Charter Party boats for tuna in Northeast?

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by JCollins, Jan 21, 2009.

1. JCollins

JCollins Member

Not sure which forum to post this in because I have more than a few questions. You guys have been a great help to me in the past and I figured I would see if anyone could help me again.

1) Does anyone have any good suggestions of charter party boats going out of the Northeast for Tuna? I am looking for 2-4 day trips. The only one I could find so far was Yankee Capts.

2) I also would like some info on rods and reels. Is conventional better or spinning? It looks like we would be doing mostly jigging and live bait and not so much popping. This is somewhat of a guess.

3) To go with the above question... I would need sizes for any conventional reels because I am not as familiar with them as I am with spinning. I am guessing that the Stella 20k is the spinning reel to go with. I have an 8k right now with an OTI 7' rod already. I am guessing this is way to small for such a trip.

I have many more questions but I figure they might be answered by answering some of the above. Thank you for you help and advice. As I said earlier it has been great in the past.

Jeremiah

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i chartered the Voyager from point pleasant last year.
    nice boat we were taking 15 guys.
    pleanty room for guys to jig, and have a bait or sword rod out.
    bunks for everyone.
    gally is available if wanted.
    they do 22, 30 and 40 hour trips

i may do it again this year if there is interest.

4. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

In NJ the boats I know that go regularly are the Jamaica, Voyager, Sea Devil, Doris Mae. There are others too but these are probably the boat that are out there the most in my area.

Out of Montauk the Viking does trip up to 4 days long

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i dont know if the jamaica charters.....i always had fun on that boat though. if angelo reads this he can chime in as to whether they run private charters.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

as for #2 - if you're primarily fishing NE party boats, i'd recommend conventional.

7. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

1. There are a lot of choices, the north east is big where specifically do you want to go out of at what time of the year. For september october i usually stay north or in ny. Choices, The seven b's, helen h, viking, sunbeam, frances fleet, super hawk. Later in the season late october november i like to fish south where the jersey boats are, the doris mae, voyager, gambler, big jamaica, Ms Barnegat Light, The north star, etc

2. You are better off with a conventional, not that you cant bring spinning. You can pop if you want just ask the crew where its b est for you to go so you are out of the way

8. gman

gman Senior Member

The viking fleet out of LI does the most long range offering some 3 day trips all the way out past the gulf stream which produces big eyes, billfish, yellowfins, swords etc

9. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Just throwing the idea out there, but is there any interest in making a 360 NE tuna charter? charter out either the big jamaica, the viking, or the lady frances ? Get say 20 people or so....

10. JCollins

JCollins Member

Thank you for all the great replies. Like I said before was only able to really find the Yankee Capts. I knew there were more and thank you for telling me what they were. I figured conventional would be the way to go. I am a big fan of Shimano but would be willing to check out something different. I have heard good things about Avets and Accurates also. What would be the proper size I am looking for? Is there a certain size that is good for both bait and jigging?

I think it would be very cool if you guys did a trip up here. I have thought about doing one down that way for a long time. It would be nice to go with a group of guys that take it seriously and know what they are doing.

11. mike garone

I would go with a 30 size reel. I prefer narrows. I use all avets for my conventionals. If I was to choose one reel it would probably be a avet 30 2 speed narrow and spool it with 100# spectra backing and 200 yard topshot of 80#.

For Jigging I also like my avets but some prefer star drags.

12. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

I live "up here" central CT :D General info for those of you here not familiar with the partyboats up here. Say some of you don't want to fly up just for a 30 hr trip or something like that on the voyager i believe it was, the Frances Fleet runs trips of roughly 70 some odd hrs. strange amount I know but the price is 475$ leaves dock 10pm night before posted trip date and returns mid afternoon on the 3rd day. you get 2 full nights of chunking+jigging and troll during the daylight the 3 days. Crew is really good at what they do, and im sure they would be open to suggestions if majority would rather bottom fish during the day or something of that nature.

13. Tunaman40

Tunaman40 Junior member

Just throwing the idea out there, but is there any interest in making a 360 NE tuna charter? charter out either the big jamaica, the viking, or the lady frances ? Get say 20 people or so....

Count me in...........only 18 more to go;)

14. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Count me in...........only 18 more to go;)

Sounds like a blast! I would do it!

15. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Called the Frrances Fleet out of Point Judith RI they said rough estimate for now is for 20 people 600$ per person or 480 for 25 people. It would be on either the 90' gail frances, the 90' admiral frances or possibly the 105' lady frances. I'm calling them back tomorrow for more detail. Trip could be anywhere from late august to early october

16. mike garone

Called the Frrances Fleet out of Point Judith RI they said rough estimate for now is for 20 people 600$ per person or 480 for 25 people. It would be on either the 90' gail frances, the 90' admiral frances or possibly the 105' lady frances. I'm calling them back tomorrow for more detail. Trip could be anywhere from late august to early october

is this for an overnighter or a multi day?

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Chartering overnight trips to Canyon is very risky unless you do it on short notice.
    We had the worst canyon tuna fishing last year, there is good possibility it could repeat this year and weather is always a problem.

18. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

MikeG its for a multi day its like 3 days.

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

MikeG its for a multi day its like 3 days.

I don't understand why NY/Panama airfare is only 340 while Houston/Panama is $800 though the distance from Houston/Panama is much shorter.
    I dont' know why a party boat in RI charges only $480 for 25 guys for three days while pary boat in Texas charges at least double. :)