handle a bit more weight, the rod tip isn't quite even with the butt of the rod. But it looks like the line is just about to rub the blank of the rod right now. Id feel more comfortable with one more guide some inches in front of the foregrip to make sure that would not occur. That is one stout reel, Alutecnos Gorillas have some serious drag ratings, pushing 40 pounds! What a BEAST!

8. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Thats a great rod...

9. Depraved

Depraved Cabo is a POS

How long did you last running with 40lbs of drag lol

10. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

11. screaming_reel

screaming_reel At peace

You guys should have made a video of you running across the yard!!!I'm sitting here laughing to myself picturing you running across the yard w/ 40# of drags.