Cheaper to make you own Assist hooks

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by jojo, Oct 24, 2006.

1. jojo

jojo Member

OK guy would it be better for me to make my own assist hooks or just to buy them .I would like to know if any of you guys would know if there is a greater cost savings or not? Does any one know where I could get all of the items at one place to make them myself and how does one put that loop in the top?

2. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

Way cheaper making your own. I make my own with a splicing needle, 500lb kevlar cord, and heat shrink. With the hollow kevlar cord, you can make a splice end loop with the needle. Tie it to the desire hook. Some great hooks are the Owners brand and I just found out some nice Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp hooks that are much cheeper than the Owners and are just as strong and just as sharp. Cut a little piece of heat shrink and shrink it over the knot on the hook eye. What great about making you own is that you can make it at any length.

3. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I have not tried the kevlar cord. I use 300 lb Jerry Brown spectra in pretty much the manner that Bulllred describes. Yes it is cheaper to make your own.

4. jojo

jojo Member

Where would I get the kevlar cord and how do I make the top loop.I'll use the cord just becouse I don't have any JB hollow sprectra

5. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i use a paperclip straightened out and then doubled over for such short pulls. I also use JB hollow 300#. I make short and long assist hooks, with mylar and feathers put in the winding on either Owner or Gamaktsu live bait hooks. I figure I have around $1.00 in each assist hook by making my own. Plus I know what quality goes in each one, along with custom feathers if I feel like it.

I work in Garland. Maybe one day you can stop by around 4:30 and I will show you how easy and simple it is. I should be able to give you some JB 300# hollow to play with. You need some large 9/0 Live bait hooks though before you come by. I have everything else.

6. Deep_Sea_Gull

You can buy JB through....

www.ringedhooks.com
    www.bhptackle.com
    www.reelproshop.com

I have used them all and have had ZERO problems

7. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

It takes a little trial and error to get it down right, but making your own is definitely the way to go. I bought a heat gun which shrinks the heat shrink tubing the best...(it blows some damned hot air)...and the result looks professional. I find that 1/4 inch diameter heat shrink is perfect for the assist hooks because it's small enough to wrap your line and big enough to push over the eye of the hook. I made a bunch before the Sept. 15th Big E trip and none of my assist hooks failed. I toyed around with a double assist hook on one loop, (one facing one direction and the other facing the other direction), and it worked, but the blackfin were hitting single hook setups just as well. I didn't see an advantage of having two hooks.

8. STx Fisherman

Here's a pic of the double assist hook that I mentioned....

Attached Files:

9. jojo

jojo Member

Guys what's the model number of the hooks used to make assist hooks .I'm going to buy some of that JB line just about 100 yards of it for now.

10. Deep_Sea_Gull

I used a lot of Gamakatsu live bait hooks.
    Take a look at VMC 7262BN hooks too.

11. Dr Jeff

Dr Jeff Member

STx: where did you find that red heat-shrink?

12. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Dr. Jeff,

Try Ace hardware and home depot.

13. STx Fisherman

I found some 1/4" heat shrink on E-Bay at a pretty reasonable price. Just search for heat shrink tubing and you'll find a bunch.

14. galveston1602

galveston1602 Senior Member

This is from randy at anglers pro shop. Ive used this method, the only thing I change is I add heatshrink afterwards. its 100% easier than pulling loops etc. i use 200# spectra or tennis shoe strings whichever I can find laying around

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Northern Tool has a good variety if you need some quick...

16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

People,
    The best 1/4" heat shrink is the 3 to 1 from 3M, most of what you find is the 2 to 1.

17. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Hey randy the knot seems very simple but im weary because it seemstoo simple. Have you had any knot failure with thatknot? It seems like you pull hard enough it will just slip out. Thanks

18. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

galveston1602,

Great series of pix and thanks for taking the time to put it together, but I have the same concern as peterk814... It seems like that simple knot would pull right out. Have you really put that to the test?

What brand, size, and mfg. number hook are you using in the photos?

19. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i have used this set up and haven't had any failures. the super glue to the knot makes for a real solid connection....rick